OT: Niumatalolo stumps for more support of Navy football | The Boneyard

OT: Niumatalolo stumps for more support of Navy football

Reaction Score
Niumatalolo stumps for more support of Navy football

>>Niumatalolo noted the leadership of archrival Army made a complete and total commitment to finally fielding a winning football program. Fundamental changes in the way the West Point administration approached football has led to a dramatic turnaround for the Black Knights under the direction of head coach Jeff Monken.

If the Naval Academy administration won’t make a similar commitment, Niumatalolo believes the football program should pull out of the American Athletic Conference.

“If we’re not willing to make those sacrifices, if people are too concerned or don’t want to do that, then I’m cool with that and let’s just go into the Patriot League,” Niumatalolo said. “Army wasn’t concerned. They were tired of losing and did everything it took to turn things around. That’s kind of where we’re at now.”<<

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Huh. Weird that he hasn't left. He's apparently had a number of chances?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I happen to disagree that they can't compete in the AAC. They were doing just fine for a long while. Right now they are in a trough.

Looking at his record and its quite remarkable since taking over for the 2008 season, it sure seems a bit premature to declare the AAC too much for Navy football. He has two bowl wins in 4 years and three bowl appearances.

Navy Midshipmen Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If Navy left, who replaces them?
Army? kinda of kidding here...

I would think at this stage we dont replace them...and go unbalanced until 2025. I would want to leave room to add a school in FL if the AAC loses UCF or USF to the B12.

But if we had to replace them right away then I think about 1/2 the schools in CUSA would be candidates along with Buffalo. UMass is only a candidate if we leave.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What is he specifically asking for?

From article:

>>One of Niumatalolo’s primary talking points has involved nutrition. Most major college football programs feed their players in a dining facility that is part of the football complex. Navy players eat most of their meals at King Hall with the entire Brigade of Midshipmen. Often, treatment following practice forces many to miss dinner during the season.<<

>>Niumatalolo noted that offensive coordinator Ivin Jasper recently returned from a visit to a Power Five school and was blown away by the football facilities, using the term “unbelievable” to describe some of what he saw.

“I feel confident Chet recognizes that we need to keep up with the Joneses if we want to be in this league,” Niumatalolo said. “I think Chet knows there are some musts that you have to do if you want to compete with these schools.<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL - no kidding Navy can’t consistently compete in the AAC.

Good job putting guys like Oliver at riak so they can keep their own football contract.

Kick out Tulsa, Navy, Tulane and Wichita tomorrow and this league wouldn’t be quite so brutal.

Reaction Score
I think bringing Army in as a football member would be a good thing. They, like Navy, bring a devoted following and that, along with the Army-Navy game, under the AAC umbrella could only be a good thing for the conference.

Reaction Score
I think bringing Army in as a football member would be a good thing. They, like Navy, bring a devoted following and that, along with the Army-Navy game, under the AAC umbrella could only be a good thing for the conference.

James Madison, Marshall, Lafayette, Dayton, Umass, & Buffalo as well. Keep spreading the greatness of this league. It is rising.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

OMG No. STOP.

They can’t compete in the AAC.

Reaction Score

Good job putting guys like Oliver at riak so they can keep their own football contract.

Kick out Tulsa, Navy, Tulane and Wichita tomorrow and this league wouldn’t be quite so brutal.

Wichita?

Reaction Score

this notion of kicking under-performing schools out while on a Uconn board is somewhat ironic.
navy has been pretty solid for the AAC. Its also funny that Navy is down and looking to Army has the model whereas the past decade or so Army was in the crapper and people were calling to drop the program because it couldn't compete.

really not sure what kicking wichita out does for football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
this notion of kicking under-performing schools out while on a Uconn board is somewhat ironic.
navy has been pretty solid for the AAC. Its also funny that Navy is down and looking to Army has the model whereas the past decade or so Army was in the crapper and people were calling to drop the program because it couldn't compete.

really not sure what kicking wichita out does for football.

I know they aren’t kicking anyone out. Never adding them would have been better.

Reaction Score
I know they aren’t kicking anyone out. Never adding them would have been better.
and you don't think UNC or FSU is thinking the same thing with Uconn? Or Michigan and Ohio State? Except in there case, we haven't been added and likely won't.

We haven't even been performing above .500 in BB in a league that people still complain about. In football, we're the penultimate doormat 3 years running.

yet, people still snub their nose down on other programs. Seems silly

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
and you don't think UNC or FSU is thinking the same thing with Uconn? Or Michigan and Ohio State? Except in there case, we haven't been added and likely won't.

We haven't even been performing above .500 in BB in a league that people still complain about. In football, we're the penultimate doormat 3 years running.

yet, people still snub their nose down on other programs. Seems silly

Uh I know no P5 league is looking to add UConn or anyone else.

UConn is currently bad so UConn fans should just accept any janky program in any sport?

Screw garbage athletic programs like Tulane.

Reaction Score
Uh I know no P5 league is looking to add UConn or anyone else.

UConn is currently bad so UConn fans should just accept any janky program in any sport?

Screw garbage athletic programs like Tulane.
To each their own. It's a little pot calling kettle black.

Reaction Score
From article:

>>One of Niumatalolo’s primary talking points has involved nutrition. Most major college football programs feed their players in a dining facility that is part of the football complex. Navy players eat most of their meals at King Hall with the entire Brigade of Midshipmen. Often, treatment following practice forces many to miss dinner during the season.<<

>>Niumatalolo noted that offensive coordinator Ivin Jasper recently returned from a visit to a Power Five school and was blown away by the football facilities, using the term “unbelievable” to describe some of what he saw.

“I feel confident Chet recognizes that we need to keep up with the Joneses if we want to be in this league,” Niumatalolo said. “I think Chet knows there are some musts that you have to do if you want to compete with these schools.<<
Wow, that first point is just wrong on so many levels. If you can’t feed your guys don’t bother playing sports. Meaning Navy AD and admins, not coaches...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To each their own. It's a little pot calling kettle black.

not in the least.

you are talking about how teams are now. im talking about programs.

you want to add and subsidize schools like tulane who came to the AAC and didn’t even have a radio contract at the time? that’s insane - have some pride

Reaction Score
Gladchuk: New media deal 'validates' Navy decision to join AAC

Guessing Niumatalolo gets his training table/facility needs met now... ;)

>>“It will be significantly more than we realize today and will greatly enhance our ability to meet a wide array of needs on a lot of different fronts at the Naval Academy,” Gladchuk said. “This validates the decision the Naval Academy made to join this prestigious conference. Being part of this conference is delivering a return on investment that is game-changing.”<<

Reaction Score
Tulane didn't want to stay in C-USA. Can't blame them. Our conference name was probably influenced by "C-USA" anyway, except starting the name with an A sure helps with short attention spans of today. I am surprised Rice seems content there.

Reaction Score
Tulane didn't want to stay in C-USA. Can't blame them. Our conference name was probably influenced by "C-USA" anyway, except starting the name with an A sure helps with short attention spans of today. I am surprised Rice seems content there.

I sure hope you are donating your brain to science ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom