NIT leaving MSG | The Boneyard

NIT leaving MSG

Reaction Score
NIT leaving MSG for at least the next two years. No reason given. The tournament will lose a lot of its attractiveness leaving MSG and NYC.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that. I like the tradition of MSG

Maybe moving around the country or something could spark some local interest. Maybe NYC doesn’t care

Reaction Score
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
In '97 as a UConn student a bunch of us bought tickets to the title game as soon as we made it to New York. Then we lost in the semifinals so we got to watch the third-place game, which I think they did away with soon after.
Ended the season with a win, though

Reaction Score
I remember my father telling me back in the 60s that the NIT meant more than the NCAAs
NIT was a very big deal for a long time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I remember my father telling me back in the 60s that the NIT meant more than the NCAAs

Occasionally a team would turn down the NCAA Tournament to play in the NIT through the 60's. I think Marquette was the last team to do that around 1968 or 1969, and then they changed the rules and a team had to go to the NCAA tournament if it was invited. The NCAA had a weird format where small conferences got automatic bids but there were few at-large bids into the 1970's, so the top half of the NIT was better than the bottom half of the NCAA most years until the field went to 64 teams in the early 80's. The NCAA Tournament was also bracketed regionally. I wouldn't say that was the only reason UCLA won all those championships, but playing teams like Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara in the Final 8 certainly helped.

Reaction Score
Occasionally a team would turn down the NCAA Tournament to play in the NIT through the 60's. I think Marquette was the last team to do that around 1968 or 1969, and then they changed the rules and a team had to go to the NCAA tournament if it was invited. The NCAA had a weird format where small conferences got automatic bids but there were few at-large bids into the 1970's, so the top half of the NIT was better than the bottom half of the NCAA most years until the field went to 64 teams in the early 80's. The NCAA Tournament was also bracketed regionally. I wouldn't say that was the only reason UCLA won all those championships, but playing teams like Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara in the Final 8 certainly helped.
1. That was the "Dean the Dream" Meminger Marquette team and you are correct -- that was the last time a team turned down an NCAA bid for the NIT. I was at the final that year. Meminger ended up as a backup on the Knicks.

2. The 25 team NCAA tournament was totally different. Not only was it regionally bracketed but only one team per conference was allowed. So to get to the Final Four every year, all UCLA had to do was win its conference and then best two much smaller schools (champions of the PCAA (now Big West), old WAC (closer to today's Mountain West but including Utah, BYU, ASU and U of A) and the Big Sky. That what was made the ACC Championship game between David Thompson's NC State and the Maryland team of Elmore/McMillan/Lucas one of the best games every played. The winner was overwhelmingly likely to get to the Final Four, while the loser went to the NIT.

Reaction Score
It's hard for the NIT Final Four to attract fans when the teams are not local. Look at the last 3 championship game attendance:

2019: 4,051 Texas vs. Lipscomb
2018: 11,175 Penn St. vs. Utah
2019: 5,029 Georgia Tech vs. TCU

I doubt ticket revenues are covering the rental cost of MSG.

Reaction Score
It's hard for the NIT Final Four to attract fans when the teams are not local. Look at the last 3 championship game attendance:

2019: 4,051 Texas vs. Lipscomb
2018: 11,175 Penn St. vs. Utah
2019: 5,029 Georgia Tech vs. TCU

I doubt ticket revenues are covering the rental cost of MSG.
Pretty much a sad reality. However, I definitely think there is an opportunity with the rotation. Rather than go to premier arenas, I think it would be cool if they rotate through more historic arenas/smaller venues that wouldn't normally get to host a big event. I think that would add to the appeal of the NIT and really double down on its heritage. Think like Hinkle, Assembly Hall, The Palestra, Cameron Indoor, etc.

Reaction Score
Pretty much a sad reality. However, I definitely think there is an opportunity with the rotation. Rather than go to premier arenas, I think it would be cool if they rotate through more historic arenas/smaller venues that wouldn't normally get to host a big event. I think that would add to the appeal of the NIT and really double down on its heritage. Think like Hinkle, Assembly Hall, The Palestra, Cameron Indoor, etc.
one nice thing about the NIT final four format is that you're guaranteed to see your team play two games, which eliminates the risk of traveling to these venues and your team losing the first game.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
My guess would be Las Vegas will host. Don’t need much of an incentive to get people to travel there and flights are generally reasonable

Reaction Score
Too bad. I was there with a few friends in 1988 when Calhoun was in his 2nd season and UConn making the NIT was a big deal at that time. The place was packed and loud and when UConn won it the fans (us included) stormed the court and celebrated with the players. Fun memories.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My guess would be Las Vegas will host. Don’t need much of an incentive to get people to travel there and flights are generally reasonable
Or maybe Orlando, Miami or New Orleans. The reality is that New York is wildly expensive and not all that appealing as a destination in March.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say that was the only reason UCLA won all those championships, but playing teams like Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara in the Final 8 certainly helped.
Not just that, they got to host West Regionals at Pauley.

Reaction Score
Thank you for explaining this. My mom always talks about how she was a student at Dayton when they won the NIT and how it was a huge party. I never really understood why until reading this post.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yes.

Back when the tournament was the UCLA invitational Marquette had a team that could have competed with anyone in the country except UCLA. As an independent, they had no specific region and were selected to be in the west as a top five team with no realistic shot at making the final four. McGuire turned it down for the NIT, leading the NCAA to make a rule where if you decline the NCAA tournament, you decline postseason play.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Back when the tournament was the UCLA invitational Marquette had a team that could have competed with anyone in the country except UCLA. As an independent, they had no specific region and were selected to be in the west as a top five team with no realistic shot at making the final four. McGuire turned it down for the NIT, leading the NCAA to make a rule where if you decline the NCAA tournament, you decline postseason play.
Thanks for filling in the gaps in my understanding of this story.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom