No Enoch? | The Boneyard

No Enoch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Thought it was odd that Enoch did not see the floor tonight. Especially after Brimah/Miller/DHam had 2 fouls early in the first half. I know that Nolan was back healthy and he played decent. Also Facey played well in his minutes.

KO said after the game that 'he's healthy, it was a coach's decision'. I just think its a little odd that he didn't see the floor at all. Must be tough for him after playing decent in limited minutes in exhibitions/game 1.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised too. I figured he'd at least get in during the last 3 minutes when the game was sealed.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Easy - if Nolan didn't perform well right off the bat, those minutes would be going to Enoch. Fortunately, we are seeing flashes of Phil circa the end of his freshman year. I remember watching him hang 8 and 7 off the bench on Cincy and wondering what the future would hold for him.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
There will likely be some guys who aren't part of the core rotation by mid-season. I think Enoch has much more upside than Lubin and I hope he waits it out and becomes a key player for us in subsequent seasons.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
KO seems to preach DEFENSE FIRST. So as promising as Enoch may be on the offensive end, maybe he's seen some poor defense from him in practice that prevented him from seeing the floor. I agree it had to be some sort of a message.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Of all the guys one the team, Enoch knows the least what to do or where to be. From the limited amount that I've seen. No surprise.

No biggie. He's raw.

Reaction Score
KO seems to preach DEFENSE FIRST. So as promising as Enoch may be on the offensive end, maybe he's seen some poor defense from him in practice that prevented him from seeing the floor. I agree it had to be some sort of a message.

I think you're right on up until the last sentence. KO has been tough on young bigs - see Facey and Rock. I think you're correct that it's because of defense.

But to say it's a "message" connotes some sort of attitude issue. We've seen nothing whatsoever to indicate that's the case with Enoch, in fact quite the contrary.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think you're right on up until the last sentence. KO has been tough on young bigs - see Facey and Rock. I think you're correct that it's because of defense.

But to say it's a "message" connotes some sort of attitude issue. We've seen nothing whatsoever to indicate that's the case with Enoch, in fact quite the contrary.
Nah, "message" doesn't necessarily connote some sort of attitude issue imo. Could be as simple as "you play defense here, or you don't play."

UChusky916

Reaction Score

Disagree 100%. I never implied that and I don't think that's the case. KO can still send the kid a message without it relating to his attitude.

Reaction Score
I don't remember who but someone said I was an idiot for saying Nolan will play more than Enoch. Whoever you are, you must feel pretty dumb right now. Nolan played well tonight and I think he will consistently see 12-18 minutes per night. Enoch's time will come.

Reaction Score
Thought it was odd that Enoch did not see the floor tonight. Especially after Brimah/Miller/DHam had 2 fouls early in the first half. I know that Nolan was back healthy and he played decent. Also Facey played well in his minutes.

KO said after the game that 'he's healthy, it was a coach's decision'. I just think its a little odd that he didn't see the floor at all. Must be tough for him after playing decent in limited minutes in exhibitions/game 1.
Starters being in the game at the end, says KO was not happy with the effort. Don't read more into the Enoch not playing than there is.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Of all the guys one the team, Enoch knows the least what to do or where to be. From the limited amount that I've seen. No surprise.

No biggie. He's raw.

The other night, he got in in the 1st half, played 8 minutes and had 3 boards and a block. Tonight, Miller and Brimah played only 39 minutes between them due to the way the game was being called, so there were 9 more minutes available for the other bigs than there were against Maine, when that pair played 48 minutes. Plus, Miller was pretty ineffective tonight (actually other than his 2 assists, he did less in 21 minutes tonight than Enoch did in 8 on Friday). So unless Steven simply had the worst week of practice imaginable, there's a good chance there's more to the story.

Reaction Score
JimOllie said:
I don't remember who but someone said I was an idiot for saying Nolan will play more than Enoch. Whoever you are, you must feel pretty dumb right now. Nolan played well tonight and I think he will consistently see 12-18 minutes per night. Enoch's time will come.

You're an idiot for plenty of reasons but that wasn't one of them.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I care much more about how he looks in February. Just keep practicing hard and learning the nuances of CBB. He's looked a step behind so far, just has to keep grinding and adjust to this level of play.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Nah, "message" doesn't necessarily connote some sort of attitude issue imo. Could be as simple as "you play defense here, or you don't play."

Then how the hell has Facey played at all the last two years? I seriously doubt that's the message, because there's plenty of kids here that have played terrible defense over the last few years and still got a few minutes here and there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The other night, he got in in the 1st half, played 8 minutes and had 3 boards and a block. Tonight, Miller and Brimah played only 39 minutes between them due to the way the game was being called, so there were 9 more minutes available for the other bigs than there were against Maine, when that pair played 48 minutes. Plus, Miller was pretty ineffective tonight (actually other than his 2 assists, he did less in 21 minutes tonight than Enoch did in 8 on Friday). So unless Steven simply had the worst week of practice imaginable, there's a good chance there's more to the story.

It doesn't work that way though; that line of thinking is too linear. Just because you have a good week or practice or a good game prior, does not mean you automatically earn more PT. Guys need relatively consistent roles to build a comfort level (the antithesis of JC coaching, Ill grant you), so that they dont play with a target on their back.

The fact is, those other guys will be greater factors this year, and they need these initial games to get up to speed. You cant just throw them in against a Maryland and hope for them to succeed. Frankly, I think this is the reason more than anything. Having these guys play 40 minutes.

Additionally, stats dont tell the tale. Nolans contributions dont often show up on the stat sheet, but that doesnt mean he's not an integral piece to what UCONNs trying to do. Ollie has said as much in the past.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'

It doesn't work that way though; that line of thinking is too linear. Just because you have a good week or practice or a good game prior, does not mean you automatically earn more PT. Guys need relatively consistent roles to build a comfort level (the antithesis of JC coaching, Ill grant you), so that they dont play with a target on their back.

The fact is, those other guys will be greater factors this year, and they need these initial games to get up to speed. You cant just throw them in against a Maryland and hope for them to succeed.

Additionally, stats dont tell the tale. Nolans contributions dont often show up on the stst sheet, but that doesnt mean he's not an integral piece to what UCONNs trying to do. Ollie has said as much in the past.

His contributions showed up in the stat sheet yesterday, something I'd like to see continue.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
His contributions showed up in the stat sheet yesterday, something I'd like to see continue.

Yep, I was just responding to Rich's point that better stats warrants more burn with a hypothetical example.

Reaction Score
Nolan played in a title game, KO knows what he can do and has loyalty. I think Phil and Facey also know that to get on the floor they have to produce, but if he has 12-18 minutes with 1 point and 1 board you will see more of Enoch. Phil showed a nice short jumper yesterday and he finished around the rim. Enoch is our future and I hope he gets enough time so he doesn't transfer because the number one reason that happens is lack of use, playing time. I think he will get that time because AB still fouls like crazy and there are enough minutes to go around. The coaches have to drill that in to Enoch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom