No SNY, just ESPN3? | The Boneyard

No SNY, just ESPN3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
The UC-Davis game is not on SNY or ESPN or anywhere else on TV???????

It's only available on ESPN3? Which is not a TV service, but Internet-based, and to which not everyone has access?

Have I got it right?

Reaction Score
Yes. I can understand that as very few will watch this game. First, it's UC-Davis, and second it doesn't start until 10 o'clock on a Friday night. I'm surprised we're even getting this game on ESPN3.

Reaction Score
IMHO there is no reason for SNY to not televise this game. It is the very first game of the year and would have had more viewers than some other mid season blowout.

Reaction Score
I would imagine ESPN owns the rights and isn't particularly interested in helping SNY out.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Sending a production crew all the way to Cal would probably have been a big money loser for SNY.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All away games involve negotiating of TV rights with whoever the home team/conference has sold their rights to. No idea what the deal is with UC-Davis, but between the cross country trek, the broadcast time, and the fact that SNY is already dealing with ESPN for the rights to all Uconn home games I am not that surprised they got shut out or priced out of this game. It has happened before - usually once or twice during a season dating back as far as I can remember. The fact that it is the opening game of the season is a bummer, but then opening on the road is something that very rarely happens with Uconn.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
You can't see the game because Aresco threw women's basketball into the AAC TV deal (worth $2m per school for EVERYTHING), even though no other women's team in this conference has any value. In effect, UConn gave away the right to its women's games for no money and no ability to watch the games. That is on Warde, who signed off on this crappy crappy TV deal.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
IIRC, Cal Davis is in a conference that will not share the feed, but I may be wrong.....thought that was why SNY could not pick it up.

Reaction Score
Frontier has taken over our AT&T Uverse, and I just found out that ESPN3 is no longer available to us :mad: Is there any alternative way to view this game online? Unfortunately, I think I already know the answer...

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Frontier has taken over our AT&T Uverse, and I just found out that ESPN3 is no longer available to us :mad: Is there any alternative way to view this game online? Unfortunately, I think I already know the answer...
I'm in the same boat as you, Yukon. I just spent a couple of hours trying to get help/info from Frontier Customer Service. Finally got someone who said ESPN3 will be available to former CT Uverse customers "in a few days." Once that is in place we may need to reset our ESPN password/profile/whatever. I'm not positive she knew what she was talking about.

They say they are a national company, but they act like a mom & pop operation. Terrible distortion in all my communications with them.

If you want to call them, Frontier's tech support is 1-800-219-6877.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I got the "we are working on it" from Frontier as well. Given all their issues, I'm not holding my breath. Frontier shows up on the list of affiliated systems, but it is not active, so the "continue" button doesn't work (yet?) Called ESPN too, but they said they couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything from their end.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
IIRC, Cal Davis is in a conference that will not share the feed, but I may be wrong.....thought that was why SNY could not pick it up.
That is not correct. UC Davis, part of the Big West Conference, only started having a handful games on ESPN3 last season. I believe you might be thinking of the Pac12 network, which wouldnt share its feed in the past.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Davis averages 700 or so fans a game. The Big West Conference, about that as well. So, I'm willing to wager that - whatever the issue - it is unlikely to be unwillingness to be seen across the nation or protecting a valuable commodity.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As a former Uverse and new Frontier customer, I was concerned that I might have lost access to ESPN3. However, it doesn't appear that I have. I think the reason is that I had only Internet and phone service via Uverse, but my TV service was and still is through Comcast. Apparently access to ESPN3 and WatchESPN is controlled by your TV provider, not your Internet provider (or so I'm guessing), so if you are in the same situation as me, you may still be able to access ESPN3.

Reaction Score
You can get ESPN3 through either your TV or internet provider. Unfortunately my cabble TV company (Metrocast) isn't a participant either!

Reaction Score
Yeah, I got the "we are working on it" from Frontier as well. Given all their issues, I'm not holding my breath. Frontier shows up on the list of affiliated systems, but it is not active, so the "continue" button doesn't work (yet?) Called ESPN too, but they said they couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything from their end.
I, too, had a long time getting through to Frontier's IT support. Was told to go to frontier.com/tveverywhere. Thereupon I found a drop down menu of the 20 or so online streaming TV providers they are in sync with. ESPN is not one of them.

I said "so much for the seamless transition from UVerse to Frontier", and she said "Is there anything else I can help you with?" LOL!!!

Reaction Score
Davis averages 700 or so fans a game. The Big West Conference, about that as well. So, I'm willing to wager that - whatever the issue - it is unlikely to be unwillingness to be seen across the nation or protecting a valuable commodity.
The Game on Friday will draw around 8,000 and will be a complete sell out. More than will show for Uconn road games in ACC

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
As a former Uverse and new Frontier customer, I was concerned that I might have lost access to ESPN3. However, it doesn't appear that I have. I think the reason is that I had only Internet and phone service via Uverse, but my TV service was and still is through Comcast. Apparently access to ESPN3 and WatchESPN is controlled by your TV provider, not your Internet provider (or so I'm guessing), so if you are in the same situation as me, you may still be able to access ESPN3.

I have Directv for TV and Comcast for Internet and phone. As I recall, when I signed on to Watch ESPN (to get ESPN 3), I was able to do so via my Comcast non-TV account.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
So here's the deal according to Jim Fuller: LINK

Eskin pointed out that ESPN3 is available in 92 million homes and Comcast, Cox, Charter, Cablevision and AT&T U-verse are among the providers which carry ESPN3.

I wonder how many UConn homes are NOT getting the game. Imagine if they all emailed UConn AD...

Reaction Score
Aaahhh well. At least I'll get to sleep at a decent time that night, instead of staying up til 12 for a game I'm pretty sure I know the outcome of. I will be looking forward to game threads, possibly pictures? (from our friends out west)...and the usual, always enlightening recaps.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Eskin pointed out that ESPN3 is available in 92 million homes and Comcast, Cox, Charter, Cablevision and AT&T U-verse are among the providers which carry ESPN3.

I wonder how many UConn homes are NOT getting the game. Imagine if they all emailed UConn AD...
And Time Warner cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger