OT: - Normandy Trip: Paying Tribute to those who fought for her Country by #FrenchTastic | The Boneyard

OT: Normandy Trip: Paying Tribute to those who fought for her Country by #FrenchTastic

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I came across a couple of video tributes by a young French women that goes by the handle of FrenchTastic on her You Tube site. Here is the first one which is 36 minutes long. Never Forget those who served and didn't make it home.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've followed this young lady for a few months now, well before her first visit. It was such a bittersweet pleasure to see her reaction to this from the French side, and how so many on that side of the pond haven't forgotten the sacrifices this country made to free her country from the despicable slime of fascism. I lost two uncles to WW2 and my father served in New Guinea. Every one of those plain white crosses is a bare reminder that the fight for freedom never ends.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I've followed this young lady for a few months now, well before her first visit. It was such a bittersweet pleasure to see her reaction to this from the French side, and how so many on that side of the pond haven't forgotten the sacrifices this country made to free her country from the despicable slime of fascism. I lost two uncles to WW2 and my father serves in New Guinea. Every one of those plain white crosses is a bare reminder that the fight for freedom never ends.
One of my Uncle's served with Patton and he went through the town where my wife was from in Germany when they were on the way to Berlin. He had photo's of the church and the City Hall, which is now the church's administrative building.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There is an Emmy award winning documentary about the African American vets of D Day It’s called A Distant Shore. My wife gave birth to the producer/ director/ writer. It’s notable that many of those vets were not especially treated with honor back in US civilian life, facing segregation and other forms of discrimination. A visit to the DDay beaches, cemetery and museums, that I was able to do, is quite an experience.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The worst of the fighting, on Omaha Beach, was a critical element in the overall success of the D-Day landings in Normandy. One of the elements that historians point to in assessing the eventual success of the US assault on Omaha Beach was the relative inexperience of the US forces.

The young Americans on that beach, under withering enemy fire, didn’t know their situation was hopeless. So somehow, against all odds, they fought their way off the beach. It gives me chills just thinking about what those G.I.’s faced on that “Day of Days.”

Reaction Score
We have an obligation to make sure our young people realize what these men and women did for their country and the world in the middle of the 20th Century so that their sacrifices are never forgotten or taken for granted.

Reaction Score
my wife and I went to Normandy 2 years ago. We visited all of the sites including the American Cemetery. The Cemetery is situated on a beautiful spot ,is very moving and well maintained. we were there in September With no crowds at any of the sites.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
my wife and I went to Normandy 2 years ago. We visited all of the sites including the American Cemetery. The Cemetery is situated on a beautiful spot ,is very moving and well maintained. we were there in September With no crowds at any of the sites.
We were there almost 20 years ago about a month after the DDay anniversary. For people who haven’t been the beachside museum is at Utah beach, the cemetery at Omaha Beach. My wife and I lucked into a personal guided tour at the museum because it was pretty empty. Apparently the casualties at Utah Beach were far fewer than at Omaha because Utah beach was not the intended landing spot, they were off course and wound up out of range of the bigger German weapons.

It takes going there to understand just what sitting ducks our guys were at Omaha beach. The beach is very deep and runs right up to the cliffs. The plan - and it worked - was to throw a huge number of troops at the Germans knowing we would have a huge number of casualties. The cemetery is an amazing combination of sad and beautiful.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My youngest daughter visited Normandy in 2008 while on a high school trip. She was quite impressed with the historical import of the place. Most kids her age were taught very little about that time period in school. But she was lucky to have an AP history teacher who engaged the kids more deeply than many teachers regularly do.

Reaction Score
I was there in Mqy 3 years ago... Either right before summer or right after summer are great times to visit, in terms of crowds and weather... and the whole Normandy area is fantastic, from the WWII museum in Coens to the wonderful little town of Bayeux to the D-Day beaches and all that goes with them, and finally Mt. Saint Michel, which is awesome.

Attachments

• Normandytank.jpg
    Normandytank.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 110
  • NormandyPill.JPG
    NormandyPill.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 114
Reaction Score
Just to continue pimping Normandy (beyond the D-day beaches and the cemetery, here's Mt. Saint Michel and Bayeux... both are must see's if you visit the region.

Attachments

• Mont8.jpg
    Mont8.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Bayeux.jpg
    Bayeux.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 111

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics