North Carolina Investigation | The Boneyard

North Carolina Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's been 8 months since NC was charged with those 5 violations in June 2015, and this after a many months investigation into decade long violations. Imagine for a minute if we had this hanging over our head, it would be stated every time our name was mentioned, as we saw in our APR episode. Early in the season it was talked about from time to time but ESPN is so heavily involved with the ACC I guess they aren't allowed to bring it up anymore. I don't know how long it takes to decide punishment but The Warren Commission only used 11 months to finish an investigation and draw a conclusion that involved the assassination of a President of The United States. Is NC dragging this out or is the NCAA just waiting until the Final Four is completed to dole something out here?

Reaction Score
When UNC appealed (or whatever specific action they took) we knew that it would extend past this season. This has been known since they did it. We won't hear anything until summer-ish.

Reaction Score
I remember reading a few months ago that UNC self-reported more violations. I think that sets the clock back as the NCAA is pretty damn slow.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I remember reading a few months ago that UNC self-reported more violations. I think that sets the clock back as the NCAA is pretty damn slow.

Yes, and for other sports within their program.

Reaction Score
they're only slow when they're trying to figure out how to punish-but-not-really-punish. P5 school violations take them a long time to deliberate on. the G5 serfs get taken out and beheaded the next day

Reaction Score
they tried to shift the focus of the investigation to the sports that don't bring in much revenue (women's bball, mens soccer), however this was still back in Aug so who knows. Like the rest of this board, I'm really looking forward to some trophies being removed from their shelves, but the NCAA's stance seems to be that they are trying hard to not make this their problem. Since regular students were involved in a lot of the sham classes NCAA would like to see this become a purely academic issue, and not a student-athlete issue

Reaction Score
They were never going to punish one of the glamor teams during a year in which they were expected to compete for a title. The verdict will come this summer, quietly, 2 weeks after everybody on the team declares for the draft and it's clear that UNC will be a crap team next year regardless. And it'll be the same thing Cuse got - one year postseason ban, a scholarship reduction and some recruiting sanctions.

Williams will have a weepy press conference, ESPN will write a long story about how it's the fault of AAU programs, and by 2018 most everybody will have forgotten about it.

Reaction Score
Since regular students were involved in a lot of the sham classes NCAA would like to see this become a purely academic issue, and not a student-athlete issue
I never understood how this is even an argument from UNC's side. Student athletes were involved, right? They took fake classes to remain eligible to play, right? Then what the hell difference does it make if some random stoner kids took the fake classes too out of sheer laziness?

It's clearly a student-athlete issue. It's also an academic issue. Why not both?

Reaction Score
I never understood how this is even an argument from UNC's side. Student athletes were involved, right? They took fake classes to remain eligible to play, right? Then what the hell difference does it make if some random stoner kids took the fake classes too out of sheer laziness?

It's clearly a student-athlete issue. It's also an academic issue. Why not both?
if the classes were available to everyone then it's likely going to be seen as an institutional issue which is not within the NCAA's jurisdiction (something like that...I don't get it either). NCAA basically just responds to violations that pertain specifically to athletes

Reaction Score
if the classes were available to everyone then it's likely going to be seen as an institutional issue which is not within the NCAA's jurisdiction (something like that...I don't get it either). NCAA basically just responds to violations that pertain specifically to athletes

Doesn't pass the smell test at all. You could violate academic standards then by including one stooge Cris-Carter-style in every class. Makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Doesn't pass the smell test at all. You could violate academic standards then by including one stooge Cris-Carter-style in every class. Makes no sense.
I don't condone it, that's just the approach they seem to be taking

Reaction Score
Unc should have self imposed a post season ban until the investigation is concluded. SMU, Syracuse and Ville all self imposed their own post season ban. I don't care how long the ncaa takes. UNC should be sitting out until the ncaa is complete.

Furthermore, when they are finally punished there is little doubt this season's wins and particularly post season wins should be vacated. They knew the whole time the investigation was going on and they decided to play regardless. When boat or any player we've had was under scrutiny by the ncaa we immediately sat that player. Our fear was we would be punished harshly for playing the athlete knowing the investigation was pending. There is little doubt any unc player older than a sophomore took advantage of the "paper" classes so each of those players and thr university should be treated harshly when punishment is handed down.

Reaction Score
Unc should have self imposed a post season ban until the investigation is concluded. SMU, Syracuse and Ville all self imposed their own post season ban. I don't care how long the ncaa takes. UNC should be sitting out until the ncaa is complete.

Furthermore, when they are finally punished there is little doubt this season's wins and particularly post season wins should be vacated. They knew the whole time the investigation was going on and they decided to play regardless. When boat or any player we've had was under scrutiny by the ncaa we immediately sat that player. Our fear was we would be punished harshly for playing the athlete knowing the investigation was pending. There is little doubt any unc player older than a sophomore took advantage of the "paper" classes so each of those players and thr university should be treated harshly when punishment is handed down.

They wont retroactively vacate this season's wins since (presumably) they are not longer committing violations. The should however vacate previous championships just as Syracuse should have had 2003 vacated.

Reaction Score
They wont retroactively vacate this season's wins since (presumably) they are not longer committing violations. The should however vacate previous championships just as Syracuse should have had 2003 vacated.
Remind me why 2003 should be vacated?

Reaction Score
ESPN never mentions it though. It seems all forgotten. Reminds me of the Duke-Myron Piggie thing. They just buried it.

you keep forgetting the president of ESPN is a UNC graduate...nuff said

Reaction Score
I had this same thought every single time I saw them play over the last week. It is a joke. Anything they do in the post season they are gong to have to vacate. How is that good for the sport? It's wacky.

Reaction Score
I disagree. They are under investigation, yet they are playing post season games. They should be punished more for moving forward with the post season.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Which violations occurred during 2003?

If we have to explain it...you won't believe it anyway.

Thank you for your continued interest in UConn basketball.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
you think the committee gave unc an easy road bc of what they're going to do with the results of their investigation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom