Northern Kentucky player abuse? | The Boneyard

Northern Kentucky player abuse?

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
On the heels of MaChelle Joseph's firing, there was an article on Yahoo sports regarding the women's basketball team at Northern Kentucky. The following link is an article from one of the seniors on this year's team, describing allegations of abusive behavior by head coach Camryn Whitaker.

Behind Closed Doors: Abuse in Northern Kentucky's women's basketball program

I can understand yelling to make a point...but I have never understood what could possibly be gained by humiliating players; who would want to play for someone like that?

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Damnnnnn...

She doesn't look that mean. :confused: But then Kim Mulkey looks like the evil stepmother, but is probably actually not that bad.

This story is quite engaging, I must say. Not to add insult to injury for the poor girls who had to endure Whitaker's wrath, of course.

Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings about the humiliation part because I've seen situations where students think they're being humiliated when other observers would just say they are being critiqued, and the Odyssey article is the kid's side.

But there's also at least one accusation of physical abuse as well.
I was standing outside the dorm talking to the freshmen and their parents when all of a sudden Coach Whitaker came up behind me and kicked my knees out from under me, knocking me to the ground.

I was in shock and searched for an explanation for this behavior, but all she did was laugh and walk away. She did this knowing that I have a spine condition that kept me out of my first year of basketball at NKU, but that didn't stop her from knocking me to the ground, risking an injury and humiliating me in front of everyone.
I'm thinking it's not OK to kick players knees whether or not they have a spine condition and whether or not you laugh about it and walk away. But if this is true, and it happened in front of other players and their parents, why is it only coming out now? :eek:

Reaction Score
On the heels of MaChelle Joseph's firing, there was an article on Yahoo sports regarding the women's basketball team at Northern Kentucky. The following link is an article from one of the seniors on this year's team, describing allegations of abusive behavior by head coach Camryn Whitaker.

I can understand yelling to make a point...but I have never understood what could possibly be gained by humiliating players; who would want to play for someone like that?
You sure she wasn't talking about the UConn program, seems I've heard a lot of that sitting behind the Uconn bench with 4 letter words attached. I've read a bit about the Scholarship comments Geno has made over the years. AEH, and a few others may have stories too. \
Don't look outward until you look inward.

Reaction Score

Some coaches think private and public humiliating is good motivational methods. To me that is criminal. You don't like my play, say what you don't like. If you don't like my attitude take me in your office and shout at me. Public, whether that is with the team or with the public in my view it is criminal. I would not play for coach that think that;s a proper motivational method.

Reaction Score
So yelling at a player in public is now criminal? Gotcha. Please let me move out of whatever country you're in charge of.

Reaction Score
So yelling at a player in public is now criminal? Gotcha. Please let me move out of whatever country you're in charge of.
It is called psychological abuse. One time isn't . But over and over demeaning a person, player is abusive--cut it any way you want--it's wrong.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings about the humiliation part because I've seen situations where students think they're being humiliated when other observers would just say they are being critiqued, and the Odyssey article is the kid's side.
But there's also at least one accusation of physical abuse as well.
I'm thinking it's not OK to kick players knees whether or not they have a spine condition and whether or not you laugh about it and walk away. But if this is true, and it happened in front of other players and their parents, why is it only coming out now?:eek:
Because courage is not always as instantaneous as we would like it to be. It takes courage for someone to recognize that something is wrong and then to act. Some of the complaints against the Georgia Tech coach were from 2002.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom