NMS Coach Chris Jan headed to Mississippi State. | The Boneyard

NMS Coach Chris Jan headed to Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
ESPN is reporting that Chris Jans will be next Mississippi State coach. Good way to leverage a win over UConn. New Mexico State also beat MS State in Jackson, MS in December of 2019 over Ben Howland.

Reaction Score
Good for him. His team played hard and never gave in. Great defensive team and physical

Not sure how well he can recruit and Starkville is a difficult place to have success. Get paid he deserves it

Reaction Score
Very good coach. Recruiting definitely the question mark.

Reaction Score
Knew this was inevitable. He did a lot of good for the program but recruiting to Mississippi State will be a challenge in the beginning.

Not sure what NMSU does now.

Reaction Score
Watched him at the halftime interview with the announcer. Seemed like a personable guy.

Looked pretty focused on the sidelines too.

Maybe, Miss. State got tired of Ben Howland and recent dropoff of wins, and no recent NCAA appearances.

Everybody wants to dance, few are invited.

1647793355996.png

Reaction Score
This guy is another one from the Greg Marshall tree, correct? Like Steve Forbes at Wake Forest…these guys seems to have success.

Reaction Score
This guy is another one from the Greg Marshall tree, correct? Like Steve Forbes at Wake Forest…these guys seems to have success.
Looks that way. As stated in the article, "Jans also had a stint as an assistant coach at Wichita State during the Shockers' undefeated 2013-14 regular season"

Seems like this was in motion prior to UConn win but the win over UConn and good showing against Arkansas probably confirmed it. Hard to believe they could do the necessary vetting with legal team in a few days but I could be mistaken.

Reaction Score
This guy has been on the "next in line" list for a P5 job for a while. Now as good a time as any to make the leap.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whatever his other issues, Marshall was one hell of a basketball coach.

Reaction Score
Whatever his other issues, Marshall was one hell of a basketball coach.

I agree. Wichita has disappeared since. Considering all of the 2nd, 3rd, etc chances being given out there, I’m surprised he’s not back on the sidelines (at South Carolina)…assuming he wants to.

Reaction Score
Wikipedia already lists him as Mississippi State coach. Always interesting how quickly such things are updated.

Reaction Score
I agree. Wichita has disappeared since. Considering all of the 2nd, 3rd, etc chances being given out there, I’m surprised he’s not back on the sidelines (at South Carolina)…assuming he wants to.
He coached at Winthrop before Wichita and is from South Carolina. Seems like a great fit

Reaction Score
Does Juwan Howard need another assistant?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I
Seems like this was in motion prior to UConn win but the win over UConn and good showing against Arkansas probably confirmed it. Hard to believe they could do the necessary vetting with legal team in a few days but I could be mistaken.
Marvin Menzies had NMSU playing in March in 6 of his final 7 seasons prior to Jans. He went to UNLV and was mediocre. But he's available to come back if they want him. NMSU has been top of WAC for more than a decade. I imagine they'll be fine unless they hire a total schmuck. Guess they could also offer the job to Howland, who wants to stay fairly close to SoCal.

Reaction Score
I

Marvin Menzies had NMSU playing in March in 6 of his final 7 seasons prior to Jans. He went to UNLV and was mediocre. But he's available to come back if they want him. NMSU has been top of WAC for more than a decade. I imagine they'll be fine unless they hire a total schmuck. Guess they could also offer the job to Howland, who wants to stay fairly close to SoCal.
Howland makes sense as I first remember him coaching Northern Arizona prior to Pitt.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Guy is a really, really good coach. Was before this week.
5 years as a head coach and he’s never won less than 20 games. He is a great coach who will make Mississippi State competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom