No team but ND moves the per team for the Big12 TV deal | The Boneyard

No team but ND moves the per team for the Big12 TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From a Big12 memo obtained through a FOIA request:

http://newsok.com/article/3688049

So guess they Big12 will be lucky to stay at maybe 20 mil a team, and even the 20 has never been confirmed. Forget getting 25 like they all huffed and puffed about with FSU and Clemson.

Reaction Score
... and ND isn't going anywhere!

More Big 12 hubbub, but Notre Dame not active in conference talks

By Brian Hamilton
Tribune reporter
8:49 AM CDT, June 28, 2012

Advertisement
The Big 12 has poked around to gauge how much value Notre Dame would bring to it as a member. That much is officially official, thanks to a memo unearthed by an Oklahoma newspaper on Thursday.

Also still officially official: Notre Dame isn't contemplating its conference affiliation regardless.

Irish athletic director Jack Swarbrick on Wednesday put a finer point on the stance he took a week ago, when the Big 12 rumors reignited: Notre Dame isn't engaged in any deliberations regarding a new home for its non-football endeavors.

"We are not in any active decision-making process," Swarbrick told the Tribune in a phone interview.

So that renders somewhat moot a report from The Oklahoman that confirms the Big 12 took the temperature of television executives regarding how much value Notre Dame would add as a member.
An open records request revealed a memo from interim commissioner Chuck Neinas to the league's expansion committee, in which Neinas said television partners asserted that the "only new member that would enhance the Big 12 value for television was Notre Dame."

As for how much a partial Notre Dame membership would affect the league? Neinas wrote this: "Both representatives of ESPN/ABC and Fox Sports indicated that Notre Dame's involvement with the Big 12 Conference would increase the value of the conference relative to future television and also improve the image of the conference nationwide."

Thus the Big 12's general interest in Notre Dame is in writing. That executives would agree the Irish add value and profile to any league indeed is no shock.
And, anyway, Notre Dame isn't considering the issue at the moment.

Now that the playoff structure has been established, and with Swarbrick saying Wednesday that some sort of decision on a media deal is imminent, Notre Dame can move on to evaluating their conference affiliation with the Big East. But Swarbrick described that as more matter-of-course examination than landscape-altering decision-making.
"I have tried to be consistent throughout saying, look, there are three things we have to know: what our media future is, what the postseason of college football future is, and what the future of the Big East is," Swarbrick said Wednesday. "Two of those three pieces, I think we're going to have great certainty on.

"We'll have some level of certainty on the third, so it creates an opportunity. We don't have calendared somewhere, 'Let's sit down and do this.' It creates an opportunity at that time to sit back and say, 'OK, what do we see coming?' There's no process in place nor do I anticipate triggering some formal one. But that will be the time to say, we've got this information, we've looked at it, we've been thoughtful about where we are and what we're doing. "

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So, by my count, the number of conference ships that have run a ground chasing the siren song of ND football stands a three. Only the B1G had the testicular fortitude to wheel hard right rudder and set sail in the other direction.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
From a Big12 memo obtained through a FOIA request:

http://newsok.com/article/3688049

So guess they Big12 will be lucky to stay at maybe 20 mil a team, and even the 20 has never been confirmed. Forget getting 25 like they all huffed and puffed about with FSU and Clemson.

Did the Big 12 sleep with your sister or something? You are relentlessly annoying

Reaction Score
in order for the B12 to go from 20m to 25m the 2 new teams would have to add $100m in value per year ($5m x 10+2 x 25m). if FSU and Clemson were worth that, the ACC wouldn't be getting $150/year in total. all of this expansion talk is nonsense.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
in order for the B12 to go from 20m to 25m the 2 new teams would have to add $100m in value per year ($5m x 10+2 x 25m). if FSU and Clemson were worth that, the ACC wouldn't be getting $150/year in total. all of this expansion talk is nonsense.

I agree with your math, but it begs a question to greedy institutions like Texas. Is the next step booting unworthy programs to up the per team?

Or do the big TV properties realign amongst themselves? That rivalry with {insert weak sister rival} is great and all, but.....

pj

Reaction Score
To go from $20 mn to $20.1 mn is much easier, FSU and Clemson would get over that hurdle. The B12 might feel more stable with more members; FSU and Clemson would increase their income. However, the sense of urgency may not be there.

The "only ND" memo was probably not considering FSU or Clemson, only BYU and Louisville along with ND. The networks were advising against adding BYU and Louisville without ND, but ND part-time with either or both would be supported.

Reaction Score
I agree with your math, but it begs a question to greedy institutions like Texas. Is the next step booting unworthy programs to up the per team?

Or do the big TV properties realign amongst themselves? That rivalry with {insert weak sister rival} is great and all, but.....

I think this is one of the great unraised questions about the whole trend line in college football. There are reasons to continue geographic conferences. Primarily, it is still easier on the student athletes than a nationwide thirty team conference and it allows all major programs to have winning records most every year, thus not interfering with donations. (My guess is the latter is of more concern to universities than the former.) But the CFB money would, no question, be much greater for the superpowers if they didn't have to share with the wakes and Miss States and Syracuses and, yes, UConns.

Is that day coming? One league of NFL size, nationwide? Beats me.

Reaction Score
"One league of NFL size, nationwide?"

Could be. But, I'll tell you what. At that point college football loses its differentiation and is NFL Light. It will begin a downward trend from there. No doubt in my mind.

Reaction Score
January was before FSU and Clemson were in the picture. At that time, the best school (beside Notre Dame) that would have been available would have been Louisville. Obviously, there are teams that would add value to the Big 12 (Ohio State, USC, Florida, Alabama, etc.), but the implication in the memo is that they're talking about what schools were reasonably available. There have been other reports more recent that January that have said that Louisville would not add value to the Big 12, so that is just consistent with what we all ready knew. At the time, there was a lot of speculation that the Big 12 would hurry up and grab two teams, whoever they might be, just to get back to 12 and not look weak. What this memo shows is that the Big 12 was smarter than that and decided to wait and see if there might be better options. They apparently knew what they were doing because in only 4 months they were able to shed the stigma of instability and cause panic in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Did the Big 12 sleep with your sister or something? You are relentlessly annoying

Actually they did and she said they were kinda on the small side and not that good.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nice to know your sister has that many data points for comparison.

Hey there are a lot of teams in the ACC, it's not her fault they didn't stop at 9 or 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Maybe the rest of the programs in the ACC are dragging FSU and Clemson down.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Reading this thread made me think of a very important quesion.....When looking at the original post, I noticed that observer is listed as a 'Popular Poster' under his username. What is the requirement for being labeled a 'popular poster' here? A pulse and a keyboard?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Evidently a sister who puts out............
"Hey Observer, we're having a party this weekend is your sister around? What? Uh, sure you can come too, I guess."

Reaction Score
Thanks Biz. Hey, if you can't come on these boards and be sophmoric where can you............

Plus, observer just makes it that much easier.

You going to start your roster review soon?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Reading this thread made me think of a very important quesion.....When looking at the original post, I noticed that observer is listed as a 'Popular Poster' under his username. What is the requirement for being labeled a 'popular poster' here? A pulse and a keyboard?

He has made the ranks of "Popular Poster" because he has spawned a poster named Anti-Observer. I'll know that I've earned my stripes when I see an Anti-UConnDan97. Until then, I'll keep typing away...

Reaction Score
"Hey Observer, we're having a party this weekend is your sister around? What? Uh, sure you can come too, I guess."

Sorry, my sister is out of town this weekend.

Too bad actually because she has a lot in common with you guys. She loves college sports and she also did her undergraduate work at a mid-major.

Reaction Score
Sorry, my sister is out of town this weekend.

Too bad actually because she has a lot in common with you guys. She loves college sports and she also did her undergraduate work at a mid-major.

You realize, I hope, that "mid-major" may be an insult for an athletic program, but that it is not an insult for a University. Harvard is a mid-major. So are Yale and Princeton. So are Colgate, and George Washington, and Tulane.

You need to be much better at your return insults.

B

bob f'n barker

5834f78dd1f2414fbf035f82b25ea4c8.jpg

Reaction Score
You realize, I hope, that "mid-major" may be an insult for an athletic program, but that it is not an insult for a University. Harvard is a mid-major. So are Yale and Princeton. So are Colgate, and George Washington, and Tulane.

You need to be much better at your return insults.
Even Colgate has more national championships in football than BC. They were awarded a national championship by Parke Davis in 1916. Their QB that year (Ockie Anderson; he played in the NFL in it's first three years in Buffalo) was considered one of the best of his time. Also were awarded the national championship again in 1932 by Parke Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom