North Carolina and Virginia may have Big Ten offers | The Boneyard

North Carolina and Virginia may have Big Ten offers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeff Ermann@insidemdsports
Still hearing informed talk that #UNC and #UVA are likely top choices for two more #BigTen spots. May have offers -- can't confirm that yet.

This was the guy (or one of the guys) who broke Maryland to Big 10 story.

Tweet from 45 minutes ago.

Reaction Score
Assuming this destroys the ACC, where will Notre Dame go eventually as a full member. They can't go to the Big 10, unless they go to 18.

To anyone out there who makes these decisions, if they're going to do that, I'd like to suggest that Connecticut goes as team 18.

Reaction Score
Yes, this rumor has been out there before... But this is significant because of the source. It is significant because what happens to Notre Dame? I figured they'd leave a spot for Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Zero chance that UNC would flip. Zero. With the Maryland poaching I don't even think UNC picks up the phone if they have caller ID.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So let's assume:

B1G - UNC, UVA
SEC - NC State, VT
Big12 - Florida State, Clemson

ACC - UConn, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Cincy, USF, UCF, Temple - ND hoops.

STILL better than where we are right now. Hell, add St. John's, Georgetown, Villanova for hoops.

At this point we'll have some regional rivals and still great hoops.

It's not the ideal situation, but it's not the worse - not by far.

Reaction Score
Any school president that turns down the Big 10, to remain in the ACC should be fired for dereliction of duty, if the money difference is close to what is being reported.

Reaction Score
Zero chance that UNC would flip. Zero. With the Maryland poaching I don't even think UNC picks up the phone if they have caller ID.
What makes you so sure? Seems entirely plausible to me.

Reaction Score
Two of the only remaining AAU universities that are viable. Texas being the other obvious one.

Reaction Score
Big 1G is still holding a spot for ND. I think ND needs to think long and hard about the future of college sports. If there are going to be 4 x 16 school conferences and those conferences are SEC, Big 1G, Big 12, and Pac 12, ND will want the Big 1G. Any rumors of more schools going to the Big 1G are trying to get ND ready to move.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
So let's assume:

B1G - UNC, UVA
SEC - NC State, VT

ACC - UConn, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Cincy, USF, UCF, Temple - ND hoops.

STILL better than where we are right now. Hell, add St. John's, Georgetown, Villanova for hoops.

You forgot Miami. They'd be lumped with us.

Reaction Score
So let's assume:

B1G - UNC, UVA
SEC - NC State, VT

Take out UCF and put in Miami. I could live with that conference. Basketball would be amazing and it would be an okay football conference with plenty of potential.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I still find it hard to believe that UNC walks away from the ACC. I would also be shocked if it could happen quickly unless NCSU held an SEC offer.

Reaction Score
I still find it hard to believe that UNC walks away from the ACC. I would also be shocked if it could happen quickly unless NCSU held an SEC offer.
I know. But who can doubt anything anymore? Anything at all? (Still having problems with that rumor of Uconn to the Pac12, but who knows?) That's a joke, btw. Meant to be, anyway.

Reaction Score
Any school president that turns down the Big 10, to remain in the ACC should be fired for dereliction of duty, if the money difference is close to what is being reported.

UNC doesn't need the money.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Agreed, but the one thing about joining the B1G is that removes all future uncertainty about your conference affiliation.

The B1G was already the best collection of public institutions, but now adding Maryland, Rutgers, North Carolina and Virginia is incredible.

I mean, hell they could still schedule Duke home and home out of conference if they really want to.

Reaction Score
UNC is the backbone of the ACC. I'm sure they are pissed at BiG. They are not answering the phone today or this week.

I also cry BS on everyone now saying/thinking the BiG will make $40+m a year in 2018, compare with today's 24m ish. Total BS. Why if cable operators start allowing a la cart pricing then many packages that automatically include BTN will be cut back with BTN left out.

This may be the junky high of college FB. (think internet bubble, or A Rod's salary). Just saying - this is the peak. So many of my friends, die hard college junkies are saying this whole college sport money f&ckfest has seriously dented their interest. Rutgers a desirable football school - give me a break - this is the peak.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can see why the Big 10 would want Carolina. There is no way the state legislature wouldn't find a way to remove everyone if they hung State out to dry. I'm no insider but my first job out of college was for the State of North Carolina. This board consistently underrates the quality of education at NCSU, the size of their fanbase and their influence in North Carolina politics.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UNC is the backbone of the ACC. I'm sure they are pissed at BiG. They are not answering the phone today or this week.

I also cry BS on everyone now saying/thinking the BiG will make $40+m a year in 2018, compare with today's 24m ish. Total BS. Why if cable operators start allowing a la cart pricing then many packages that automatically include BTN will be cut back with BTN left out.

This may be the junky high of college FB. (think internet bubble, or A Rod's salary). Just saying - this is the peak. So many of my friends, die hard college junkies are saying this whole college sport money f&ckfest has seriously dented their interest. Rutgers a desirable football school - give me a break - this is the peak.

A la carte is never going to happen. Cable's bubble will burst some day but it's not the time that YES was valued at $3 billion in a transaction.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Thedevilsden.com, a Duke site, tweeted "Texas and UNC to the Big Ten?" earlier today, too.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the b10 and sec are in this together guys. the goals are this:

-split north and south of all quality brands and lave leftovers for 3rd eastern conf
-force nd which will result in a 8 team playoff with big boys only auto bids
-force the pac to react which will dilute product for oregon and usc while east coast is getting rich

the b10 and sec are going to tear down the acc and plit politics in va and nc as needed to get the job done. they want the b12 to be forced to grab scraps later as a to texas and the lhn. they will force nd north and force bball schools out

md and ruty to b10
uva and unc to b10 while vt and ncst to the sec
now clem and fsu get happy feet. before b12 can get its gems the sec will protect turf and just break even $ wise. they have a network coming in time so they are not worried $ wise.
b10 now has nd in the bag gives nd pick of #18 to the conf -uconn
b12 adds miami, gt, pitt, lville and looks at others for 2-4 more
pac builds on its potential schools to 18 down the road. (byu/bsu/sdsu/unr are locks. maybe haw/nm)

now u can have a 72 team break away in fball where each conf still has 2 slots inn the future to expand to if wanted...

who are the winners in all this -b10 and sec all day, every team involved with them.
who are the losers in all this- oregon/usc and the b12 is the mishmash conf of leftovers and bevo.

the acc adds all big east schools left. 2 private schools from acc wake being 1 will be left out, they will build a fcs fball league based around a power bball league and join the break away for bball reason so they can play in the big boy march tney. that league will have schools like butler, gtown and nova who will all be level fball wise and power bball mid major style.

issue solved....

Reaction Score
Inflation has driven prices of goods up 20-40% this year alone.

Reaction Score
the b10 and sec are in this together guys. the goals are this:

-split north and south of all quality brands and lave leftovers for 3rd eastern conf
-force nd which will result in a 8 team playoff with big boys only auto bids
-force the pac to react which will dilute product for oregon and usc while east coast is getting rich

the b10 and sec are going to tear down the acc and plit politics in va and nc as needed to get the job done. they want the b12 to be forced to grab scraps later as a to texas and the lhn. they will force nd north and force bball schools out

md and ruty to b10
uva and unc to b10 while vt and ncst to the sec
now clem and fsu get happy feet. before b12 can get its gems the sec will protect turf and just break even $ wise. they have a network coming in time so they are not worried $ wise.
b10 now has nd in the bag gives nd pick of #18 to the conf -uconn
b12 adds miami, gt, pitt, lville and looks at others for 2-4 more
pac builds on its potential schools to 18 down the road. (byu/bsu/sdsu/unr are locks. maybe haw/nm)

now u can have a 72 team break away in fball where each conf still has 2 slots inn the future to expand to if wanted...

who are the winners in all this -b10 and sec all day, every team involved with them.
who are the losers in all this- oregon/usc and the b12 is the mishmash conf of leftovers and bevo.

the acc adds all big east schools left. 2 private schools from acc wake being 1 will be left out, they will build a fcs fball league based around a power bball league and join the break away for bball reason so they can play in the big boy march tney. that league will have schools like butler, gtown and nova who will all be level fball wise and power bball mid major style.

issue solved....

wake me up when its over this alignment nightmare is never going to end if that comes true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom