No. 9 prospect Rickea Jackson commits to Mississippi State | The Boneyard

No. 9 prospect Rickea Jackson commits to Mississippi State

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Rickea Jackson, a 6-foot-2 wing and the No. 9 prospect in the espnW HoopGurlz Top 100, has committed to Mississippi State.

The reigning Michigan Gatorade Player of the Year has led Detroit Edison to two consecutive Class C state titles and averaged 21.9 points, 10.8 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 2.3 steals and 1.6 blocks last season as a junior.

After visiting Mississippi State once, Rickea Jackson knew she had to take a second visit.

The 6’3” Jackson is the No. 1 player in the state and ranked No. 9 in the country by ESPN. She is the most heavily recruited player in the state in decades. The second trip to Starkville, Miss., is the one that did the trick.

“The first time on my official visit I had that feeling already,” she said Friday. “I wanted to give the same opportunity to all of the schools. So I waited and took unofficials to South Carolina, Rutgers and Mississippi State. The second time around I just knew for a fact that Mississippi State was the place for me.”

"Coach Vic Schaefer is genuine. He will push me," Jackson said. "Finally I have a home and I'm happy."

Jackson, who chose Mississippi State over Rutgers and South Carolina, joins No. 88 Jayla Hemingway, No. 98 JaMya Young, Esmery Martinez and Aliyah Matharu in Schaefer's stellar 2019 class. Mississippi State was ranked 19th in the most recent recruiting class rankings. Jackson's signature will send the Bulldogs skyrocketing.

The process was anything but easy for Jackson. She took an official visit to Starkville at the end of September and was immediately drawn to the program.

Story

With Jackson's commitment, that leaves just 3 of 2019 Hoopgurlz top 100 players uncommitted. #1 Haley Jones, #3 Aliyah Boston and #68 Kennady Tucker 5-10 pg - NLR H.S. - East Campus (AR)

Last edited by a moderator:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Our recruiting has gotten better in the last two years. Still looks like we don't get as many top 30 recruits as UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor, and South Carolina but Vic has gotten what he needs. He knows what he's doing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Our recruiting has gotten better in the last two years. Still looks like we don't get as many top 30 recruits as UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor, and South Carolina but Vic has gotten what he needs. He knows what he's doing.

Welcome to the Boneyard SimpleDawg. We're happy to have you. :)

True, but you're on the map and heading in the right direction. UConn and Memphis (#80 Lanetta Williams) were the only two AAC programs to sign a 2019 Hoopgurlz top 100 recruit this year. My opinion about Vic Schaefer mirrors that of JordyG. He's got that program "on the come", and yes, he knows what he's doing. When he walks into living rooms now, he no longer has to wear a name tag, players and their parents know who he is. Good luck to you and Miss St. Praise the Lord and go dawgs. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
But Jackson and her family also felt a tug toward Rutgers and legendary coach C. Vivian Stringer.
"My family loved [Coach Stringer], so, it made me think that maybe I made a mistake," Jackson said.

Awe. Wish the tug was a little bit stronger.

Good luck to her.

Reaction Score
Did Ms State need Jackson. That was not a stellar looking class when you’re top prospect was #88 and #98 and two unrated players.

Reaction Score
L’ville missed on every big name they went after. They had Green #12 already and #99 Parker. They just signed a pg who played for the Japanese natl team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Did Ms State need Jackson. That was not a stellar looking class when you’re top prospect was #88 and #98 and two unrated players.

Logic says yes...but Vic has made back to back title games without any top 20 recruits on the roster, so he seems to get more out of lower ranked players than most.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Fantastic get for Mississippi State. Last year it looked like the cupboard was going to be bare this year sans McCowan, but in the offseason he was able to get Howard, and AEH.

Next year it appeared Mississippi State would be take a big step back without Howard, Danberry, McCowan, and Holmes, but he lands Jackson, plus adds in Taylor. He'll also have AEH, Bibby, and Wiggins all returning. Not sure if Mississippi State stays a title threat right away next year but it seems like you cant count Vic out even if his team doesn't look Final Four worthy on paper.

Reaction Score
Rating of Women basketball players is really not very accurate. These ratings are heavily skewed toward AAU performance and larger schools. Many of the young ladies are overlooked by the rating guys but the good coaches scout the local, usually district level, and they know the talent. Those two girls Vic recruited are under rated both are gems. They are also usually ready to be noticed and are more than willing to do the work required to get recognized. Vic’s class was really good without Jackson, great with her.

Reaction Score
Rating of Women basketball players is really not very accurate. These ratings are heavily skewed toward AAU performance and larger schools. Many of the young ladies are overlooked by the rating guys but the good coaches scout the local, usually district level, and they know the talent. Those two girls Vic recruited are under rated both are gems. They are also usually ready to be noticed and are more than willing to do the work required to get recognized. Vic’s class was really good without Jackson, great with her.
I wondered about that. When Lville signed Kylee Shook she was not in the top 60. Within several months she was top 20. There is no doubt though a top 10 player will generally have much more impact than a player ranked 80-100. Not to say there aren’t plenty of exceptions. As an example take the 2013 class who outproduced their rating like Alexis Peterson #92, China Dow #90, Brittany Brown #85, Lindsey Spann #84, Ashley Morrissette #83, Sydney Weise #80, Ivy Slaughter #79, Karlie Samuelson #77, #75 Soniya Chong, #74 Jessica January, #71 Chantel Osahor #69 Ally Disterhoff. That's 12 terrific players from the lower third that had great college careers. The #1 Russell was not the powerhouse that was expected, #4 Taya Reimer, #8 Jannah Tucker from the top 10 didn't help their teams like the players mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think you may overstating that class a little bit.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I wondered about that. When Lville signed Kylee Shook she was not in the top 60. Within several months she was top 20. There is no doubt though a top 10 player will generally have much more impact than a player ranked 80-100. Not to say there are plenty of exceptions. As an example take the 2013 class who outproduced their rating like Alexis Peterson #92, China Dow #90, Brittany Brown #85, Lindsey Spann #84, Ashley Morrissette #83, Sydney Weise #80, Ivy Slaughter #79, Karlie Samuelson #77, #75 Soniya Chong, #74 Jessica January, #71 Chantel Osahor #69 Ally Disterhoff. That's 12 terrific players from the lower 31that had great college careers. The #1 Russell was not the powerhouse that was expected, #4 Taya Reimer, #8 Jannah Tucker from the top 10 didn't help their teams like the players mentioned above.

2013 was strange class in that a lot of players who were highly ranked didnt produce as expected, and the stars ended up being less heralded plauers coming out of HS.

Most years you see that top recruits pan out well, and top 5 kids typically do too (unless they play for Holly Warlick). There are always some unsung players who outperform their ranking and others who bust.

A huge factor that consistently gets overlooked is coaching quality. We consistently see top kids from squads that regularly go deep in March pan out quite well. It's rare that a UCONN, ND, Stanford, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Baylor or Maryland kid is a bust. All of those coaches build solid teams and develop their players. On the flip side, players from either of the UTs and Duke rarely stand out at the collegiate level despite coming in as heralded players.

Reaction Score
2013 was strange class in that a lot of players who were highly ranked didnt produce as expected, and the stars ended up being less heralded plauers coming out of HS.

Most years you see that top recruits pan out well, and top 5 kids typically do too (unless they play for Holly Warlick). There are always some unsung players who outperform their ranking and others who bust.

A huge factor that consistently gets overlooked is coaching quality. We consistently see top kids from squads that regularly go deep in March pan out quite well. It's rare that a UCONN, ND, Stanford, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Baylor or Maryland kid is a bust. All of those coaches build solid teams and develop their players. On the flip side, players from either of the UTs and Duke rarely stand out at the collegiate level despite coming in as heralded players.
Agree with this post, good coaching makes good player great. Great coaching makes a good team great.

Reaction Score
I’m happy for the MSU program on landing the #9 recruit. Yes, Vic doesn’t get all the top 30 players BUT he knows how to develop a player defensively. That’s sometimes the hardest thing to teach.

Reaction Score
L’ville missed on every big name they went after. They had Green #12 already and #99 Parker. They just signed a pg who played for the Japanese natl team.
Sight unseen, the Japanese PG is better than any of the pgs that were left. Will be a great ballhandler and passer.

Reaction Score

Well...one of the recruits, JaMya Mingo-Young, was ranked #38 by ESPN when she committed. She has been slowed down by two serious knee injuries, but seems to be kn the right track.

Another, Esmery Martinez, blew onto the recruiting scene this summer, picking up offers from UCLA, South Carolina, Louisville, and others. If she shows out strong her senior HS season she has a chance to crack the top 100. HHCA gets a lot of publicity. I would be interested to see her current CGBR ranking...

Jayla Hemingway is ranked #21 by Prospects Nation, but #88 by ESPN.

And lastly, Aliyah Matharu is definitely a sleeper.

Reaction Score
Well...one of the recruits, JaMya Mingo-Young, was ranked #38 by ESPN when she committed. She has been slowed down by two serious knee injuries, but seems to be kn the right track.

Another, Esmery Martinez, blew onto the recruiting scene this summer, picking up offers from UCLA, South Carolina, Louisville, and others. If she shows out strong her senior HS season she has a chance to crack the top 100. HHCA gets a lot of publicity. I would be interested to see her current CGBR ranking...

Jayla Hemingway is ranked #21 by Prospects Nation, but #88 by ESPN.

And lastly, Aliyah Matharu is definitely a sleeper.
JaMya could be the steal of the season. I watched some HS highlights she played prior to the knee injury, she was fantastic. If she fully recovers she will be a star.

Reaction Score
I’m happy for the MSU program on landing the #9 recruit. Yes, Vic doesn’t get all the top 30 players BUT he knows how to develop a player defensively. That’s sometimes the hardest thing to teach.
This isn’t really on subject at all but it does involve Miss St.and the final four game with L'ville. Dana Evans manhandled Morgan William. I never saw Evans put it to another player all year like that. Wish she had more chances verse Morgan in that game.
Vic got away from that matchup. Smart.

Reaction Score
This isn’t really on subject at all but it does involve Miss St.and the final four game with L'ville. Dana Evans manhandled Morgan William. I never saw Evans put it to another player all year like that. Wish she had more chances verse Morgan in that game.
Vic got away from that matchup. Smart.
I thought the far more impressive defender that game was Jordan Danberry. She totally disrupted Durr.

Reaction Score
I thought the far more impressive defender that game was Jordan Danberry. She totally disrupted Durr.
I was referring as much to Evans offense verse William as defense. Morgan couldn’t guard her. Evans wasn’t used to playing someone smaller than her and looked good.
Danberry did a very nice job in her minutes. Walz new about her she just came through big.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom