OT: - Nintendo Switch | The Boneyard

OT: Nintendo Switch

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’ve been out of the gaming world for a decade. Bought one of these today @ $299 that included Mario Kart Deluxe8 for my 6 yr old. All the kids are into Fortnite, unfortunately, which I’m under the impression you download rather than buy.

What accessories or games would you suggest for family fun? Do we need extra controllers to race one another? Chargers? He mentioned some LEGO backpack unit? Still learning, any suggestions from Dads out there would be helpful. Happy Thanksgiving.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’ve been out of the gaming world for a decade. Bought one of these today @ $299 that included Mario Kart Deluxe8 for my 6 yr old. All the kids are into Fortnite, unfortunately, which I’m under the impression you download rather than buy.

What accessories or games would you suggest for family fun? Do we need extra controllers to race one another? Chargers? He mentioned some LEGO backpack unit? Still learning, any suggestions from Dads out there would be helpful. Happy Thanksgiving.

I would’ve recommended just getting an n64 off eBay

Reaction Score
You do have to download Fortnite, but it is free to play - the only thing you would need to spend money on that game is different skins (clothes) for your character.

I would suggest buying the Pro Controller if you wanted to play with him. Some good family games are Mario Party and Super Smash Bros (which releases in early December)

Reaction Score
Smash comes out soon

I'd buy a pro controller

Reaction Score
I bought a N64 “for my son” two months ago on Amazon for $70 or so. I will be giving it to him for Christmas. Maybe an original Nintendo next.
I'd skip the OG Nintendo and get a SNES classic

Reaction Score
I'm actually hoping one of those Mario Kart Switch bundles with Smash also finds its way to me for Christmas lmao. (In laws are on it.)

GemParty

Reaction Score
Smash comes out soon

I'd buy a pro controller
What’s the pro do?

When you get the red & green controller is that for 1? Person or 2 to play on the tv ?

Reaction Score
What’s the pro do?

When you get the red & green controller is that for 1? Person or 2 to play on the tv ?
The pro controller is a more traditional controller that you'd want to use for any single player game. The joy con controllers are what come with the system. They can be used together or separately for multiplayer. They're definitely too small for an adult to use for long periods of time but for kids they're ok

Pokemon Let's Go just came out, also. That would be a good first entry into the Pokemon series for a six year old. It's a mix between traditional Pokemon and Pokemon go

GemParty

Reaction Score
The pro controller is a more traditional controller that you'd want to use for any single player game. The joy con controllers are what come with the system. They can be used together or separately for multiplayer. They're definitely too small for an adult to use for long periods of time but for kids they're ok

Pokemon Let's Go just came out, also. That would be a good first entry into the Pokemon series for a six year old. It's a mix between traditional Pokemon and Pokemon go

Thanks. Do you have any other favorites? The Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze & Splatoon look cool. Are they bought online or go to like GameStop for new or used?

Reaction Score
I’ve got one and like any well adjusted adult male in his 40’s - plays a lot of games.

Zelda is a total must-get. It’s probably the best game that came out last year, it’s accessible for kids - lots of puzzles, cool physics and no graphic violence. It’s awesome.

Kids will probably love the new Mario Brothers game. It’s fun, but I thought it was pretty overrated.

Def get a pro controller. Especially for single player games. Get a travel case as kids will kick the out of it if you don’t.

Fortnite is free. You just download it. I’m not that into it. I tried. If your kids are young be a little wary. It’s cross platform online and there’s a lot of d-bags on Xbox and PS that get a little over the top with the trash talk. Games not that violent though. I don’t think at least.

Online is $20 for the whole years which is great. You can download the NES game library which has like 25 games out already and is expanding every month. Save the money on and old school replica system and just do that.

Reaction Score
Splatoon is weird as weird gets but it’s a blast and a really good shooter for young kids. It’s more about inking space than it is “killing” other people and there’s always a way you can contribute. Zero of the trash talk BS you get from other online games. It’s super Japanese.

DK Tropical Freeze is a ton of fun. I mean it’s a souped up version of what you played growing up and I still play the original.

Smash Brothers is mindlessly fun.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Do you have any other favorites? The Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze & Splatoon look cool. Are they bought online or go to like GameStop for new or used?
Zelda BOTW is the best game for the system, at least in my opinion. It might be a little complex for a six year old but you'd enjoy it. Mario Odyssey is good too. It's very easy and is probably a little more accessible for a younger kid than Zelda is.

All games can be downloaded nowadays. You never have to actually go to the store to buy them. With that being said, if you download games, or have a lot of games, you'll want to upgrade the system storage with a micro SD card. There are a lot on sale for Black Friday so it's not a bad time to get one. You don't need the Nintendo branded one.

I buy the big titles like Zelda, Mario, etc on cartridges. For small games or non-nintendo games I download them. If your kid is going to play on the go a lot, downloading has the advantage that you don't need to bring physical games with you.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Zelda BOTW is the best game for the system, at least in my opinion. It might be a little complex for a six year old but you'd enjoy it. Mario Odyssey is good too. It's very easy and is probably a little more accessible for a younger kid than Zelda is.

All games can be downloaded nowadays. You never have to actually go to the store to buy them. With that being said, if you download games, or have a lot of games, you'll want to upgrade the system storage with a micro SD card. There are a lot on sale for Black Friday so it's not a bad time to get one. You don't need the Nintendo branded one.

We bought it. It’s fun for me lol

Reaction Score

Do you play Pokémon Go?

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
I’ve been into too many serious games recently (Black Ops, Red Dead, Spider-Man, etc), so I’m making the “switch”. Need to refresh myself with Smash, Mario, and others for x-mas

GemParty

Reaction Score

I buy the big titles like Zelda, Mario, etc on cartridges. For small games or non-nintendo games I download them. If your kid is going to play on the go a lot, downloading has the advantage that you don't need to bring physical games with you.

What size SD card? Do u add initially when you first set up?

Reaction Score
What size SD card? Do u add initially when you first set up?
It really depends on how many games and profiles/saves you plan on having. You can add one to the system at any time so it's not something you need right away but some games are so big that they require it. Nintendo games typically don't require it, though.

GemParty

Reaction Score

When you download games vs buy for example a New game. Is it the same price either way? How do I pay online.

Reaction Score
When you download games vs buy for example a New game. Is it the same price either way? How do I pay online.
so there are two ways to buy games online.

The first is the Nintendo E-Shop. You add funds to your Nintendo wallet and can purchase games through their online store that you have access to with the switch

The second way to do it is to purchase a digital copy through an online retailer. It will give you a product key in an email and then you enter that in the redeem portion of the Nintendo E-Shop

There are price differences between the E-shop, digital codes, and buying a physical cartridge - and sometimes they can all vary retailer to retailer. The best thing to do is research the prices individually. If I'm going to buy a game, I typically check all of the usual suspects - Game Stop, Best Buy, Amazon, Costco, etc. and see who is charging the least.

GemParty

Reaction Score
so there are two ways to buy games online.

The first is the Nintendo E-Shop. You add funds to your Nintendo wallet and can purchase games through their online store that you have access to with the switch

The second way to do it is to purchase a digital copy through an online retailer. It will give you a product key in an email and then you enter that in the redeem portion of the Nintendo E-Shop

There are price differences between the E-shop, digital codes, and buying a physical cartridge - and sometimes they can all vary retailer to retailer. The best thing to do is research the prices individually. If I'm going to buy a game, I typically check all of the usual suspects - Game Stop, Best Buy, Amazon, Costco, etc. and see who is charging the least.

Thanks. I’ve also gotten some nice deals on slightly older used games with Game Stop for his 3DS.

Do you know will those Phyiscal 3DS cartridges or any Wii games work in the Switch too? Are they compatible?

Reaction Score
Thanks. I’ve also gotten some nice deals on slightly older used games with Game Stop for his 3DS.

Do you know will those Phyiscal 3DS cartridges or any Wii games work in the Switch too? Are they compatible?
They're not compatible. If you pay for online, though, you have access to an ever-growing library of NES games. And there are some Wii-U remakes that you can re-purchase.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom