NIL is going into effect July 1st in 6 States; NOT Connecticut. | The Boneyard

NIL is going into effect July 1st in 6 States; NOT Connecticut.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
NIL (Name, Image and Likeness) allows College Athletes to profit off their own Name, Image and Likeness.

These six States are adopting such legislation on July 1st:
- Arizona
- Alabama
- Florida
- Georgia
- Mississippi
- New Mexico

Nine others have pending Legislation.

AND, besides those fifteen, twelve others have bills in the legislative process. Our neighbors New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island are in that group.

What it means:
Top players (such as Paige and Azzi) can make a basket of money whilst in college. Given that choice, where do we think many of the top players will enroll. With the new relaxed transfer rules, there could even be a current exodus in the very near future.

Connecticut, sitting on the sidelines as per usual, with NOTHING pending in the current legislative session.

IF you are an athlete and choosing a school - there are NOW some states where you are going to be able to capitalize on your NIL and others where you can't.

BIG tiebreaker. States (Connecticut, etc.) that don't do it will be at a distinct competitive disadvantage.

Connecticut - PLEASE - don't get left behind again.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA doesn't change it's policy then taking $$$ will disqualify athletes from any NCAA competition, regardless of what any state law says. And if the NCAA changes it's rules then athletes will be able to earn regardless of state law.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If the NCAA doesn't change it's policy then taking $$$ will disqualify athletes from any NCAA competition, regardless of what any state law says. And if the NCAA changes it's rules then athletes will be able to earn regardless of state law.
Correct. A hodgepodge of individual state rules will not work unless the governing body for college athletes changes its rules. What these individual state laws will hopefully do is put pressure on the NCAA to get it done before college athletes return to campus in the fall.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Well, I dunno - it's a catch-22 - right to work (which NIL is, sort of) makes it a sticky wicket....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, I dunno - it's a catch-22 - right to work (which NIL is, sort of) makes it a sticky wicket....
When an athlete signs a LOI accepting an NCAA scholarship, they agree to abide by the NCAA rules governing eligibility. So yes, college athletes have every right to earn money endorsing products. But as of right now, they would void their scholarship by doing so.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
...as of right now, they would void their scholarship by doing so.
That may well be; but, who would care - maybe just walk as they would now be well able to pay their way.

The NCAA better think carefully!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That may well be; but, who would care - maybe just walk as they would now be well able to pay their way.

The NCAA better think carefully!

Not sure I understand your logic. A player’s NIL has value to a potential sponsor expressly because they play college sports. If they violate the rules governing their scholarship they will lose their scholarship as well as their eligibility to play college sports.

Reaction Score
W

wolfe613

and this is good why? I said it before the most profitable athlete of all-time Tim Tebow said athletes shouldn't be paid, he had every right to get unlimited funds, not everyone is in college for money there are some that actually play for the love of the game

Reaction Score
I am of the opinion that NIL will be nothing but problems for the NCAA and its schools. Realistically, only a handful of top athletes in basketball and football major conferences will benefit from it. I just don't see any demand for NIL products for most all other sports. Is it fair to those athletes who actually go to college to learn and get a degree, rather biding time until they reach the pros?

Reaction Score
I am not arguing the right or wrong of the NIL but it is just another nail in the coffin of “clean” athletics, maybe the final one. The ability of schools ( and alumni), not to mention players, to abuse is going to be off the charts easy. Theoretically, the NIL is fair, no question, but between this and the portal, collegiate sports as we know them are over IMO. It may take a few years, but maybe not even remotely that long.
As I understand it, as long as the school is not directly involved, the athlete will be free to essentially set up their own marketing company with no policing.
A very, very simple and possibly overstated (for effect) scenario, I am going to sell t-shirts with my likeness; it appears there is nothing preventing, say, a well to do fan of me and my school to purchase, oh, 100,000 of them, at say $15 a pop! You do the math.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Basketball. We have what, 15 players per team? We have a player in their third year closing a deal worth .5 mil. The following month there will be a lawsuit from all the players as well as the practice players who played with her the three years that made the deal possible.

The following month members of a local union will be soliciting all the athletes on campus to join the union to get their share.

Total train wreck on the way. But the again. Is anyone really surprised? In today's society if it works it has to be fixed.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Here are SOME relative numbers to muse over:
1621742121782.png

Paige Bueckers has the highest ceiling with more than 475,000 followers on Instagram and more than 25,000 on Twitter. She could be in line for annual earnings of $670,000+.

On the other end of the spectrum is BYU soccer player Mikayla Colohan with far fewer followers. Her potential annual earnings are at just $267.

As an aside, Paige was worth that before ever stepping on the UCONN campus.

Food for thought, indeed!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here are SOME relative numbers to muse over:
View attachment 67571

Paige Bueckers has the highest ceiling with more than 475,000 followers on Instagram and more than 25,000 on Twitter. She could be in line for annual earnings of $670,000+.

On the other end of the spectrum is BYU soccer player Mikayla Colohan with far fewer followers. Her potential annual earnings are at just $267.

As an aside, Paige was worth that before ever stepping on the UCONN campus.

Food for thought, indeed!
The analysis having been done before last season was essentially before Paige earned just about every NPOY award. Note that several of the male athletes listed have moved on to the pros.

I suspect if the same analysis was done today, Paige’s current NIL value might just rival Geno’s new contract value.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no idea the calculation used to come up with the figures in the above table and personally don’t care, but will stand on my assertion that college sports as we know them will be unrecognizable in a very short number of years. Whether that is good or bad is up to individual opinion but obviously the value of a college education has become relatively meaningless in the grand scheme of big time college sports; and I emphasize the grand scheme, certainly for some individuals it will remain very, very important.
As an old schooler, I can only hope that those athletes more concerned with making money than the college experience opt for turning professional rather than further polluting an already largely toxic environment. And for now, I am primarily referring to men’s P5 football and men‘s CBB.
To those seemingly rejoicing in Bueckers Twitter following, just my opinion, but watch what you wish for! On an individual basis, she and any other player certainly deserve all they can get, that is free enterprise, but the effect on college sports is going to be profound.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have no idea the calculation used to come up with the figures in the above table and personally don’t care, but will stand on my assertion that college sports as we know them will be unrecognizable in a very short number of years. Whether that is good or bad is up to individual opinion but obviously the value of a college education has become relatively meaningless in the grand scheme of big time college sports; and I emphasize the grand scheme, certainly for some individuals it will remain very, very important.
As an old schooler, I can only hope that those athletes more concerned with making money than the college experience opt for turning professional rather than further polluting an already largely toxic environment. And for now, I am primarily referring to men’s P5 football and men‘s CBB.
To those seemingly rejoicing in Bueckers Twitter following, just my opinion, but watch what you wish for! On an individual basis, she and any other player certainly deserve all they can get, that is free enterprise, but the effect on college sports is going to be profound.
Your post reminded me of the predictions of doom and gloom that accompanied the decision to allow US Olympic athletes to receive compensation way back in 1978. Somehow the US Olympic movement survived. In fact, it thrived as top pro athletes in basketball and soccer became eligible and hundreds of athletes in sports such as swimming and track&field now earn a living competing in their sport, so they don’t have to give up competition in their prime to get a “real” job.

Will NIL compensation change college sports?
Absolutely!
Will college sports suffer because of those changes?
I seriously doubt it.

Reaction Score
Time will tell, but I suspect the most likely thing is that as more and more states make a move, the NCAA will reluctantly relent and do the same. Not because they want to, but because they feel they have to, because of mounting public criticism and the possibility of numerous costly lawsuits.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
FYI, many of the recently passed state laws on NIL will go into effect on July 1. Prior to that date, on June 23, the NCAA Division I council will meet to consider passing comprehensive NIL compensation rules, “if feasible.”

The NCAA would much prefer that Congress pass legislation first, relieving them of a the responsibility and inevitable criticism that will follow. But it doesn’t look like Congress will get their act together before the NCAA is forced to address NIL.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@Big Mick NIL will be put in place by the the start of the fall sports season by the NCAA. This will make the various state and federal legislation and even the case in front of the US Supreme Court unnecessary. Keep in mind that this was never going to be a State by State solution because a significant portion of NCAA SA (Nika and Aaliyah for example) are not residents of a US state. The NCAA has lost here and the only limitations will be that schools cannot pay the student directly, student athletes cannot use conference or school logos or trademarks materials in personal appearances. The NCAA had sought to limit compensation, limit earnings to the off season, confine appearances to outside of school facilities at least 2 hours before or after a competition. The NCAA lost most of the leverage when Mark Emmert agreed to meet with protesting NCAA basketball players. The three most significant parts about that meeting are: 1) The meeting was requested at the start of the mens NCAA tournament which is the NCAA major source of revenue. 2) The meeting took place in Indianapolis-HQ of the NCAA 3) #NotNCAAProperty was the hashtag the player used to request the meeting.

How does a player like Paige or Azzi convert large social media into these enormous sums of money that is being thrown about in this thread? Unless someone can convince me otherwise, IMO those "potential" earnings are not real and could never be actualized. Let's say Paige could make $300K from her social medial following which is less than half of the number projected. Contrary to what has been written here Paige does not have to be on scholarship to play NCAA basketball- she just needs to be enrolled at UCONN. So let's say from that $300K Paige decides to pay her own tuition and that ~$60K, that would leave nearly 1/4 million dollars, which is > WNBA super max salary.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Exactly; it's not illegal for athletes to make money now, it's against NCAA regs. The NCAA needs to get their tail in gear. What will matter, though, is schools with small fanbases not being able to draw star athletes. Big state schools will have a distinct advantage.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Exactly; it's not illegal for athletes to make money now, it's against NCAA regs. The NCAA needs to get their tail in gear. What will matter, though, is schools with small fanbases not being able to draw star athletes. Big state schools will have a distinct advantage.
There will be opportunities, even at small schools, for team stars to make a few bucks promoting a local restaurant, car dealer, etc. But as you point out, star athletes at big schools will have a distinct advantage.

After the year she just had, there is no telling how much Paige might command with her NIL. Stewie just got her own signature shoe deal with Nike. Is there any reason to believe that Nike would not want to sign Paige, potentially the biggest name in WBB, to her own deal while she’s still in college?

Reaction Score
I said this before and I'll say it again. NIL could have a worst effect on HS sports and recruiting. How? Picture a top HS player being approached and the "suggestion" is made that if he/she signed a letter of intent to attend South West college then a contract for many thousands of dollars would follow. All the player would have to do is show up at a used car lot for a couple of hours, smile, and sign some autographs, once or twice a year. How do you stop this? Does it become a bidding war for HS talent? Is this good? I don't think so. Someone real smart has to work through all of the consequences of NIL. It begs the question, can Paige or Azzi sell some used cars?

Reaction Score
So what is wrong with big schools having the advantage.? Walmart and Amazon have advantages..I bet you shop with them. The Yankees have big advantages. They haven't won a World Series in 11 years. Big advantages don't alays translate into wins but a 6 pack of vitamin water is $6.49 at Publix and $4.45 at Walmart..

Reaction Score
I said this before and I'll say it again. NIL could have a worst effect on HS sports and recruiting. How? Picture a top HS player being approached and the "suggestion" is made that if he/she signed a letter of intent to attend South West college then a contract for many thousands of dollars would follow. All the player would have to do is show up at a used car lot for a couple of hours, smile, and sign some autographs, once or twice a year. How do you stop this? Does it become a bidding war for HS talent? Is this good? I don't think so. Someone real smart has to work through all of the consequences of NIL. It begs the question, can Paige or Azzi sell some used cars?
I think Paige and Azzi will be able to sell new cars!

Reaction Score
There will be opportunities, even at small schools, for team stars to make a few bucks promoting a local restaurant, car dealer, etc. But as you point out, star athletes at big schools will have a distinct advantage.

After the year she just had, there is no telling how much Paige might command with her NIL. Stewie just got her own signature shoe deal with Nike. Is there any reason to believe that Nike would not want to sign Paige, potentially the biggest name in WBB, to her own deal while she’s still in college?
Truth in advertising. I am a conservative capitalistic. What you are speculating is innocent and I support everyone including college kids making a buck. What I'm worried about is that there could be a much darker side to NIL. Will a couple of years from now be know as the "age of the innocent"? I am worried that big donor boosters will swoop in and ruin HS and college sports. Combine 1 free transfer and NIL would would you expect to get? Think the worst. It could happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom