NIT Selection Show | The Boneyard

NIT Selection Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
At 8:30 on ESPNU.

Tourney starts Tuesday, the 17th. "Final four" will be played at MSG on 3/31 and the Championship game is on April 2nd, a Thursday night.

I know it's hardly a consolation but I like the thought of Boat raising another trophy at the Garden in front of thousands of UCONN fans and his championship belt along the parade route one last time. Going out with 5 fouls and 7 points is unacceptable for a legendary Husky. The dream of back-to-back dual national championships isn't dead!!!

Reaction Score
Can we do this without saying embarrassing things like "winning the NIT is a national championship."

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
The question is will this team be motivated enough to play well in the NIT, Or will they just want to pack it up and call it a day?

Eskapeesto

Reaction Score
Can we do this without saying embarrassing things like "winning the NIT is a national championship."

Figured that would be the first comment. It's the National Invitational Tournament. A distant second-tier national tournament, yes. But national nonetheless.

EDIT: I know, I know. I'm grasping at straws here. Just trying to soothe my battered soul.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if the NIT becomes the tournament for the non-P5/Big East at some point. Until tonight I did not think that a split was coming, but after what happened with the Selection Committee, there is no doubt. The only question is what happens to the Big East. Everyone else's fate is sealed.

Reaction Score
If we play on Tuesday, wonder if Daniel Hamilton will be available. That's when his grandmother's funeral is.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
If this is any consolation, UK went to the NIT in 2013.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Let's just go out to win as much hardware as we can, wherever and whenever we can. That's the UConn way. There shouldn't be any other way for a team that wears the UConn jersey.

Of course, this is assuming that the NIT committee doesn't screw us the way the NCAA committee screwed the rest of our league...

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
And they promptly lost their first game to Robert Morris of the NEC.

And the year after went to the final 4, and we all know what happened after that :cool:

Reaction Score
I hope we don't get on Yale's side of the bracket.

So depressing.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Next year starts now.
We need the practice.
I agree with both statements, however what have you seen from that indicated they're getting better? We have been making the same mistakes for 34 games - Purvis has just recently started to turn around albeit. I think it would leave a better message to the team if we snubbed their bid and cut the umbilical cord from Boatright.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree with both statements, however what have you seen from that indicated they're getting better? We have been making the same mistakes for 34 games - Purvis has just recently started to turn around albeit. I think it would leave a better message to the team if we snubbed their bid and cut the umbilical cord from Boatright.

Yup. That's the secret to getting better. Less games... :confused:

Reaction Score
After all the energy they just expended and the low they just experienxed I wonder what they would even have left for a Tuesday game if they got scheduled on that day

Eskapeesto

Reaction Score
Wow, the best we can hope for is a 2 seed??

Old Dominion, Richmond, Temple, and Colorado State are all 1 seeds.

Montana, Charleston Southern, UC Davis, William & Mary, Louisiana Tech, Iona, North Carolina Central, Central Michigan, St. Francis (NY), Murray State, Bucknell, and South Dakota State all earned automatic berths.

Reaction Score
At 8:30 on ESPNU.

Tourney starts Tuesday, the 17th. "Final four" will be played at MSG on 3/31 and the Championship game is on April 2nd, a Thursday night.

I know it's hardly a consolation but I like the thought of Boat raising another trophy at the Garden in front of thousands of UCONN fans and his championship belt along the parade route one last time. Going out with 5 fouls and 7 points is unacceptable for a legendary Husky. The dream of back-to-back dual national championships isn't dead!!!
There will be some good and better teams in the NIT. I hope we can get through this but we shoot toooooo many jumpers and our poor starts have cost us!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yup. That's the secret to getting better. Less games... :confused:
It hasn't worked for the first 34 games, so you think it'll work for the next 4-5?
The team that just kicked our collective played in the NIT last year, and improved because of it.

We return 9 guys from this team next year, all of whom need reps in games that matter. And it's a tournament worth winning. That's the point.
That team returned everyone. We're losing our centerpiece. Big difference. Don't get me wrong, I love this team - but I think 4-5 more games of horrid offense and depending on Boatright won't do anything but hurt. They need to learn how to play winning basketball, so in a way you're correct. I just hope it wouldn't come to this :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom