No Bashing/ No rose-colored glasses | The Boneyard

No Bashing/ No rose-colored glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Is it possible to have a conversation that doesn't bash KO or the players AND doesn't deny reality? This is a deeply flawed team. Ball handling, jump shooting, rebounding, passing, frontcourt offense are all suspect. Not every game. But far too often and especially when we face a good defense.The inability to move the ball down the court or in-bound under pressure is , at times, is downright sad.

Now I see all that and I still support the team, the coach and hope it turns around. But I don't think it will this year. We are not likely to capture that kind of lightening in a bottle. And this team is more flawed than 2011 or 2014.

So what do we need? Patience with younger players like DHam & Brimah. We need this rebuilding year. We can't win a championship every year. Especially as we don't reload like KY and Duke.

Reaction Score
This is a deeply flawed team. Ball handling, jump shooting, rebounding, passing, frontcourt offense are all suspect. Not every game. But far too often and especially when we face a good defense.The inability to move the ball down the court or in-bound under pressure is , at times, is downright sad.
Yes. It's very frustrating because, individually, our first six guys are very, very talented.

The problem is that two of them (Brimah & Facey) are still new to the game. They haven't gotten as many reps against hungry opponents as almost every single one of their peers. Neither goes full-on "deer in headlights," but both have long stretches where it looks like they're kind of surprised at how intense and physical things are.

This is especially problematic when they set screens. I'd venture a guess that no "top" team in country sets worse screens than Brimah & Facey, which has only exacerbated the existing ball-handling problems. It's something I hope they both work on over the summer.

Hamilton & Purvis, meanwhile, play like AAU stars. They can both make some great open court plays, and have the talent to look like an NBA player at any given moment. The problem is that they can also look like a super-talented 15-year-old making the jump from JV to Varsity, so you get stuff like blocked jump shots and an endless parade of careless turnovers. I can understand why Hamilton makes those mistakes (he is, after all, a freshman), but with Purvis it's beyond concerning.

Calhoun has been a pleasant surprise, but clearly isn't 100% back yet and was never a ball-handler or passer anyway. Boat is a warrior, but as the only real veteran on the team... I mean, I'm not sure Chris Paul could lead this group to a season of solid play. Boat's got no chance.

That leaves the rest of the bench guys. They are - to be blunt - the fruits of our APR penalty & conference realignment hose-job. None of TSam, Phil, SCII or Rock should be anything more than a 10th man at this point, but here they are at Nos. 7-10 in our rotation. All of them have been asked to contribute big minutes, and none have really come through.

I'm not saying they don't belong - I'm glad that all of them are Huskies, and for TSam & Phil they locked up their UConn legacy forever in Dallas last year. But we missed out on guys like Josh Perkins, Abdul Malik-Abu and a handful of others over the past 2-3 years who I honestly believe we'd have landed if we hadn't gotten punched in the face by the powers that be.

It's frustrating as right now, and I'm running low on faith that it'll get better this season. But each of the last two classes have been better than the one before it, and while an NIT appearance won't help things at all, it also won't lead to the same crush of problems that the postseason ban and relegation to the AAC did.

At the same time, KO & Co. have now had a full cycle to recruit, which means they've gotten onto kids like Waters, Samuels, Brown, Japhet-Mathias and a bunch of others earlier in their recruitment (comparatively speaking) than they did for the 2014 or 2015 classes. With that kind of jump on things, combined with the fading memory of the postseason ban, I honestly think things will improve and we'll end up reclaiming a lot of the regular season consistency that's eluded us since the start of the decade.

In the meantime, this year sucks. I feel bad for Boat, and I want to see more from KO in terms of sanding down the rough edges on Purvis & Hamilton especially. The hallmark of the team over the past two years was how they improved over the course of the season, and to see that not happening has been a bummer.

By the way: Next year might suck, too. I expect all 9 guys to return, I expect all of them to improve in the offseason, and I expect at least one more top 100 recruit to join Adams & Enoch. But we'll still have a freshman running point, which is almost always a recipe for misery.

But!

But the year after that, in 2016/17... that's when we win our fifth title. And we'll be a top 15 team every year thereafter.

Reaction Score
Great post ^ from as detailed as setting terrible screens to the big picture. Agree 100%

Reaction Score
Yes. It's very frustrating because, individually, our first six guys are very, very talented.

The problem is that two of them (Brimah & Facey) are still new to the game. They haven't gotten as many reps against hungry opponents as almost every single one of their peers. Neither goes full-on "deer in headlights," but both have long stretches where it looks like they're kind of surprised at how intense and physical things are.

This is especially problematic when they set screens. I'd venture a guess that no "top" team in country sets worse screens than Brimah & Facey, which has only exacerbated the existing ball-handling problems. It's something I hope they both work on over the summer.

Hamilton & Purvis, meanwhile, play like AAU stars. They can both make some great open court plays, and have the talent to look like an NBA player at any given moment. The problem is that they can also look like a super-talented 15-year-old making the jump from JV to Varsity, so you get stuff like blocked jump shots and an endless parade of careless turnovers. I can understand why Hamilton makes those mistakes (he is, after all, a freshman), but with Purvis it's beyond concerning.

Calhoun has been a pleasant surprise, but clearly isn't 100% back yet and was never a ball-handler or passer anyway. Boat is a warrior, but as the only real veteran on the team... I mean, I'm not sure Chris Paul could lead this group to a season of solid play. Boat's got no chance.

That leaves the rest of the bench guys. They are - to be blunt - the fruits of our APR penalty & conference realignment hose-job. None of TSam, Phil, SCII or Rock should be anything more than a 10th man at this point, but here they are at Nos. 7-10 in our rotation. All of them have been asked to contribute big minutes, and none have really come through.

I'm not saying they don't belong - I'm glad that all of them are Huskies, and for TSam & Phil they locked up their UConn legacy forever in Dallas last year. But we missed out on guys like Josh Perkins, Abdul Malik-Abu and a handful of others over the past 2-3 years who I honestly believe we'd have landed if we hadn't gotten punched in the face by the powers that be.

It's frustrating as right now, and I'm running low on faith that it'll get better this season. But each of the last two classes have been better than the one before it, and while an NIT appearance won't help things at all, it also won't lead to the same crush of problems that the postseason ban and relegation to the AAC did.

At the same time, KO & Co. have now had a full cycle to recruit, which means they've gotten onto kids like Waters, Samuels, Brown, Japhet-Mathias and a bunch of others earlier in their recruitment (comparatively speaking) than they did for the 2014 or 2015 classes. With that kind of jump on things, combined with the fading memory of the postseason ban, I honestly think things will improve and we'll end up reclaiming a lot of the regular season consistency that's eluded us since the start of the decade.

In the meantime, this year sucks. I feel bad for Boat, and I want to see more from KO in terms of sanding down the rough edges on Purvis & Hamilton especially. The hallmark of the team over the past two years was how they improved over the course of the season, and to see that not happening has been a bummer.

By the way: Next year might suck, too. I expect all 9 guys to return, I expect all of them to improve in the offseason, and I expect at least one more top 100 recruit to join Adams & Enoch. But we'll still have a freshman running point, which is almost always a recipe for misery.

But!

But the year after that, in 2016/17... that's when we win our fifth title. And we'll be a top 15 team every year thereafter.
I love the optimism but the 2016-17 season might hinge on whether Dham comes back for a 3rd season. If he improves like I think he will next year(really love this kid's game and attitude) he will be gone. Maybe we will have a MCDAA to replace him. Keep the optimism high.

Reaction Score
If everybody returns we should be better. Facey & Brimah have improved and will continue to do so. Hopefully a leader emerges from Purvis, Hamilton and Samuel. Adams should be significant from the get go.
Cincy wanted it more last night. Our young players couldn't solve their "D" which was outstanding. T/O's also killed us. Experience, and further coaching should make a big difference.
Not saying we will be world beaters next year. But we'll easily be a tourney team. From what I see, all returnees should play through their senior seasons. If that happens we'll have big smiles on our faces in 2016-17. Not many schools can claim a title every 3-4 years.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
If you take the bashing and rose colored glasses away, all that will be left is "and".

Reaction Score
I think it is fair to rationally assess this team as less than the sum of its parts.

Boat is an A+ college player on both offense and defense.
Brimah is an A+ defensive player. And a fair to good offensive player.
Purvis s at worse a B+ offensive player and a fair to good defensive player.
Hamilton is an all around B+ player with a high ceiling.
Calhoun is a B shooter and a B defensive player.
Samuels is a B+ defensive player and a D offensive player.
Cassell at this point is a C player on both ends.
Facey is a D player offensively and a C+ defensively
Rock and Nolan are D players at this level right now.

It would be a good team if it played better than it's collective talent. It would be a better team if someone other than Boat went off offensively in a game or two. It would be a good team if a few players improved during the season. It would be a food team if....

But none of those if have happened. So we are a slightly better than average team. We are less than the sum of our parts.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Too many guys who do the same thing and too few that can score the ball consistently or even facilitate consistently.

Then there are the turnovers and boneheaded mistakes. Just not talented enough to overcome them.

Irony is that was another winnable game if you just eliminated the Roscoe Smith level WTF plays. At least RS limited his blooper reel highlights to once a season.

Reaction Score
I think it is fair to rationally assess this team as less than the sum of its parts.

Agreed
And+ defensive player? Really? More like a C-..... He doesn't stay on the court enough to warrant your grade. He does have A potential though.

B- offense, C defender

B+ potential, C- right now, especially IQ

Not sure what you're watching, but Omar is a D on defense

About right

D- on defense

Potential is there to significantly improve

Phil is an F on both ends. He literally doesn't do anything well. Lubin is an Incomplete

It would be a good team if it played better than it's collective talent. It would be a better team if someone other than Boat went off offensively in a game or two. It would be a good team if a few players improved during the season. It would be a food team if....

But none of those if have happened. So we are a slightly better than average team. We are less than the sum of our parts.

Reaction Score

Agreed even though on offense he forces too much so I give him an A.
Brimah A- as he still gets outmuscled too much and tries to block too much, average on offense as all he does is alley-oop balls right now.
C-offense don't really care for this part of his game, B+ on defense as he is a great man to man defensive player.
agreed.
B shooter I will give you but please keep his driving to a minimum with his bad handle. D defensive player as he gets beat off the dribble all the time.
Agreed on this one.
D on defense but agree on offense as he give RB some relief at PG.
Agreed.
Nolan F he can't even get a rebound. D on defense as he does have good position most of the time but that is it. Rock is incomplete as he barely gets any minutes.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I give Nolan a C+ on defense. As has been my mantra all season, he does a lot of little things very well that don't show up in his stat line. He doesn't block many shots or get many rebounds, but he provides excellent-on ball defense, is a great pick and roll defender, and is usually in good position to deny the inside pass.

Reaction Score
Fairly on point other than Brimah. How can you say he's an A+ when he has games like Duke? Against good front lines he struggles to stay on the court and his offense is a D. His offense is getting lobs against 6-6 guys or hitting 20% of his post hook or shots.

I do like your assessment of Facey, I've been saying this all season. Stone is such a difference maker because we'll have legit 4-5.

Reaction Score

I agree with your premise that the team is less than the sum of it's parts. But some of your player grades are really questionable when comparing them to prior players at he same position. If you think Boat is an A+ on offense then where are Kemba and Bazz (A+++) ? and if you think Brimah is an A+, then Emeka has to be an A++++++++. Purvis is at best is a C on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom