Nike and coaches | The Boneyard

Nike and coaches

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So listening to Geno and Kelly talking about getting to know each other a bit at Nike coaching gatherings (something I didn't know Nike organized) and how they refer to being part of the Nike 'family' or at least close acquaintances as Geno termed the Uconn relationship got me wondering ...

How much influence do you think Nike has now on college schedules, and do you think they intend to try and extend that influence in the future? (I do not have an answer, just curious)

It has been a progression that they and other sports companies have used in amateur athletics for years. will it extend to college level? They are holding a college tournament next year and one suspects all the participants are Nike schools.

There is of course an indirect influence at play in the coaching gatherings - Geno taking a call from Kelly back in the Gonzaga days or early at Oregon would be more likely to result in Uconn agreeing to a home and home than taking a call from a comparable coach/program that he had not spent time getting to know.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So listening to Geno and Kelly talking about getting to know each other a bit at Nike coaching gatherings (something I didn't know Nike organized) and how they refer to being part of the Nike 'family' or at least close acquaintances as Geno termed the Uconn relationship got me wondering ...

How much influence do you think Nike has now on college schedules, and do you think they intend to try and extend that influence in the future? (I do not have an answer, just curious)

It has been a progression that they and other sports companies have used in amateur athletics for years. will it extend to college level? They are holding a college tournament next year and one suspects all the participants are Nike schools.

There is of course an indirect influence at play in the coaching gatherings - Geno taking a call from Kelly back in the Gonzaga days or early at Oregon would be more likely to result in Uconn agreeing to a home and home than taking a call from a comparable coach/program that he had not spent time getting to know.
From my understanding of college basketball scheduling (a friend of a friend) and other college sports (4 close friends are head coaches), the non conference games are up to the coach given his travel budget and to be within NCAA guidelines of said sport (don't even ask). The limitation on "Nike only" schools is the NCAA has to approve the tournament/get together to be fair and equitable for all teams. Schools are allowed to align themselves with whomever from a apparel perspective for defined years (Nike, UnderArmor, Adidas etc) and those companies have tiers of support based on the revenue model. UConn would get more than Fairfield as a Nike school but less than Tenn (if Tenn was a Nike school). It's based on conference, exposure, success etc.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
From my understanding of college basketball scheduling (a friend of a friend) and other college sports (4 close friends are head coaches), the non conference games are up to the coach given his travel budget and to be within NCAA guidelines of said sport (don't even ask). The limitation on "Nike only" schools is the NCAA has to approve the tournament/get together to be fair and equitable for all teams. Schools are allowed to align themselves with whomever from a apparel perspective for defined years (Nike, UnderArmor, Adidas etc) and those companies have tiers of support based on the revenue model. UConn would get more than Fairfield as a Nike school but less than Tenn (if Tenn was a Nike school). It's based on conference, exposure, success etc.
Uconn is actually a top level school I think based on both men's and women's basketball success and not necessarily revenue. Uconn gets all the new stuff first and special edition stuff as well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Uconn is actually a top level school I think based on both men's and women's basketball success and not necessarily revenue. Uconn gets all the new stuff first and special edition stuff as well.
Actually, UConn is second tier due to football. They are the top of the 2nd tier but still second tier. Don't under estimate football T-shirts and hats. Plus cleats!

We, here in the Northeast tend to be too "UConn hoop focused" and while other UConn sports are very good, Football and Basketball pay the bills. As Vowelguy has rightfully noted the power 5 exert significant revenue and clout in demonstrating their apparel affiliation that UConn can't match.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom