NIL Firepower | The Boneyard

NIL Firepower

Reaction Score
I’ve seen college football players pulling down 7 figure deals and Paige is supposed to be a big earner, but how do we ensure that UConn has commercial firepower to provide endorsement opportunities to attract athletes?

It seems like some athletic departments are organizing these benefits for the teams writ large. Does anyone know if UConn has a plan or does each player just have to hope that local businesses want to get involved? Anyone keeping tabs on the strategy besides Cole and the local walk on player?

It seems like we’ve been waiting for this moment a long time but it may accelerate the arms race.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
First step: Be really good.

Paige is an absolute goldmine and you couldn’t pray for a better advertisement for the earning power of the UConn brand on the women’s side. But she is also a tremendous player, possibly a generational talent.

On the men’s side, Bouk’s prominence has given us current cred and our history is second only to Duke. The mantle is there to inherit for any player with the chops to do it.

Reaction Score
Money comes from boosters which we don’t have. We have to hang our hat on our past NBA factory of producing players to the next level. Selling $13 wristbands are not bringing in the players. With all that said we doing excellent in recruiting with Hurley and the Big East, now let’s get some wins!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn has banned itself, coaches, staff and boosters from assisting players with NIL deals.

Reaction Score

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
UConn has banned itself, coaches, staff and boosters from assisting players with NIL deals.
Wait is this real or a joke? Our athletic department is stupid so I could sadly see this being true...

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Wow, okay yup. It's true, they spell it all out in the doc below. Seems like UConn will always go to every length possible to put themselves at a disadvantage. The fact that they are self-imposing that boosters can't provide NIL opportunities is beyond egregious.

UConn NIL Procedures (PDF) - University of Connecticut Athletics
Very dumb by uconn. Boosters will pay because they want the team to be good. Businesses will only pay if it’s good business (which in most cases it’s not). The general public doesn’t know of these kids.

Reaction Score
c. University Athletic Boosters
1. An athletics booster is a person who directly contributes to a University athletic
program.

2. Athletic Boosters are prohibited from creating or facilitating NIL compensation
opportunities to induce a prospective student-athlete to enroll or attend the
University.

3. Athletic Boosters are prohibited from creating or facilitating NIL compensation
opportunities to induce a current student-athlete remain enrolled at the
University.

Is this banning boosters from participating altogether or just in these two circumstances (inducing to attend or inducing to remain enrolled)?

Reaction Score
1. An athletics booster is a person who directly contributes to a University athletic
program.

2. Athletic Boosters are prohibited from creating or facilitating NIL compensation
University.

3. Athletic Boosters are prohibited from creating or facilitating NIL compensation
University.

Is this banning boosters from participating altogether or just in these two circumstances (inducing to attend or inducing to remain enrolled)?
Not for nothing but isn’t that when u want a booster involved?

Reaction Score
program.

University.

University.

It's the latter as far as I know, which is no different from any other school

Reaction Score
So nothing specifically prevents boosters from participating, but nothing can be offered as inducement to attend or stay a particular school. Wink, wink, nod, nod. Totally unenforceable.

Hard to predict whether this will become an arms race that impacts the competitiveness of certain programs. Easy to predict that no matter how it goes, Kentucky fans aren't worried.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
answer? stop being a 'booster' and just be a nil'er for any athlete that you so choose.
ez pz, too easy.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
I dont think an ‘individual’ would have to stop being a booster, but the ‘individual’ would not be able to contribute to a player where the ‘company’ they own or are involved with would. I am sure there is some gray area there.

Reaction Score
I dont think an ‘individual’ would have to stop being a booster, but the ‘individual’ would not be able to contribute to a player where the ‘company’ they own or are involved with would. I am sure there is some gray area there.
So I might be able to give the school a little money, but only my company could hire Adama to sell a widget? It’s an odd system because who would see the value in these athletes for commercial purposes aside from someone that closely monitors the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom