Nikki McCray Penson | The Boneyard

Nikki McCray Penson

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Did anyone in their wildest imagination think she was gonna be this bad?

Like... holy smokes...she's bad. LOL

This is some unfathomable stuff.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Y'all can take our Nikki if you want
I admire your tenacity in this attempt to find any takers. Did you see my Coaching hire thread? I did it have a blurb for you... ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Did anyone in their wildest imagination think she was gonna be this bad?

Like... holy smokes...she's bad. LOL

This is some unfathomable stuff.

I know of an available coach with proven experience in 2 Power Five conferences

Reaction Score
I know of an available coach with proven experience in 2 Power Five conferences
Gail_Goestenkors_Mar-12-2009.jpg

Time to check a 3rd power 5 conference off her list

Reaction Score
She inherited a good team like Joe Moorhead did in football and I think fans had high expectations after having Dan Mullen. Same situation here. MSU had a good team that NMP inherited and maybe they are not taking to her schemes and now they are not as good as anyone expected.

Reaction Score
There is something the Moorhead football hire has in common as McCray Person: both hired by John Cohen as AD. The current Florida AD, Stricklen, hired Mullen and Schafer. Cohen was a head scratcher to me from the start because it seemed like just a quick, easy solution to go with an internal person.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I just don't get the fascination with Gail G. In an earlier time of the evolution of WCBB, she was a very good coach, she left a great situation and was terrible at Texas. In 5 years as Longhorn coach, she finished 4th ONE TIME and that was her only time above .500 in conference play! She then managed to finish 6th twice and 7th twice before resigning and that was 9 years ago. Since then, she's done nothing to stay in the game and be worthy of some many dreamy eyed fan bases. In fact a few astute programs even specifically said, "we have not interest in Gail".

Just like the old lawyer axiom, "anyone who represents themselves has a fool of a client", same goes for those fans who want Gail G as their coach, they are fooling themselves.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Mississippi State board is in attack mode. The McCray haters have surpassed the McCray defenders.

Our twitter page had to disable comments from its users...... LOL.

Reaction Score
Our twitter page had to disable comments from its users...... LOL.
If it makes you feel better, LSU has a social media person assigned literally to remove negative comments of Nikki Fargas on the FB and twitter page. She gets a lot of them.

I guess its tough look for recruits when the entire comment section is calling for the HC to be fired. Although, it shouldn't matter at this point, she didn't recruit regardless lol

Reaction Score
I just don't get the fascination with Gail G. In an earlier time of the evolution of WCBB, she was a very good coach, she left a great situation and was terrible at Texas. In 5 years as Longhorn coach, she finished 4th ONE TIME and that was her only time above .500 in conference play! She then managed to finish 6th twice and 7th twice before resigning and that was 9 years ago. Since then, she's done nothing to stay in the game and be worthy of some many dreamy eyed fan bases. In fact a few astute programs even specifically said, "we have not interest in Gail".

Just like the old lawyer axiom, "anyone who represents themselves has a fool of a client", same goes for those fans who want Gail G as their coach, they are fooling themselves.
There’s a long backstory on Texas. Not entirely her fault.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
If it makes you feel better, LSU has a social media person assigned literally to remove negative comments of Nikki Fargas on the FB and twitter page. She gets a lot of them.

I guess its tough look for recruits when the entire comment section is calling for the HC to be fired. Although, it shouldn't matter at this point, she didn't recruit regardless lol

If it makes you feel any better, at least LSU Is going to beat State for the first time in what feels like forever. :)

Reaction Score
Today was a rough game to watch, especially with the team starting off shooting 1 of 13 from the field despite getting some pretty good looks at the basket. Jackson and Carter were a combined 12 of 31 from the field, and the two bigs coming off the bench--Cooks and Morris--were only 3 of 10. Then it doesn't help when the team only hits 8 of 17 free throws. Maybe the bench players should have gotten more time but they were a combined 4 of 13 so there wasn't a hot hand to be found there. Maybe it was a coaching problem, or a lack of recent games problem, or a lack of caring problem, or something else. At this point in the season it seems like everyone has made up their mind on where the problem lies.

Reaction Score

I disagree-

@CamrnCrz1974 can shed some light on this.

I think Duke pushed her out the door so she went to Texas, which was not the smartest job for her to take. Texas needs someone "Texas," and Gail just isn't Texas. Gail, IMO, belongs on the east coast at a University that's very strong academically. She knows how to recruit kids that are both academically and athletically gifted. Her teams at Duke, whether you liked them or not, played some beautiful basketball. They should've won it all in 2006 and what she did in 2007 was great, even thought they lost to Rutgers in the E8

Georgetown, Virginia, or places similar, would be great jobs for her.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I disagree-

I think Duke pushed her out the door so she went to Texas, which was not the smartest job for her to take. Texas needs someone "Texas," and Gail just isn't Texas. Gail, IMO, belongs on the east coast at a University that's very strong academically. She knows how to recruit kids that are both academically and athletically gifted. Her teams at Duke, whether you liked them or not, played some beautiful basketball. They should've won it all in 2006 and what she did in 2007 was great, even thought they lost to Rutgers in the E8

Duly noted. So let’s agree to disagree. Gail was able to sign on to Central Michigan this year as an assistant coach and put in the work and preparation that is needed to show any elite programs she is ready again to coach successfully. Whether or not she is able to is really the question.
My last comment is the “Texas recruiting conspiracy” that keeps getting trotted out about her failure at Texas. I do believe she struggled to connect on some level with some youth programs but to say that WAS the reason for failure is simply not true. I heard the story of the offended former assistant at Texas who “poisoned” Gail and that was debunked myth and if anything as a minor effort. Simply put, sometimes coaches can’t replicate success at other programs. Let’s see CMU have success first and then I might be open to thinking Gail will make an effective comeback.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I disagree-

I think Duke pushed her out the door so she went to Texas, which was not the smartest job for her to take. Texas needs someone "Texas," and Gail just isn't Texas.
It has been a long time and I can't remember all that went down...but if Duke DID push to get GG replaced, that was just a stupid, asinine short-sighted move. Why fix something that wasn't broken?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I disagree-

I would absolutely LOVE to see her in the Big East. I think Georgetown is unlikely, but it would be awesome for the conference.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Duly noted. So let’s agree to disagree. Gail was able to sign on to Central Michigan this year as an assistant coach and put in the work and preparation that is needed to show any elite programs she is ready again to coach successfully. Whether or not she is able to is really the question.
My last comment is the “Texas recruiting conspiracy” that keeps getting trotted out about her failure at Texas. I do believe she struggled to connect on some level with some youth programs but to say that WAS the reason for failure is simply not true. I heard the story of the offended former assistant at Texas who “poisoned” Gail and that was debunked myth and if anything as a minor effort. Simply put, sometimes coaches can’t replicate success at other programs. Let’s see CMU have success first and then I might be open to thinking Gail will make an effective comeback.
You need to remember how beloved Jody Conradt was. She was a warm, outgoing person who loved to chat and connect with people. GG is very East Coast, a bit standoffish and formal. In other words, not Texas. She had a hard time connecting with people there.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

After her time at Texas, she spent two years as a WNBA assistant coach and has done high-end consulting and program evaluation for college coaches before joining Central Michigan.

This is not quite accurate, because it ignores the actions of AD Chris Plonsky and former Assistant Coach Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil.

In very short summary, Plonsky told Goestenkors not to keep any of the Texas assistant coaches, so she did not (and brought some of her own people). Davis-Wrightsil was outraged and essentially trashed Texas and Coach G to all of her connections in the Texas high school basketball scene -- and believe me, Davis-Wrightsi's network and contacts were extensive.

Gail's contacts were with AAU coaches, which worked very well in her recruiting strongholds - DC/MD/VA and NY/NJ/PA. In Texas, the high school/local coaches are the ones with the power and the sway, so to speak.

Gail did not have the right contacts for Texas, but the actions of Plonsky and Davis-Wrightsil all but guaranteed that Texas would not be getting the top-tier in-state recruits during her tenure.

I would argue Goestenkors' biggest mistake was a different one. Duke sold itself, because Goestenkors BUILT it to sell itself. But Goestenkors also failed to realize how the Duke brand and the combination of athletics, academics, alumni network, etc. played a part in her recruiting strategy. And when a recruit came for a visit, Duke had the ability to bring in Coach K for a quick meeting (which he did, for example, with Krystal Thomas who committed to Goestenkors when she was at Duke, but who played for McCallie).

Whereas Joanne P. McCallie overestimated how much Duke (and the Duke brand) sold itself, Goestenkors underestimated it, in terms of making the final pitches to recruits.

Goestenkors was never able to make the Texas brand work for her. She was from MI, had been an assistant at Purdue (IN), and had been the head coach at Duke (NC). And I think she thought all of the work she put in at Duke would transfer over to Texas; instead, as an outsider, she had to start, in many ways, from scratch, like she did in her early days at Duke. I believe that was where the fatigue and exhaustion had set in.

It has been a long time and I can't remember all that went down...but if Duke DID push to get GG replaced, that was just a stupid, asinine short-sighted move. Why fix something that wasn't broken?

Goestenkors was not running "toward" Texas; she was running "away" from Duke. My honest believe is the statements from then-AD Joe Alleva were the deciding factor in her decision to leave. I am repeating the comments here:

Compared to the top tier of coaches in the women's game, however, Goestenkors' salary does not stack up. Tennessee's Pat Summitt is the highest-paid coach in women's college basketball at an average of $1.125 million guaranteed over six seasons, and Geno Auriemma's contract with Connecticut guarantees him $988,000 per year.
[Coach G made less than $500,000 at the time]

"They've both won a lot of national championships and are part of programs that make money for their institutions. They bring in profit for their athletic departments, and that's not the case for our women's program," Alleva said. "I'm sure some of these other institutions will offer significantly large packages to encourage her to go.

I firmly believe that Goestenkors was not running toward Texas, but running away from Duke. She felt disrespected and devalued -- and rightfully so. But I also believe that without those statements from then-AD Joe Alleva, she would have taken more time to evaluate her decision and would have chosen to stay at Duke.

@Vowelguy , @ucbart , @EricLA

Reaction Score
Davis-Wrightsil was outraged and essentially trashed Texas and Coach G to all of her connections in the Texas high school basketball scene -- and believe me, Davis-Wrightsi's network and contacts were extensive.

I will add that Davis-Wrightsil punched a player in the face AT AN ALL-STAR GAME. Not someone you want to cross.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom