No way to sugarcoat this | The Boneyard

No way to sugarcoat this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We need to move in a positive direction at all times. We don't have the "reserve" to survive in the desert without water for very long. We ain't a legacy program.

Fans departed early yesterday. Half full in the third quarter. 1/4 full by middle of the fourth quarter. This is not just about winning games. We are fighting for that, but also for the entertainment dollar. If our "product" does not sell, we go out of business. Out of business. Like Western Michigan. What did they have there, 5000 fans? They are essentially out of business, yet they can beat us handily. Western Michigan is totally out of business. Going nowhere. They beat us. I would take Western Michigan's coach in a heartbeat.

The game has to be entertaining. Otherwise people won't watch. Some folks here say, ''a win is a win," but they're wrong. I suppose if you could win ever game with great defense by a score of 10-7, you'd make a name for yourself. But we don't have that capacity and it's just nonsense.

It's getting to the point where I can watch WVU more than I can watch Uconn. I can watch a lot of teams, Maryland for example, Clemson, Cincinnati (great game), more than I can watch my own team. I watch Uconn - I'm a season ticket holder. Never missed a game. But now I'm like praying that what I'm seeing will miraculously disappear - and some excitement takes its place, but honestly, it is getting harder and harder. This has to stop. When the core fanbase is rumbling we have a massive problem brewing. People just walking out. We don't have a Jim Brown or Doug Flutie to fall back on. We have to maintain the arc to survive. Or we're going out of business.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Fans departed early yesterday. Half full in the third quarter.

You're certainly entitled to your position, but if half the fans left in the third quarter, they left a game that we were winning 24-7. That's on the fans...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A lot of the issues are on the fans but this goes back to the OP's point. Our fanbase, while impressive considering our youth as a program, does not give the appearance of one that will last if we need to spend a number of years floundering in what most pundits will call a mid-major conference. I unfortunately know of a number of season ticket holders who still see this as a bit of a novelty and won't be too upset if the program falls to what can be viewed as a mid level MAC program with mid level MAC attendance.

We even have a number of posters on our basketball forum within this board who would not be upset if the football program threw in the towel. We unfortunately are many years away from having the culture within our fanbase (as an entirety) to support the program well enough to pull off what TCU did and what many other schools are attempting.

With what we want to accomplish we are fighting national perception issues, a poor recruiting region, conference instability and a severe lack of tradition on many levels.

I vividly remember being at a few hoops games in the (post Corny) Perno years thinking (foolishly at that time) how silly it was that so many older fans acted as if we were a big time hoops program. The reality is that our basketball fan base was sufficient enough to both endure a stretch like 1983-1986 and still remain vibrant and also provide support almost immediately to what JC ended up building. When people point out what we did in hoops (in claiming it can also be done in football) this needs to be considered as part of the equation. I hope our fan base can do their part. I believe that it is more important for the administration/coaching staff to do their part (if we are to become a true national program) but I do fear that a poor stretch could turn us into a program where 25k seems like a good attendance number.

Reaction Score
You're certainly entitled to your position, but if half the fans left in the third quarter, they left a game that we were winning 24-7. That's on the fans...
Not really responsive. Nothing is "on the fans." That's like saying, if you don't get elected, that it's "on the voters." Yeah, it's on the voters. And they don't like you. That's why they didn't vote for you. And now you're out. Fans are voters. When they walk out, it means, they don't like you.

Reaction Score
Not really responsive. Nothing is "on the fans." That's like saying, if you don't get elected, that it's "on the voters." Yeah, it's on the voters. And they don't like you. That's why they didn't vote for you. And now you're out. Fans are voters. When they walk out, it means, they don't like you.

I don't agree in our case. Fans have been walking out of the rent in the 3rd quarter since the Indiana game. It's the nature of this fan base. It's not just against poor opponents, they do it every single game.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

If "they don't like you", then that means they aren't fans. Period. IF a fan walks out when their favorite team is up by 17 points, then what the hell are they looking for???

The truth of it actually is that many fans do this in CT regardless of the score or the opponent. First one to the parking lot misses the traffic, right? It's something that I have never understood about my fellow Nutmeggers, even back to the days of the Whalers. Winning, losing...doesn't matter. Just make sure you save yourself 17 minutes from traffic delays...

Reaction Score
I don't agree in our case. Fans have been walking out of the rent in the 3rd quarter since the Indiana game. It's the nature of this fan base. It's not just against poor opponents, they do it every single game.

THe USF/Florida State game - last night - the stadium was pretty much empty at kickoff. FWIW.

Fans - are fans - no matter where you go. We had low count yesterday for our standards through 9 years and counting 34,666 paid I think? I agree we need to start winning games regularly - but we are not an unhealthy football program.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
THe USF/Florida State game - last night - the stadium was pretty much empty at kickoff. FWIW.

Fans - are fans - no matter where you go. We had low count yesterday for our standards through 9 years and counting 34,666 paid I think? I agree we need to start winning games regularly - but we are not an unhealthy football program.

I don't think he was saying that we are an unhealthy football program, Carl. He was commenting (and so was I) on the tendencies of the CT fan, and how one should not read into that tendency as having any more meaning than it actually does. Leaving in the third quarter of a game where we are up by 3 scores is a tendency, not an indication that the fan is unhappy with a certain play call.

Reaction Score

Fans are not fans everywhere you go. I went to the Wisconsin-Oregon State game last year and fans stayed the whole game. Same with Ohio State-Marshall the year before (and it was a Thursday night game). I am going ton the LSU-Alabama game this year, and I am assuming the stadium stays pretty packed. Some fan bases are better than others. Unfortunately, UCONN fans love to come late and leave early. Obviously I am not talking about people on this board.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yesterday was the type of game other programs sell to their season ticket holders as filler knowing the demand will be unaffected as they accept it as the price of season tickets. Many sell or give away these tickets to other fans who despite the opponent are excited to be at the event because the supply does not allow them to do so. That is not us right now.

Much like Jim Calhoun's early recruiting pitches, "Come to UConn and you can play against Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova, Seton Hall, and Syracuse." Some came and eventually proved themselves on the court until the recruiting pitch changed, "Come to UConn and you can play with Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, and Donyell Marshall and complete for championships." This is no different.

The moral of the story is to stop building your home schedule around teams that no one wants to see, like Buffalo.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I have been reading the threads in the past 24 hours and while I understand the concern, I believe we are a little premature in calling for a coaching change. After all, we haven't played a BE game yet.

But...Coach P needs to understand that this is a fragile time for the UConn fanbase. We need a reason to believe...a reason to care. He is lucky that Brown's D is exciting enough to make part of the game interesting (even though the last couple games have had moments of poor tackling and execution). This team would be totally unwatchable if we had Edsall's bend don't break along with Deleone's 1 yrd first down runs.

I hope the offense is more inspired this week. Let's try a first down pass. Let's see Hippolite mixed in. How about a fake punt or FG. Something...anything that shows UConn isn't playing not to lose.

If UConn isn't competitive this week....or if the play calling continues to not match up well with the personnel resulting in multiple 3 and outs, then I think it is ok to discuss what our future coaching staff should be. Rutgers is a good team...with a good defense. This will be a tough game on the road for this UConn offense. I really don't think being conservative and hoping the defense will win the game will work against a team like Rutgers who has more talent. That tactic only works when you have more talent.

I am hopeful that this week we see an aggressive offense that complements the aggressive defense and puts UConn in a position to win.

Reaction Score
Fans departed early yesterday. Half full in the third quarter. 1/4 full by middle of the fourth quarter.

Sounds like this math.

Honestly our stadium will always look empty as long as we let 15% of the fans stand around the side. It's the dumbest thing. Everybody should be seated. I have been to many stadiums and I have never seen it. Make everybody sit!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Yesterday was the type of game other programs sell to their season ticket holders as filler knowing the demand will be unaffected as they accept it as the price of season tickets. Many sell or give away these tickets to other fans who despite the opponent are excited to be at the event because the supply does not allow them to do so. That is not us right now.

Much like Jim Calhoun's early recruiting pitches, "Come to UConn and you can play against Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova, Seton Hall, and Syracuse." Some came and eventually proved themselves on the court until the recruiting pitch changed, "Come to UConn and you can play with Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, and Donyell Marshall and complete for championships." This is no different.

The moral of the story is to stop building your home schedule around teams that no one wants to see, like Buffalo.

you're preaching to the choir on that with me, I"ve been talking about the importance of future scheduling for a long time. This year, we're on the last year of Jeff Hathaway's management of the scheduling of UConn football. The problem we've got is that we've got another 30 days or so of negotiating window time with Bristol, and then if we make to free agency, however long it takes after that to get a media deal signed, and until that deal is in place, there really can't be anything put down on paper yet.

Warde Manuel? His job isn't hinging on the performance of Paul Pasqualoni as HC, or George Deleone as OC - it's on his own ability to put UConn football firmly on the map - with scheduling into the future.

Recruiting, fan interest - all of it. If anyone is ridiculous to send an email to Manuel about the status of our football program - it's finding out about the future schedules that are important.

As for 2012, we're 3-2, and we've got another shot at playing up to the level of focus and intensity it takes, to start winning consecutive games, and not ride the emotional rollercoaster from wins to losses.

Reaction Score
Fans are not fans everywhere you go. I went to the Wisconsin-Oregon State game last year and fans stayed the whole game. Same with Ohio State-Marshall the year before (and it was a Thursday night game). I am going ton the LSU-Alabama game this year, and I am assuming the stadium stays pretty packed. Some fan bases are better than others. Unfortunately, UCONN fans love to come late and leave early. Obviously I am not talking about people on this board.

I bet there are quite a few people on this board that do so.

Reaction Score
If "they don't like you", then that means they aren't fans. Period. IF a fan walks out when their favorite team is up by 17 points, then what the hell are they looking for???

The truth of it actually is that many fans do this in CT regardless of the score or the opponent. First one to the parking lot misses the traffic, right? It's something that I have never understood about my fellow Nutmeggers, even back to the days of the Whalers. Winning, losing...doesn't matter. Just make sure you save yourself 17 minutes from traffic delays...
Been to many Patriots games where fans have departed early as well. On one occassion they missed great comebacks by the Pats to beat the Dolphins.
If the game is decided there's better things to do.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If the game is decided there's better things to do.

This was the sentence uttered by Clemson with 1 second left and Scottie Burrell inbounding the ball from the baseline... ;)

Reaction Score

Much like Jim Calhoun's early recruiting pitches, "Come to UConn and you can play against
Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova, Seton Hall, and Syracuse." Some came and eventually proved themselves on the court until the recruiting pitch changed, "Come to UConn and you can play with Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, and Donyell Marshall and complete for championships." This is no different.

The moral of the story is to stop building your home schedule around teams that no one
wants to see, like Buffalo.

Correct on so many points. JC proved it (a national program and brand name) could be done in our lifetimes. Too many posters here have UConn on the 85 year slow track.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't know if it is a connecticut thing, but my parents would leave the 4th of july fireworks in hartford before the finale. We left every whalers game early. It was always about beating the traffic.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't know if it is a connecticut thing, but my parents would leave the 4th of july fireworks in hartford before the finale. We left every whalers game early. It was always about beating the traffic.

It's absolutely a Connecticut thing, but I don't understand why it CONTINUES to be a Connecticut thing, outside of us being in the "land of steady habits." The problem really is the fact that it continues to be a CT thing AND we believe that we are ready for the big-time. Those two things don't agree with each other...

Reaction Score

I guess I'm glad in a way that people feel a need tro leave early because I never sit in traffic for more than 10 minutes getting out and most of that is moving traffic and dealing with people who still can't figure what lane they need to be in to make the left hand turn onto Silver Lane.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I guess I'm glad in a way that people feel a need tro leave early because I never sit in traffic for more than 10 minutes getting out and most of that is moving traffic and dealing with people who still can't figure what lane they need to be in to make the left hand turn onto Silver Lane.
especially when I cook up a few hot sandwiches in the parking lit after the game ends.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The best part of the aversion to traffic is that there is only a minimal amount of traffic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I left when Whitmer took a knee, walked to my car in Red lot and was on 91 without stopping for even a traffic light. Even when I park in Grey lot....never an issue.

Yeah I stood up with 12 seconds left and started walking. Got stuck in car behind some walkers but went from East Hartford to Wethersfield stopping for a half hour and back to East Hampton by 5.

Reaction Score
It's absolutely a Connecticut thing, but I don't understand why it CONTINUES to be a Connecticut thing, outside of us being in the "land of steady habits." The problem really is the fact that it continues to be a CT thing AND we believe that we are ready for the big-time. Those two things don't agree with each other...

Will it ever end? A spitting match with two couples sitting behind us in 221. These folks told us we were being impolite by standing for the opening kick off. Next it was 3rd down on defense. I would never want to scare off potential fans but we have many that are still clueless.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom