No Full Contact High School Football in CT this year... | The Boneyard

No Full Contact High School Football in CT this year...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My gut says Edsall knew he wouldnt find support in the state health administration for his program either. By support I mean having the state health officials create some sort of "football can be played under X protocols," exception.

So the reasons we aren't playing in no order:
i) liability
ii) lack of state support from a protocols / best practices standpoint from health officials (need this to bolster a liability defense)
iii) schedule - very limited ability to create a schedule that isn't pathetic...just look at BYU. ...and isn't loaded with expensive travel that offers zero revenue (these rescheduled games aren't coming with $$).
iv) the financial burden of added medical costs/testing adding....surely if we were playing our testing would have to be more rigorous
v) failure on the field - the distinct possibility that if key guys sit due to COVid we could actually look unimproved in 2020. <--not been discussed around here, but think about it for a moment, a very real risk.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My gut says Edsall knew he wouldnt find support in the state health administration for his program either. By support I mean having the state health officials create some sort of "football can be played under X protocols," exception.

i) liability
ii) lack of state support from a protocols / best practices standpoint from health officials (need this to bolster a liability defense)
iii) schedule - very limited ability to create a schedule that isn't pathetic...just look at BYU. ...and isn't loaded with expensive travel that offers zero revenue (these rescheduled games aren't coming with $$).
iv) the financial burden of added medical costs/testing adding....surely if we were playing our testing would have to be more rigorous
v) failure on the field - the distinct possibility that if key guys sit due to COVid we could actually look unimproved in 2020. <--not been discussed around here, but think about it for a moment, a very real risk.
Your list is nonsense since it doesn't include the health and safety of all those involved with football as one of the Top 5 concerns.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Isn’t that a given? It is to me
That's was my point, it isn't a given for too many people. Leaving it off your list was weak.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That's was my point, it isn't a given for too many people. Leaving it off your list was weak.
I dont talk about tomorrow by starting with "if the sun rises" because its a given.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Then keep it clear of baseless conspiracy theories.
Everything on my list was absolutely sound.

Read between the lines on Edsall when quoted in the Virginia papers. The guy had no interest trying to run a program slated to play actual games in this environment and can you blame him? This program can't afford another 1 or 2 win season. Let the SunBelt and CUSA schools (or any of the schools really) roll the dice and try not to look stupid when they have 10 WO on their 2 deep and they lose games by 40 routinely this fall. Let the other schools play third string QBs and centers and look pitiful in the process. If we had moved forward we had a real chance of looking as bad as 2018 and 2019 if we suffered just a few personnel losses along the way which are sure to happen.

None of the above means that Edsall doesn't truly prioritize student athlete health first. Not at all. I merely rounding out the full picture.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I dont talk about tomorrow by starting with "if the sun rises" because its a given.
No attacks here, for our football season there are no sun rises only rainy days. :(

Either we are exceptionally brilliant in ferreting out risks other medical advisors around the country are too stupid to recognize or we are out of step with reality. Time will tell.
Agree, time will tell and reveal many answers. Are other medical advisors too dumb to recognize risks or are they financially motivated? There is a lot of gambling going on with young lives as the stakes and we are seeing those that want to hold and those that don't like the odds fold.
I have no problem with a season lost if it saves but one players life, I'm thinking it would be more.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

i) liability

#3 has the 51% vote. UConn, even if they wanted to play, had very little ability to put together a schedule.

Reaction Score
Watching games played with 3rd level subs due to covid makes it like watching the NFL with the replacement players in 1987. It would be a sham and pathetic attempt to get money. Period.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Hard to fathom wrestling or basketball surviving They're only 2+ months away from practice.

Reaction Score
Back to HS this seems like poor leadership here. The kids have been practicing for weeks. I've been watching baseball and softball games take place with teams in dugouts for over a month. Absent any practice issues/outbreaks this seems unfair to the athletes and coaches working hard to do the right thing. As a first responder I take this seriously, but in the context of kids allowed on school buses and in classrooms with poor ventilation it seems hard to justify canceling an outdoor sport that's been in motion for weeks. Maybe there's more to it but this seems inconsistent at best. Not sure if the alternative of teenage boys with more free time is actually making them safer.

Reaction Score
I like Chief a lot. I really do. But how can you think CT HS would ever play after Uconn punted. Not saying I agree with Uconn punting but once they did it was over.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like Chief a lot. I really do. But how can you think CT HS would ever play after Uconn punted. Not saying I agree with Uconn punting but once they did it was over.

And then you have states like PA where high school kids are playing, Temple is playing, Pitt is playing, but it's not safe for PSU to play.

Reaction Score
And then you have states like PA where high school kids are playing, Temple is playing, Pitt is playing, but it's not safe for PSU to play.

The inconsistency that you point out should not be a surprise. The public dialogue (hysteria) about this virus and policy decisions (CYA) have been non-rational from the start.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
More disappointment.... trying to press on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom