No longer boring, women's college basketball | The Boneyard

No longer boring, women's college basketball

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No longer boring, women's college basketball enters scoring era

Is high scoring actually less boring? I guess I am spoiled by UCONN. I love teamwork. I love watching a team score without the ball ever touching the floor. UCONN usually is the in the top three for points per game. So teamwork generates offense. Certainly one player dribbling all around like chicken without a head while the other four players stand around watching drives me nuts. I think women's basketball will be more interesting when 85% or more layups are made. Even the Bigs blow so many layups. I really liked Tina Charles but she gave me heart burn when she would miss a layup, the put back, and the next put back. Some player is always hyped as a game changer. Bovine scatology! If 50 of them are game changers at the same time then the game will have changed, but not just one individual. Oh well, I still live in the fifties and sixties watching a Boston Celtics TEAM and Magic and Bird's NBA TEAMS. Alright I do follow the Spurs TEAM. OK! Back to my cave!

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I put that article up a few days ago and it got zero traction. But, as for your editorial: I wholeheartedly agree. And not to be a chauvanist, men's college ball is unwatchable unless you are a total fan remembering when they knew how to play.

Reaction Score
God., I hate that story. In the first place, the premise was that until recently WCBB was unwatchable. Well, no. The second is that women's basketball is still played below the rim, as if the answer is: "Don't worry, it'll catch up with the men's game sooner or later." And, of course, the whole point of the women's game in that it's supposed to be played below the rim. That, in fact, is what makes it such a cool game to watch. And the third piec of awfulness is they quote Kelsey Plum as demanding that people not compare the women to men, and then they compare players to Stephon Curry. What the hell?

Reaction Score
The article sort of wanders in circles. But there are nuggets that are hard to disagree with:
  • No one tracks advanced analytics in the women’s game like they do the men’s. But if someone crunched the numbers, they’d surely find that the Connecticut’s women’s team is one of the most efficient teams in college basketball.
  • “If you’re only into flashy play and dunks and things that highlight athleticism, than sure, you probably won’t like the women’s game,” McGuff says. “But if you’re a pure basketball fan, I don’t see how you can say you don’t like it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom