no left coast? | The Boneyard

no left coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
rumors late night about BE tv deal not getting enough. bsu/sdsu backing out.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
rumors late night about BE tv deal not getting enough. bsu/sdsu backing out.

What??? Link? Holy hell. What on earth is going on??

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well the rumor is certainly all over the AztecMesa, the SDSU fan site. Supposedly they heard the rumor on a radio station. This is all starting to remind me of Ferris Beuller:

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious..."

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Time for the B12 to go for Plan B and add Boise and Louisville. The BE then replaces SDSU with Eastern Carolina.
Basketball is doing just fine. Replacing TCU, SU, Pitt and WVU with Houston/SMU, Memphis, Temple and UCF is not a huge step down in demographics.

Football is on tilt. SDSU and SMU reek of desperation. Pity Fawk consolation prizes. If Boise bails then its ECU and ditch SDSU.

This will keep football fans hopping for years. If the BE added TCU, Memphis, UCF, and Temple 18 monts ago and went to 20 basketball would they be any worse off?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Interesting article. Had the BE accepted the previous TV deal offer, Pitt and Syracuse may have stayed.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ycn-10310537

Article is a FAIL. Pitt and Syracuse led the charge in rejecting the previous TV offer. It also wasn't worth $15 million per all sports school, it was worth maybe $11, at the most. If the offer was $111 a year, and 8*$15 is $120 a year, the writer's math is wrong.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Something else worth noting. I had expected that the reason the ACC did the raid was that ESPN would boost them closer to $18MM/school as many of the early reports said. Now it appears that the number is closer to $14MM to $15MM/school. This is a big problem for UConn. With a contract that weak, the ACC is always going to be an expansion target themselves, and will probably never be in a position to add another school.

Not only does the Big East suck, but the only possible lifeline for UConn also sucks, just not as bad, and will never be in a position to add UConn anyway.

Reaction Score
Slow down on this topic. The rumor is from one guy who did a radio interview in SD, and it is pure speculation. Not from a source, not based in fact, just what "could happen". The SDSU board seems to be split in those who want to join the BE, and a lesser few who are concerned about their BB schools going to a weaker conference. The posters fanning the flames of dissent seem to be BB guys.

Essentially the guy said that Boise and SDSU could still potentially back out if the TV money looks like it will be great in the new "Alliance" merger. It's all based on speculation and "personal preference" of some guy not connected to either schools offices. Also says Boise not entering in 2012 could be a sign (apparently he fails to mention that Boise was planning on joining in 2013 originally, so nothing has really changed).

Reality is, they still could bail, but that doesn't mean they will.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
There are starting to be rumors out there that Boise St and SDSU are getting cold feet on joining the Big East and may want to stay in the merged MWC/CUSA instead.

I have a feeling that they are being told by the MWC/CUSA leadership that the money won't be that much different from their contract (which no one can know at this point given the BE hasn't begun negotiations with NBC/ESPN/Fox/etc), re-evaluating the need to be in such a geographically expansive conference if the BCS bids are going away anyway, and nervousness about the rest of their athletic programs being relegated to the WAC/Big West conference.

Again, just faint rumblings and rumors...no major news sources reporting yet. But if true, this is not good news at all. John Marrinato may need an extra dose of TUMS after lunch now!

Reaction Score
This could also be an opportunity to bring these programs in for all sports and push for a more robust west wing (ie BYU, UNLV, , Nevada, Fresno St, Tulsa)... Not sure which ones, just the concept of an all-sport west division.
Outside of the crossover games in various sports, travel would be a marginal increase. But the benefit would be more regional rivalries in more sports.

The Big East needs to attract the best FB schools it can using it's greatest assets: Best Basketball conference, NYC/East coast media, Top 6 football (BCS for now), and $30-$40M of Syr/WVU/Pitt exit fees.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The Big East needs to attract the best FB schools it can using it's greatest assets: Best Basketball conference, NYC/East coast media, Top 6 football (BCS for now), and $30-$40M of Syr/WVU/Pitt exit fees.

Football:
Best Assets: Management that will do anything to position the BE Contract between the ACC and MWC-CUSA merger. Team attendance and stadiums meet NCAA requirements. Major Media Markets with a good selection of restaurants and hookers.

Downside: likely to bleed teams anytime one of the Big 5 reopens contracts.

Reaction Score
IMO the Big East needs to expand their west coast presence or risk watching CUSA / MWC eat their lunch. Paying for Boise to enter in 2012 was a big opportunity to show their commitment to the west coast teams, passing on that opportunity to instead add Temple for the sole purpose of pocketing the 20 million in WVU money could prove to be a huge strategic blunder.

ESPN will probably start putting out rumors as to what they will offer CUSA / MWC in an attempt to get Boise and SDSU to walk away from the Big East.

Unlike most on the board I think having west coast visability is crucial to Big East football. It may be the only thing that keeps Big East football somewhat relevant to the television networks

Reaction Score
The words huge strategic blunder and the Big East seem destined to forever be linked. I agree with you BTW. Sitting on the 20 mill, and not using some of that money is yet another reason why having a hybrid league is cumbersome. I could easily imagine a scenario where the FB schools wanted to help Boise with the exit fee but the BB schools balked. God I hope i'm wrong on that.

Reaction Score
Lately everytime I come on here for my UConn news update I find a headline that is depressing. ( I know just stay away). This is today's. As stated above it is only a rumor but even if the probability is relatively low, I am pissed that UConn could be in a conference that two third tier schools like BSU & SDSU would pass on in order to stay in the new "confederation". How could the BE be so weak that they would find the CUSA/MWC as more appealing? Don't get me wrong I don't love the idea of being associated with the community colleges in the first place, but if we must we must. I would just hate it if we ended up in a place that they reject. It hasn't happened and I sure as heck hope it doesn't. Always thought that the "beg harder" line was funny but it is starting to feel less so.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
The media game being played right now is that every time the Big East makes a major move, a story indicating 'instability' must follow.

Memphis is added? Next day the Bevo XII hints that they want to add UofL someday. Temple talk? Next day, UConn-and-ND-to-the-ACC talk springs up again, followed by this story.

You can just about set your watch to these 'stories'. I don't take them seriously anymore...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The media game being played right now is that every time the Big East makes a major move, a story indicating 'instability' must follow.

Memphis is added? Next day the Bevo XII hints that they want to add UofL someday. Temple talk? Next day, UConn-and-ND-to-the-ACC talk springs up again, followed by this story.

You can just about set your watch to these 'stories'. I don't take them seriously anymore...

Absolutely 100% right! I'm noticing this trend too. There are some conspiracy theorists that blame ESPN and BCU. I'm starting to blame the other five BCS conferences, along with ESPN, CBS, and FOX. Maybe I'm just starting to crack up, but it seems like they smell blood in the water and that they can split the existing pie with less people if the "weakest link" falls.....and then of course, the ACC will be next....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom