Non-UConn News, 2023 part I | The Boneyard

Non-UConn News, 2023 part I

Reaction Score

Well then. Some clarity on the Edwards eligibility situation. Doesn't sound like academics is the issue.

Dumb question but why would Kentucky need to sign a waiver to let her play? I thought the ncaa made rules for that? Unless the rules are different after the 2nd transfer but I’m not sure what those protocols are

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Kentucky's response. And now it's a matter of who to believe. Graduating is an academic issue in my mind, but man this is just messy.

As I suspected.... I don't see anything happening from this though

Reaction Score
As I suspected.... I don't see anything happening from this though
It's messy and one has to wonder what gave Edwards the impression that she would be able to play this season. Her tweet indicates she was aware of what could happen if she left. How/what gave her and Baylor the confidence this could be worked out is the million dollar question, which we'll likely not get an answer to.

Reaction Score

Well then. Some clarity on the Edwards eligibility situation. Doesn't sound like academics is the issue.

From what I understand, if a player transfers more than once, the coach has to sign a waiver. I know there have been other players who have transferred more than once and did not have to sit out a season. Alexis Morris at LSU is one and she did not sit out a year. I assume the coach at A&M signed her waiver. It is good that Kim gave Alexis another chance and the previous coach signed the waiver. She seems to be doing well at LSU.

Yes this is the rule but what is Kentucky gaining by preventing Dree from playing this year?

From what I hear Dree has worked very hard at Baylor to bring grades up, be a good teammate, do community service, etc. We do not understand why Kentucky is forcing her to sit and not giving her a chance to continue improving. It seems that most coaches sign these waivers. Very disappointing…. This could possibly hurt Kentucky with future recruits.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I understand, if a player transfers more than once, the coach has to sign a waiver. I know there have been other players who have transferred more than once and did not have to sit out a season. Alexis Morris at LSU is one and she did not sit out a year. I assume the coach at A&M signed her waiver. It is good that Kim gave Alexis another chance and the previous coach signed the waiver. She seems to be doing well at LSU.

Yes this is the rule but what is Kentucky gaining by preventing Dree from playing this year?

From what I hear Dree has worked very hard at Baylor to bring grades up, be a good teammate, do community service, etc. We do not understand why Kentucky is forcing her to sit and not giving her a chance to continue improving. It seems that most coaches sign these waivers. Very disappointing…. This could possibly hurt Kentucky with future recruits.

The UK coach is saying it would have been dishonest to sign the waiver.

Reaction Score
The UK coach is saying it would have been dishonest to sign the waiver.
There are several players who have transferred multiple times who did not sit out. It does seem like other coaches sign them if it is correct that a waiver is required for more than one transfer.

Regardless, it does not appear UK coach is going to sign it. I assume Dree can play next year since she is sitting out this year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I don't understand what Kentucky is gaining either.

If she had graduated she would have been a "grad transfer" and I do not think a waiver would have been required. She notes in both her statement and it is noted in Kentucky's that she did not graduate. For the 2nd transfer, apparently you need "cause" and her claim was that she did not have an opportunity to play at Kentucky (but her real reason was she didn't want to). I'm not criticizing her, just stating the facts of how things got there.

As to other transfers, for example, for all the criticism of Adia Barnes turning over her roster from last year, she very clearly stated in the paper that she would do whatever she needed to insure a landing spot for the folks she didn't really want. If this came up with any of them (2 were making a 2nd transfer, not sure on grad status) I'm sure she signed.

Reaction Score
This quote from the ESPN article about the situation caught my attention.

"Kentucky said its compliance staff met with Edwards in March to give her a detailed outline of what she needed to do in order to be eligible this year if she opted to transfer. Kentucky also said it informed every school that inquired about Edwards, including Baylor, that she would not be eligible for 2022-23 if she did not graduate."

So if Kentucky doesn't succumb to the external pressure of this being made public, which I don't see happening, does Edwards stick around for another season or take her chances with the WNBA draft?

Also, to someone's comment about this affecting Coach Elzy's ability to recruit, I'm not sure if that's possible based on what's come to light. They fully outlined what Edwards' situation was to her and teams that inquired. And per the article and Kentucky, it sounds like they could have been considered fraudulent for signing a document that wasn't applicable to Edwards' situation. If recruits and parents take this as a negative thing, I'd be surprised by that.

Reaction Score
Collens even said they took Edwards in knowing it wasn't guaranteed that she would play or be eligible this year and that they knew they were taking a chance.

It sounds like they (Baylor) were banking on the NCAA to give her a waiver if thats the case. If Kentucky informed every school of that way ahead of time.

Reaction Score
Broken record but I hate, hate waivers. Edwards didn't want to play at KY then fine, she can leave. I wouldn't say KY is gaining anything from this but also I don't think Edwards is being punished for anything. I tend to believe the school explained the situation to her before she left.

Reaction Score

"Kentucky said its compliance staff met with Edwards in March to give her a detailed outline of what she needed to do in order to be eligible this year if she opted to transfer. Kentucky also said it informed every school that inquired about Edwards, including Baylor, that she would not be eligible for 2022-23 if she did not graduate."

So if Kentucky doesn't succumb to the external pressure of this being made public, which I don't see happening, does Edwards stick around for another season or take her chances with the WNBA draft?

Also, to someone's comment about this affecting Coach Elzy's ability to recruit, I'm not sure if that's possible based on what's come to light. They fully outlined what Edwards' situation was to her and teams that inquired. And per the article and Kentucky, it sounds like they could have been considered fraudulent for signing a document that wasn't applicable to Edwards' situation. If recruits and parents take this as a negative thing, I'd be surprised by that.
This is how I saw it too. These are student athletes and the student part is just as important as the athletes part. She didn't finish her academic requirement that would have made her immediately eligible and she still would have been eligible to play at UK if she was still a student. She knew what she had to do and she didn't do it. I think Edwards placing the blame on Elzy was very immature.

Reaction Score

Yes there is an NCAA rule that only graduate transfers get immediate eligibility. Dree and Baylor knew that. They were hoping to get a waiver for her to play this season like some other undergraduate players have done. There are several women playing now at 3rd or 4th schools who did not sit out the first year of transfer. It seems that most coaches do sign the waivers if players want to transfer.

Kentucky coach chose not to sign so Dree will continue to sit out this year and play for Baylor next year.

Reaction Score
I don't understand what Kentucky is gaining either.

If she had graduated she would have been a "grad transfer" and I do not think a waiver would have been required. She notes in both her statement and it is noted in Kentucky's that she did not graduate. For the 2nd transfer, apparently you need "cause" and her claim was that she did not have an opportunity to play at Kentucky (but her real reason was she didn't want to). I'm not criticizing her, just stating the facts of how things got there.

As to other transfers, for example, for all the criticism of Adia Barnes turning over her roster from last year, she very clearly stated in the paper that she would do whatever she needed to insure a landing spot for the folks she didn't really want. If this came up with any of them (2 were making a 2nd transfer, not sure on grad status) I'm sure she signed.
Me neither. Better graduation rates?

Reaction Score
Yes there is an NCAA rule that only graduate transfers get immediate eligibility. Dree and Baylor knew that. They were hoping to get a waiver for her to play this season like some other undergraduate players have done. There are several women playing now at 3rd or 4th schools who did not sit out the first year of transfer. It seems that most coaches do sign the waivers if players want to transfer.

Kentucky coach chose not to sign so Dree will continue to sit out this year and play for Baylor next year.
I'm not buying that KY didn't sign because they felt it would be dishonest. They are looking quite petty to potential recruits. Imagine if coaches were subjected to even half these rules.

Reaction Score
This is how I saw it too. These are student athletes and the student part is just as important as the athletes part. She didn't finish her academic requirement that would have made her immediately eligible and she still would have been eligible to play at UK if she was still a student. She knew what she had to do and she didn't do it. I think Edwards placing the blame on Elzy was very immature.
I agree, but folks will always find a way to side with the kid regardless of the circumstances.

Reaction Score
I'm not buying that KY didn't sign because they felt it would be dishonest. They are looking quite petty to potential recruits. Imagine if coaches were subjected to even half these rules.
Disagree. According to Kentucky’s statement it would not and did not certify that Edwards would not have played had she remained at Kentucky. Elzy was being truthful. Kentucky fully disclosed the consequences to Edwards and potential landing spots.

If the NCAA requires such certification from the previous school for non-graduate transfers for immediate eligibility then Edwards and Baylor should direct its displeasure with the NCAA, not Elzy and Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Disagree. According to Kentucky’s statement it would not and did not certify that Edwards would not have played had she remained at Kentucky. Elzy was being truthful. Kentucky fully disclosed the consequences to Edwards and potential landing spots.

If the NCAA requires such certification from the previous school for non-graduate transfers for immediate eligibility then Edwards and Baylor should direct its displeasure with the NCAA, not Elzy and Kentucky.
You think that the issue of being...mildly or indirectly dishonest has ever stopped a coach? If you think about it...why would the matter of "if she would play" is even essential here? You could pick the walk-on..on ANY TEAM and eventually...technically...they WILL PLAY. Now that I think about it...if I were in Elzy's position I would be annoyed because she looks like the bad guy because of some silly process. I would have signed off and if anyone asked why here's my explanation. She WOULD NOT have played for KY because she made it clear that she wouldn't play.

Reaction Score

Imagine being a counted upon member of a team, deciding to quit that team for greener pastures, and then having the stones to ask that team to lie for you.

The particular lie that you wouldn't have played for them which is both obviously untrue and a particularly bitter pill when she was a starter... just unreal.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty intrigued. Do folks think the horse did something bad to the pregnant lady and is headed for jail, or that the horse is especially perceptive and was tipping off the authorities.

I picture a Columbo-y horse myself.

Reaction Score
You think that the issue of being...mildly or indirectly dishonest has ever stopped a coach? If you think about it...why would the matter of "if she would play" is even essential here? You could pick the walk-on..on ANY TEAM and eventually...technically...they WILL PLAY. Now that I think about it...if I were in Elzy's position I would be annoyed because she looks like the bad guy because of some silly process. I would have signed off and if anyone asked why here's my explanation. She WOULD NOT have played for KY because she made it clear that she wouldn't play.
Some would answer honestly and others not. Kyra Elzy chose to answer honestly. You wouldn’t have or, as you described, followed a line a reasoning to allow you to answer No she wouldn’t have played.

You did hit the nail on the head questioning why whether she would play or not is essential. I agree with the question. But that question should get directed towards the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Why should Kentucky risk their integrity to help out Baylor? I would be more sympathetic if Baylor and Edwards were not aware of the situation before the transfer. The beef should be with the NCAA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom