No free throws on 5th team foul | The Boneyard

No free throws on 5th team foul

Reaction Score
I’m confused and need some help. With 1 minute left in the 2nd of the St. John’s game, Dorka was fouled and it was the 5th team foul. Why didn’t she shoot free throws?

Reaction Score
I’m confused and need some help. With 1 minute left in the 2nd of the St. John’s game, Dorka was fouled and it was the 5th team foul. Why didn’t she shoot free throws?
I didn't go back and watch the replay, but the play by play on ESPN website says that at 1:24 Dorka made a 3-pointer. Then at 1:00, when St Johns had the ball, there was a foul and a turnover on Everett. So that must have been a player-control foul. No free throws on a player-control foul. Just the turnover.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't go back and watch the replay, but the play by play on ESPN website says that at 1:24 Dorka made a 3-pointer. Then at 1:00, when St Johns had the ball, there was a foul and a turnover on Everett. So that must have been a ball-control foul. No free throws on a ball-control foul. Just the turnover.
Dorka deflected the ball and was fouled going after it so I thought it was a loose-ball foul. Also, the legend on SNY showed 5 fouls on St. John’s.

Reaction Score
On a loose ball, the team that last had possession is deemed to be the team still in control of the ball and hence, a team/player control foul and no shot. Rule 4 section 12, article 4.
Thanks.

Reaction Score
No foul shots if it is an offensive foul. Same thing happened at the end of the Marquette game. Marquette had 5 team fouls and on their next posession fouled a UConn player and no free throws. At least that's what I found when I looked it up.

Reaction Score
No foul shots if it is an offensive foul. Same thing happened at the end of the Marquette game. Marquette had 5 team fouls and on their next posession fouled a UConn player and no free throws. At least that's what I found when I looked it up.
Correct with one minor distinction. When the ball is loose, like it was on that play, it is deemed to still be in possession of the last team that had it. Hence, an offensive foul on St. John's. A little different from a charge or a moving screen when the ball is still clearly and actually in possession by the offensive team.

Reactions: PvP

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom