Nolan | The Boneyard

Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One big annoyance with Nolan's game last year and unfortunately he retains this year, is his "take a charge first" instinct. Unlike Brimah, who has a 'wait for guy to take off first and then go for block" instinct.

I wouldn't mind so much if he actually drew charges regulalry, but based on observation, 60% of the time the other guy sees it in time to change directions and go for a layup, 30% he gets called for a block, and 10% he get the charge. Those are not good odds to me.

Reaction Score
the first charge they gave him was one of the worst missed block/charges I've ever seen. phil wasn't even close to having position and actually causes most of the contact.

Reaction Score
the first charge they gave him was one of the worst missed block/charges I've ever seen. phil wasn't even close to having position and actually causes most of the contact.
Refs made up for it in the 2nd half. Agree on the 1st half "charge" being an awful call but the most 2nd half "block" was about as textbook as a charge can get.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The more he takes charges and the less he blocks shots, the more NBA scouts turn their heads.

Reaction Score
NBA has never thought of Phil nor never will. Wish it was not the case but no way.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Are the scouts even looking in the first place? Ollie frequently compliments Phil for "getting dirty" which is a term the team uses to coach up hustle plays like deflections and taking charges. He's being coached to play that way and I would argue appropriately so. Phil's not going to be advantaged with athleticism especially against top class 5's. His job is to play fundamentally sound defense and body up. He did this well in the tourney last year, one of the many guys on the team who played their role to perfection allowing us to succeed.

Reaction Score
One big annoyance with Nolan's game last year and unfortunately he retains this year, is his "take a charge first" instinct. Unlike Brimah, who has a 'wait for guy to take off first and then go for block" instinct.

I wouldn't mind so much if he actually drew charges regulalry, but based on observation, 60% of the time the other guy sees it in time to change directions and go for a layup, 30% he gets called for a block, and 10% he get the charge. Those are not good odds to me.
I would not agree at all that he's only drawing a charge 10% of the time. He's pretty much a machine at drawing charges. It was probably his best skill last year.

Reaction Score
It looks like PN is trying to do too much because he sees the writing on the wall in terms of fewer minutes this year. So far anyway, it looks like we will play more of a traditional lineup with a true center (Brimah), PF (Facey) and wing in Dham. That's some serious length right there. I like Phil but he's more of a scrappy hustle type player, not good enough to be starting center at a powerhouse program like UConn. Of course things could change completely when Omar and Rodney come back, and maybe we go a little smaller.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Are the scouts even looking in the first place? Ollie frequently compliments Phil for "getting dirty" which is a term the team uses to coach up hustle plays like deflections and taking charges. He's being coached to play that way and I would argue appropriately so. Phil's not going to be advantaged with athleticism especially against top class 5's. His job is to play fundamentally sound defense and body up. He did this well in the tourney last year, one of the many guys on the team who played their role to perfection allowing us to succeed.
Agree with this assessment. Biggest fault this season is his regression. He's not playing fundamentally sound defense. But it's early. Couple this defensive regression with expectations that he would improve significantly on offense because he bulked up and people are dissing his taking charges. Also there is some blow back from the negative attitude people have with Duke flops.

Reaction Score
I don't mind that he tries to draw charges. I just wish he would do so with his hands straight up than down by his waist.

With his hands down, he offers no resistance to the offensive player trying to score, and in the event a block is called instead of a charge, it's an easy and-1. Moreover, with his hands down, I think refs are more reluctant to actually call the charge, since it looks like he's preparing to flop rather than playing straight-up defense and happening to get bowled over.

Reaction Score
Here's the open secret: Phil Nolan in not playing in the NBA. (Others on this team will)

If he is drawing charges & setting screens & playing positional defense, he's very valuable to OUR team. He does the "dirty". He will get time. Brimah, though, is on an arc - this Soph year - to play far more minutes. That's the biggest reason you'll see less PN.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Agree with this assessment. Biggest fault this season is his regression. He's not playing fundamentally sound defense. But it's early. Couple this defensive regression with expectations that he would improve significantly on offense because he bulked up and people are dissing his taking charges. Also there is some blow back from the negative attitude people have with Duke flops.

This season?

The one game season

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This season?

The one game season
exhi 1, exhi 2 regs 1. deeza mensa claims season starts and balls rollin off of nollin hands so body blocks is good.

uconn football suks balls. putz nolan on o line to blox for de runners cauz nolan blox de runners charging to get scorz.

Reaction Score
Nolan is very important to this team. He can't go 7 minutes with only fouls. Hes a guy who should be avg 6 points and 5 rebouhds evefy game without exception. We will not be able to compete against top tier teams without material help from pn.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
exhi 1, exhi 2 regs 1. deeza mensa claims season starts and balls rollin off of nollin hands so body blocks is good.

uconn football suks balls. putz nolan on o line to blox for de runners cauz nolan blox de runners charging to get scorz.
Wow - I always knew Chap was a regular who was messing with us. Never thought it would be you.

Nice job.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
He's awful at taking charges...10% seems accurate.

He lead the team in charges last year. Ollie has repeatedly praised him for it. How are you seeing it?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Wow - I always knew Chap was a regular who was messing with us. Never thought it would be you.

Nice job.

de 1st raked and braked dis brain. de second waz smood and ezy as d kemba step back brakes d anklets of mcg(he he he)

fare me makes and bakes rugula for d bowels only; fared april never scripz normle postz againz and againz.

eye seeks a chap(lain) for de chap (not elite athlete) sticks hexorcism.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The thing is, as badly as PN has played this year, we've seen him play much, much better before. He was never dominant, but he was good for a few buckets and boards most games. He's better than what we're seeing right now, I don't know what's going on with him.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The thing is, as badly as PN has played this year, we've seen him play much, much better before. He was never dominant, but he was good for a few buckets and boards most games. He's better than what we're seeing right now, I don't know what's going on with him.
Since it's only three games not time to be greatly concerned. He may be too amped because he thought he fixed a physical limitation by bulking up. It may be as simple as settling down. Same with Brimah and Purvis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom