Nike Hoop Summit Women's World Team Missed Opportunity? | The Boneyard

Nike Hoop Summit Women's World Team Missed Opportunity?

Reaction Score

The Nike Hoop Summit event will include a women's game for the first time this year. The event that will be played on April 8 in Portland OR, started in 1995 and is held annually, except between 2001-2003 and between 2020-2022 this time because of the covid-19, the record is 16-7 in favor of the Americans.

The selection of the American women's team was announced on February 14, the players chosen are exclusively from the 2023 class. The event is announced as U19, so it could have included some players who played in the NCAA this year, such as Cotie McMahon, Kiki Rice and many others, but this is not the case, players from the 2024 class were also ignored, which will probably not be the same for the next selection for the future U19 World Championship to be held next July in Spain.

The world team selection was announced late on March 24. I am a Huskies fan, however during the warm season I like to follow the various continental and world age group championships. When I saw the selection, I was disappointed. There were several names that I would have liked to see and they were not there. I did a little research and among the players chosen, none of them were part of one of the all-star teams in the different championships they participated in last summer. There are three players who will represent Canada, I would have liked to see Cassandre Prosper, but it is possible that Canada having seen the American selection abstained, given that she played her second half of the season with Notre Dame. Canada did send three players who were part of the team's starting lineup at last year's U17 World Championship. The official website of the event is attached. Here is a list of 8 names that I would have liked to see:

Jana El Alfy (Egypt) 6'4'' Foward: 17 years old, 20/09/2005, as a Huskies fan of course, but not only for that. Last summer she participated in two championships, she was chosen MVP of the African U18 championship, at the World U17 championship she averaged 16.4 PPG and 11 RPG.

Awa Fam Thiam (Spain) 6'4'' Power Foward: 16 years old, 17/06/2006, last summer she participated in two championships, she was chosen on the all-star team of the European U16 championship and she was the second best player of the Spanish U17 team at the world championship, 10.7 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 2.6 APG, her efficiency statistic was the 4th best of the tournament.

Juste Jocyte (Lithuania) 6'2'' Guard: 17 years old, 19/11/2005, last summer she participated in the European U18 championship where she was chosen MVP with 19.1 PPG, 7.1 RPG and 6.9 APG, she was of age to participate in the U17 world championship but Lithuania didn't manage to place there the year before.

Isla Juffermans (Australia) 6'4'' Post: 17 years old, 18/04/2005, last summer she participated in three championships, it is worth mentioning that for the Asia/Oceania zone, the U16 championship which was supposed to take place in 2021 has been postponed to 2022 because of the covid-19. She was chosen MVP of the U16 and U18 Asia/Oceania championships; at the U17 world championship she got 12.6 PPG, 10.6 RPG and 1.9 APG.

Kateryna Koval (Ukraine) 6'5'' Post: 17 years old, 13/01/2006, she participated last summer in the World 3X3 Championship. Ukraine had failed to place in 2021 at the U16 championship in order to participate in the U17 world championship last summer. In 2021 Europe proceeded to the U16 championship with three challenger tournaments, including 6 teams per group because of covid-19, there are usually 16 teams that are present at the European A championship, but for this year, since the previous year everything was stopped because of the pandemic and in Europe the last two teams of the A Championship are relegated to the B Championship the following year and vice versa for the B Championship, they proceeded in this way, the first two of the three challenger tournaments won a participation in the U17 World Championship the following year. In the 2021 competition, Koval scored 26 PPG, 14.2 RPG and 3 BPG. There was no all-star team, but she was mentioned as one of the top 8 players. She has been playing for Long Island Lutheran NY for the past two seasons, she was chosen this year as New York Gaterade Player of the year.

Dominique Malonga (France) 6'6'' Center: 17 years old, 16/11/2005, she participated last summer to the U17 world championship, chosen on the all-star team, 18 PPG, 10 RPG. First in FG%, 2nd in points scored, 4th in rebounds and 1st in efficiency stat.

Iyana Martin Carrion (Spain) 5'8'' Point Guard: 17 years old, 18/01/2006, she participated last summer in two championships, chosen MVP of the European U16 championship, she was also selected on the U17 World All-Star team, 13.4 PPG, 6.1 APG (1st of the U17 tournament)

Annika Soltau (Germany) 6'4'' Small Forward : 18 years old, 25/03/2005, she participated last summer to the U17 world championship, where she finished first for points scored, 20.3 PPG, 8.5 RPG and 2 APG.

The US team roster is made up of 11 out of 13 players born in 2005, the other two are born in 2004, Aalyah Del Rosario and Ashlyn Shade. The players listed are in the same age range. With Sue Phillips as the US team head coach, I feel that the defense employed will be one of full court press, I am afraid that with the current selection of the world team, it will be stifled and the final result will be very uneven. Missed opportunity, yet the showcase is beautiful for those born in 2004 and not playing in the United States, they would be eligible for the next WNBA draft, as they will be 20 years old in the year following the draft, which is the rule for international players. With the suggested list, we can only hope they show up next year.

Translated with DeepL

Reaction Score
Jana obviously was not an option anymore. I agree with the extreme weakness of this World roster though.

Here was my wishlist of 2004 and 2005 born players:

Some of my list was understandable in terms of being unavailable as Fam and Malonga have been injured and Borlase also seems unavailable. Jocyte, Buenavide, Villa, Lacan, Haidara, Etute, Carla Leite, who would have made my list if I had made it later, and Martin from your list are probably too important to their club teams to want to participate. Soltau I am not sure about in terms of club availability. Aarnisalo and Sivka definitely had nothing better to do so it is disappointing if they were not considered or did not feel that it was worth their time. There are a few other 2006 born players who would be interesting. That they are allowing 2003 born players this year does make it seem like next year's group could be fun with the Australian trio of Borlase, Puoch, and Loughridge joining younger players like Fournier and Koval.

Reaction Score
Jana obviously was not an option anymore. I agree with the extreme weakness of this World roster though.

Here was my wishlist of 2004 and 2005 born players:

Some of my list was understandable in terms of being unavailable as Fam and Malonga have been injured and Borlase also seems unavailable. Jocyte, Buenavide, Villa, Lacan, Haidara, Etute, Carla Leite, who would have made my list if I had made it later, and Martin from your list are probably too important to their club teams to want to participate. Soltau I am not sure about in terms of club availability. Aarnisalo and Sivka definitely had nothing better to do so it is disappointing if they were not considered or did not feel that it was worth their time. There are a few other 2006 born players who would be interesting. That they are allowing 2003 born players this year does make it seem like next year's group could be fun with the Australian trio of Borlase, Puoch, and Loughridge joining younger players like Fournier and Koval.
Do you have any idea if this game is on tv or being streamed anywhere? And I've read that Okot is signed by a Zetech U. in Kenya. Any info on this?

Reaction Score
Do you have any idea if this game is on tv or being streamed anywhere? And I've read that Okot is signed by a Zetech U. in Kenya. Any info on this?
Have not seen anything official yet. The last men's one was streaming only.

Okot was playing for a non-school affiliated club. I am not sure what her current situation is, but will look.

Reaction Score

The Nike Hoop Summit event will include a women's game for the first time this year. The event that will be played on April 8 in Portland OR, started in 1995 and is held annually, except between 2001-2003 and between 2020-2022 this time because of the covid-19, the record is 16-7 in favor of the Americans.

The selection of the American women's team was announced on February 14, the players chosen are exclusively from the 2023 class. The event is announced as U19, so it could have included some players who played in the NCAA this year, such as Cotie McMahon, Kiki Rice and many others, but this is not the case, players from the 2024 class were also ignored, which will probably not be the same for the next selection for the future U19 World Championship to be held next July in Spain.

The world team selection was announced late on March 24. I am a Huskies fan, however during the warm season I like to follow the various continental and world age group championships. When I saw the selection, I was disappointed. There were several names that I would have liked to see and they were not there. I did a little research and among the players chosen, none of them were part of one of the all-star teams in the different championships they participated in last summer. There are three players who will represent Canada, I would have liked to see Cassandre Prosper, but it is possible that Canada having seen the American selection abstained, given that she played her second half of the season with Notre Dame. Canada did send three players who were part of the team's starting lineup at last year's U17 World Championship. The official website of the event is attached. Here is a list of 8 names that I would have liked to see:

Jana El Alfy (Egypt) 6'4'' Foward: 17 years old, 20/09/2005, as a Huskies fan of course, but not only for that. Last summer she participated in two championships, she was chosen MVP of the African U18 championship, at the World U17 championship she averaged 16.4 PPG and 11 RPG.

Awa Fam Thiam (Spain) 6'4'' Power Foward: 16 years old, 17/06/2006, last summer she participated in two championships, she was chosen on the all-star team of the European U16 championship and she was the second best player of the Spanish U17 team at the world championship, 10.7 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 2.6 APG, her efficiency statistic was the 4th best of the tournament.

Juste Jocyte (Lithuania) 6'2'' Guard: 17 years old, 19/11/2005, last summer she participated in the European U18 championship where she was chosen MVP with 19.1 PPG, 7.1 RPG and 6.9 APG, she was of age to participate in the U17 world championship but Lithuania didn't manage to place there the year before.

Isla Juffermans (Australia) 6'4'' Post: 17 years old, 18/04/2005, last summer she participated in three championships, it is worth mentioning that for the Asia/Oceania zone, the U16 championship which was supposed to take place in 2021 has been postponed to 2022 because of the covid-19. She was chosen MVP of the U16 and U18 Asia/Oceania championships; at the U17 world championship she got 12.6 PPG, 10.6 RPG and 1.9 APG.

Kateryna Koval (Ukraine) 6'5'' Post: 17 years old, 13/01/2006, she participated last summer in the World 3X3 Championship. Ukraine had failed to place in 2021 at the U16 championship in order to participate in the U17 world championship last summer. In 2021 Europe proceeded to the U16 championship with three challenger tournaments, including 6 teams per group because of covid-19, there are usually 16 teams that are present at the European A championship, but for this year, since the previous year everything was stopped because of the pandemic and in Europe the last two teams of the A Championship are relegated to the B Championship the following year and vice versa for the B Championship, they proceeded in this way, the first two of the three challenger tournaments won a participation in the U17 World Championship the following year. In the 2021 competition, Koval scored 26 PPG, 14.2 RPG and 3 BPG. There was no all-star team, but she was mentioned as one of the top 8 players. She has been playing for Long Island Lutheran NY for the past two seasons, she was chosen this year as New York Gaterade Player of the year.

Dominique Malonga (France) 6'6'' Center: 17 years old, 16/11/2005, she participated last summer to the U17 world championship, chosen on the all-star team, 18 PPG, 10 RPG. First in FG%, 2nd in points scored, 4th in rebounds and 1st in efficiency stat.

Iyana Martin Carrion (Spain) 5'8'' Point Guard: 17 years old, 18/01/2006, she participated last summer in two championships, chosen MVP of the European U16 championship, she was also selected on the U17 World All-Star team, 13.4 PPG, 6.1 APG (1st of the U17 tournament)

Annika Soltau (Germany) 6'4'' Small Forward : 18 years old, 25/03/2005, she participated last summer to the U17 world championship, where she finished first for points scored, 20.3 PPG, 8.5 RPG and 2 APG.

The US team roster is made up of 11 out of 13 players born in 2005, the other two are born in 2004, Aalyah Del Rosario and Ashlyn Shade. The players listed are in the same age range. With Sue Phillips as the US team head coach, I feel that the defense employed will be one of full court press, I am afraid that with the current selection of the world team, it will be stifled and the final result will be very uneven. Missed opportunity, yet the showcase is beautiful for those born in 2004 and not playing in the United States, they would be eligible for the next WNBA draft, as they will be 20 years old in the year following the draft, which is the rule for international players. With the suggested list, we can only hope they show up next year.

Translated with DeepL
Doubt that Canada Basketball had any choice in whether Prosper attended. Classes are still in session and the three attending, Delaney Gibb, Syla Swords and Toby Fournier will definitely represent our country well.

Reaction Score
Have not seen anything official yet. The last men's one was streaming only.

Okot was playing for a non-school affiliated club. I am not sure what her current situation is, but will look.
I don't know how it relates to her eligibility in the US but Zetech is definitely a university.

Huge boost for Zetech as Okot joins the students from KPA

Reaction Score
I don't know how it relates to her eligibility in the US but Zetech is definitely a university.

Huge boost for Zetech as Okot joins the students from KPA

It looks like a club team in Kenya's main league so probably no effect. If she is a student there too that could change things, but it is not an intercollegiate competition. It is not unusual for universities around the world to sponsor teams that include or solely consist of non-students. Australia has had times where at least half of the teams have university sponsors (Sydney University, University of Canberra, James Cook University for Townsville, and Deakin University for Melbourne).

Reaction Score
Thanks to all of you who are more knowledgeable about foreign leagues and players for updating us with information we would not find easily on our own. I dig into the FIBA site occasionally, but you are providing us on the Boneyard with info that has become so much more relevant with so many more foreign players on US rosters, and of course with our Huskies.

Reaction Score
Two thoughts:
-Koval at times does not appear to be as athletic as some but is a hard worker and seems committed to expanding her skills, getting better each year on both offense and defense. Has been getting stronger. Would love to see her on UConn - a future starter with upside.

Re: Isla Juffermans, I used to frequently do business in Australia and got interested in their women's basketball program. While I don't have any firsthand knowledge of Isla, women tended to play a more physical game than in Europe. The bigs were beginning to move out and shoot 3's, but traditionally they used their height to bang under the boards and played strong defense. Fundamentally, they were true 4's and 5's, not tall wings. If this applies to Isla, would love to see Geno invite her to Storrs.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A reminder that game will be on tonight at 7:30 eastern and seemingly replayed about an hour after it ends on NBA TV.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom