Northwestern starts stadium rebuild | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Northwestern starts stadium rebuild

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gotta think the lesser programs or even smaller P5 schools are going to go smaller if they rebuild. Attendance is dropping due to online ability to watch games, better viewing experience, etc. Why have a half empty stadium when you can have a smaller, more intimate, packed stadium? Just my two cents.
So you are saying that we are ahead of the curve with the Rent, you know, except for that whole "packed stadium" thing?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Its amazing isn't it? Detractors will responsibly and dutifully maintain their homes over decades (new roofs, gutters etc) and upgrade their appliances, household technologies. etc.
Yeah but that's kind of the thing. The CDRA "defers maintenance" until those normal ongoing maintenance costs get inflated into a need to spend hundreds of millions on capital expenditures. They do the same thing at the XL center and at the Rent. It bugs me a bit because that agency's job is to maintain and run the facilities and it seems to do neither particularly well.

Don't get me wrong here. Rentschler field is our stadium and nothing is, or even should be, going to be built in Storrs absent a considerable upgrade in fan interest. At some point, the cost to maintain Rentschler field is going to become so significant that a rebuild is going to need to happen either in East Hartford, or in Storrs. At that point, serious consideration should go toward moving the stadium on campus, but we are at least a decade away from that.

Reaction Score
First, it still seems odd to me that institutions like Northwestern would want to continue to be part of this semi-pro football whatever it is going to be.

Second, a B1G program in Chicago reducing seating capacity to 35k. Sure it will be an incredible stadium. But it is the opposite of a B1G stadium. Maybe Northwestern already has other plans.

If the Alums want it - and pay for it. Having the founder of Aon as a benefactor doesn't hurt - he is funding a lot of this himself.

That's one of the things when people have that kind of money - there isn't anything "useful" to spend it on - so it all gets spent on trophy assets / nonsense. The good news about that it that it makes its way through the economy, but it is not an efficient allocation of resources.

Reaction Score
Northwestern is a private school and received a 500-million-dollar gift from the Ryan family. Dave said it would take such to have one in Storrs. Guess the name of the facility. The Rent is scheduled for upgrades and repairs over the next two budget cycles. Channel 3 reported the funds being released.
There is a relatively young UConn grad, and I believe she is African American who founded a company and is reportedly worth between 5 and 10 billion dollars. I guess she isn’t a sports fan? Can’t remember her name or the company. Burton and Shenkman could pool their resources and pull it off also.

Reaction Score
There is a relatively young UConn grad, and I believe she is African American who founded a company and is reportedly worth between 5 and 10 billion dollars. I guess she isn’t a sports fan?

Big UConn Athletics fan:

The gift represents the largest cash contribution ever received from a UConn alumnus, and the largest gift dedicated specifically to UConn Athletics. In recognition, the institutional advancement committee of the UConn Board of Trustees recommended naming the facility the Bailey Student Athlete Success Center, pending approval by the full board on Oct. 26.”

Reaction Score
Yeah but that's kind of the thing. The CDRA "defers maintenance" until those normal ongoing maintenance costs get inflated into a need to spend hundreds of millions on capital expenditures. They do the same thing at the XL center and at the Rent. It bugs me a bit because that agency's job is to maintain and run the facilities and it seems to do neither particularly well.

Don't get me wrong here. Rentschler field is our stadium and nothing is, or even should be, going to be built in Storrs absent a considerable upgrade in fan interest. At some point, the cost to maintain Rentschler field is going to become so significant that a rebuild is going to need to happen either in East Hartford, or in Storrs. At that point, serious consideration should go toward moving the stadium on campus, but we are at least a decade away from that.
Yes they are irresponsible stewards too. Should have included.

Reaction Score
Big UConn Athletics fan:

The gift represents the largest cash contribution ever received from a UConn alumnus, and the largest gift dedicated specifically to UConn Athletics. In recognition, the institutional advancement committee of the UConn Board of Trustees recommended naming the facility the Bailey Student Athlete Success Center, pending approval by the full board on Oct. 26.”
Thanks, couldn’t remember her name. Also couldn’t remember if she had been involved in athletics or not, which was the reason for the “?” mark after my statement.

Reaction Score
Same goes for Beaver Stadium. Used to go to a game every year as a kid through college. I swear that somewhere along the lines they figured out how to make the seat numbers on the bleachers even closer together. At least the late November games were warmer because you had someone basically in your lap!
Late November Games are often remembered for how numb you're a** was when the game was over. Nothing beats MSU 2002 for me. It was cool seeing LJ rush for 300 yards, but it wasn't so cool not feeling my cheeks for 2 days after.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Late November Games are often remembered for how numb you're a** was when the game was over. Nothing beats MSU 2002 for me. It was cool seeing LJ rush for 300 yards, but it wasn't so cool not feeling my cheeks for 2 days after.
I was at that game!! MSU was usually the game I was at when I got older because it was usually late November and around Thanksgiving so it was easier to get there. When I was younger I was at Miami, ND, Nebraska games. Rushed the field when they beat OSU which was awesome!!

Reaction Score
I was at that game!! MSU was usually the game I was at when I got older because it was usually late November and around Thanksgiving so it was easier to get there. When I was younger I was at Miami, ND, Nebraska games. Rushed the field when they beat OSU which was awesome!!
2016 Game? I was down there. My buddy got jacked up jumping down from the stands, but he was too tuned up to notice until the next day LOL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom