Nika has grown up! | The Boneyard

Nika has grown up!

Reaction Score
Since her return from injury, I see strong evidence that Nika has really matured as a basketball player. After a somewhat understandable 4 fouls in short minutes in her return against Creighton, in the past five games she has only fouled once or twice per game in ever-increasing minutes. And she seems to not be complaining like she used to, she seems to finally grasp what a foul is in US college basketball. I even saw her raise her hand immediately after fouling in the Seton Hall game, an action that was unimaginable just a few short weeks ago! I remember Geno saying she was uncoachable.

Reaction Score
Will never be the best player on the team, but she is my favorite (until Paige comes back) and she is a lot of fun to watch. Go Nika! Somebody got more energy?
Paige isn’t on the team ?

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
One of the benefits of the injury plague is that Nika and Caroline have had ample opportunity to smooth out some rough spots in their games. If Nika had a consistent outside shot or could develop any midrange game, she becomes a valuable asset for the next two years. Teams will continue to entice let to shoot and focus on others.

Nika always seemed to go 100 miles an hour trying to get as much done in her limited minutes as possible.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
One thing that has really impressed me about Nika is her rebounding. She often goes in with the trees and comes out with the ball. She is also frequently johnny-on-the-spot with picking up tipped rebounds or other loose balls.

And, she was always a good passer but she has really shined in that area since being back.

Reaction Score
One thing that has really impressed me about Nika is her rebounding. She often goes in with the trees and comes out with the ball. She is also frequently johnny-on-the-spot with picking up tipped rebounds or other loose balls.

And, she was always a good passer but she has really shined in that area since being back.
Plus she always pushes the ball immediately after the rebound. Energizer bunny

Reaction Score
My favorite thing I saw on this broadcast was during pregame warmups. They showed NIka warming up on the floor and someone near her must have said something she didn't like as she shot a look to her left that scared me in my living room! :D

Reaction Score
She is total intensity but she needs to prove herself against top teams and in big time games.

Reaction Score
My favorite thing I saw on this broadcast was during pregame warmups. They showed NIka warming up on the floor and someone near her must have said something she didn't like as she shot a look to her left that scared me in my living room! :D
Yes, and she was doing knee to chest stretches with her hand over her knee.
The hand should always be behind the knee.
Where is their trainer?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I even saw Nika go help up a defender she helped put down. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Will never be the best player on the team, but she is my favorite (until Paige comes back) and she is a lot of fun to watch. Go Nika! Somebody got more energy?
I agree.
Gabby wasn’t the best either, but way my favorite.

Reaction Score
Geno said recently that other players think that they are the voice of the team, but they aren't. Nika is. That includes the seniors. She actually shot a pull up jump shot against St. John's that went in. So, she raised her hand after a foul, an act of admission, she helped another player up that she knocked down, and she shot a short range jump shot. It's clearly an alien clone. Whoever it is, she is getting better and better each game.

Reaction Score
In terms of rebounds, I haven't noticed as much this season but last season I saw it all the time, she would back a player (often taller) out of the paint to clear the area a bit for one of her taller teammates to grab a Oreb. I wonder if she will get even more aggressive hounding the opposing point as they cross half court once they have some guard depth back ( could be tempered a bit knowing she has to be on the court pretty much the whole game right now). She probably still doesn't think she actually fouled anybody but knew the ref was going to call it on her so figured she might as well claim it!

Reaction Score
NIka is starting to look like the player she
was on her Croatia FIBA (etc) films: rebounding
against the height of the opposition and rapid
movement downcourt after her defensive
rebound. .... But now it is occuring against better competition. See some of her old Croatian Highlights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom