OT: - NIL Article | The Boneyard

OT: NIL Article

Reaction Score
Apologies if this doesn’t belong on this Board……

Interesting article about the impact of NIL. The general claim is that the best athletes will choose schools that have the most money. Not sure why the wealth of a school matters but I admit that I don’t know the ins and outs of NIL. Maybe someone can enlighten me after reading it.

Reaction Score

Interesting article about the impact of NIL. The general claim is that the best athletes will choose schools that have the most money. Not sure why the wealth of a school matters but I admit that I don’t know the ins and outs of NIL. Maybe someone can enlighten me after reading it.

The schools don't actually pay the players...and he knows that. He's being inflammatory.

Now we have a sport that has completely different salary caps and some of these schools have, whatever, five to 10 times more than everybody else in what they can pay the players. I know nobody uses those phrases, but that is what it is."

They don't use that phrase because...schools do not pay.

I guess some school could influence businesses to make offers or some group of local "boosters", but...again the school is not paying. NIL parameters at present are largely dependent on the State. It's young in its implementation and like anything else it will evolve. NIL is all about marketing riding on the coattail of a well-known person. The marketing can be local or theoretically International depending on the product/service, the athlete of choice and I suppose demographics. Theoretically, schools in large markets probably attract larger corporate interests versus another school in some small rural area where the largest business might be a dairy farmer. Sounds like UCONN, huh.

Reaction Score
Kiffen is not wrong, schools are basically paying the players. I think be fore long the power 5 football teams will become the minor league for the nfl. And just pay the players

Last edited by a moderator:

sun

Reaction Score
It may be possible for a school to sign NIL agreements with students as a way to funnel money to them.
The school could offer to pay them money for using their name or likeness on specific school merchandise.

Reaction Score
The schools don't actually pay the players...and he knows that. He's being inflammatory.

Now we have a sport that has completely different salary caps and some of these schools have, whatever, five to 10 times more than everybody else in what they can pay the players. I know nobody uses those phrases, but that is what it is."

I guess some school could influence businesses to make offers or some group of local "boosters", but...again the school is not paying. NIL parameters at present are largely dependent on the State. It's young in its implementation and like anything else it will evolve. NIL is all about marketing riding on the coattail of a well-known person. The marketing can be local or theoretically International depending on the product/service, the athlete of choice and I suppose demographics. Theoretically, schools in large markets probably attract larger corporate interests versus another school in some small rural area where the largest business might be a dairy farmer. Sounds like UCONN, huh.
Thanks. I guess we can interpret it as “money is influence”. Wealthy schools can tell a recruit that he/she will be a millionaire if they choose them. And, not directly pay them but make sure they get the deals. Seems like this whole thing needs to be regulated nationally ..not by state. On the other hand, Harvard could have a National Football Championship in a very few years.

Reaction Score

For anyone who doesn’t think this is a major issue in big time college sports this might show you it is really a race to provide coaches every advantage in recruiting. The rich are going to get richer.

Reaction Score

Schools don’t but wealthy alums do. Athletes are deciding on schools based on the NIL deal they can secure at school. That’s how the Oklahoma QB ended up at USC. . If I want to watch pro basketball and football I’ll watch the NFL and NBA

Reaction Score
Schools don’t but wealthy alums do. Athletes are deciding on schools based on the NIL deal they can secure at school. That’s how the Oklahoma QB ended up at USC. . If I want to watch pro basketball and football I’ll watch the NFL and NBA
This idea of money influencing recruiting isn't new. The only difference is who gets paid (now the student versus some alum/or god knows who) to influence/make the decision. The other difference is "the deal"...is public and up for "review", scrutiny or whatever you want to call it. In either scenario...the schools hands are...clean. Kiffin is acting as if this is brand new. I think his real problem is...someone has more money than him. Most kids aren't even going to get deals and we've already seen in some sports where you don't need to be "the best".

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Just rephrase what he said to "schools with the most NIL money available" and I get exactly what he is saying. As a perfect example - I doubt Rutgers is so replete with NIL opportunities for its athletes so as to be attractive for that reason.

Because yes, the number of alum and locals - and larger corporations - willing to shell out NIL money is going to vary by school. While that is impacted by state laws and all of it at this point, the bottom line is, for example, NIL money for a star at Georgia, or Michigan or Oregon is likely to be greater than that available to a player at Florida Atlantic, or Green Bay or Nevada. Obviously it varies between the major conference schools, I'm just not savvy enough to figure it out - plus the NIL opportunity for a South Carolina WBB player no doubt trumps an Alabama WBB player - but football?? Other way around, probably.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Someone needs to post Jimbo Fisher's response to Kiffin and this stance on NIL- something about "a clown show" and hypocrite.
Just aired on Sportscenter.

Reaction Score
Where there's smoke there's fire. All of a sudden Texas A&M comes up with the #1 recruiting class and the only thing that has changed is the NIL junk. I would guess the real amount of money being distributed in the only thing TBD.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom