No more ESPN3 for Cox, Comcast, or Uverse subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
FML.

quote:​
The Worldwide Leader has elected to end the simulcast of sporting events shown on ESPN's cable nets to ESPN3—a service available to 73 million cable subscribers—and instead restrict those online feeds to viewers whose cable provider subscribes to the WatchESPN service (which reaches about half as many viewers).​
WatchESPN is the service that allows subscribers to watch ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU programming on their computer or mobile device; ESPN is now limiting ESPN3 to "exclusive programming," such as Sri Lankan Premier League cricket which is currently airing on ESPN3.​

quote:​
This is likely to produce a lot of upset college football fans this Saturday, who have grown accustomed to being able to watch live sports simulcast to their computers, Xbox360, or mobile devices; if these subscribers don't have a cable provider offering WatchESPN, they'll have to use an actual TV to watch any games on those three broadcast cable nets.​

More here.

ESPN3 reached 73 million people, cable providers that offer WatchESPN reach about 40 million. So if your cable provider isn't one of the few that actually shells out for WatchESPN, you won't be able to watch ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ABC games live on your computer, PS3, or X-Box anymore.

I know for me, this means ESPN3 is no longer an option since I am a UVerse subscriber. I downloaded the "WatchESPN" app on my Android, but there were only like 5 available carrier networks. I mean, who even has Verizon FIOS for cable?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not entirely true.

I'm a Cox customer and this is what I learned today.

You can no longer view ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or ABC shows on the internet. The only thing I can now watch on the WatchESPN is ESPN3 exclusive programming.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just verified that I could watch programming that shows as ESPN3 (some garbage soccer match Copa v. Whocaresica) but couldn't watch the College Football kickoff which showed as an ESPNU broadcast.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I get watchESPN so it's all good.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Not entirely true.

I'm a Cox customer and this is what I learned today.

You can no longer view ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or ABC shows on the internet. The only thing I can now watch on the WatchESPN is ESPN3 exclusive programming.

So, the only games you would not be able to see are games that are being broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU? That is not so terrible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All I care about is the WMU game. Where can we watch that?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, the only games you would not be able to see are games that are being broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU? That is not so terrible.

That's what it seems like. Check it out for yourself to make sure. Otherwise you'll have to go trolling down Atlantic Beach to find a bar with SNY.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All I care about is the WMU game. Where can we watch that?

Smart ass answer is at WMU's stadium.

Right now, Uconn's website has ESPN3 as the "TV" coverage, so if you get ESPN3 now you should get it on gameday.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Smart ass answer is at WMU's stadium.

Right now, Uconn's website has ESPN3 as the "TV" coverage, so if you get ESPN3 now you should get it on gameday.

I hope so. I got that wireless doohickey that sends your desktop to your TV screen just for that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom