Nika buzzer beater!!! | The Boneyard

Nika buzzer beater!!!

Reaction Score
Channeling Caitlin's Logo 3! Many strange things happened. It took Azzi a million shots to score 22. Aaliyah scored 19 while sitting for much of the game. Caroline took a bop to the head again and staggered like Michael Spinks meeting Mike Tyson's left hand (she seems OK, Spinks not so much), great interior passes from Nika, steady Dorka and Lou. Ines came in just in time for the game to end and received congratulations from her teammates (huh?). Yana wasn't in long enough to continue her scoring rampage. What's not to like?

Reaction Score
I mentioned in another thread that Hana, Nika's little sister just an hour before made a similar half court buzzer beater to end Ball States half. Kinda like deja vu.
Serendipity or synchronicity? I always get the two confused.

Ironically some posters here have noticed that UConn does a poor job of closing out their quarters scoring with little time left on the clock. This just made up for all of that!

Finally I'll just point out that it seems like Nika has been practicing that shot. While a very difficult shot, it looks like she was in very good form when she took it and made it.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Other than the ball going in the basket and the crowd going bonkers, here are some other fascinating things to watch in this video clip:

1. Bella Fontleroy, who slips back-peddling ahead of Nika, simply turns and watches the shot go in while sitting on her rump. Only after the ball goes through the net does she immediately pick herself up;
2. None of the Baylor players on the floor give any sign of incredulity or exasperation when the shot goes in, but rather simply continue to walk towards the locker room. One player on the Baylor bench starts to stand up, but quickly sits back down when, presumably, she realizes none of her teammates are getting up.
3. Geno watches the whole play unfold with his hands on his hips. His posture remains the same even after the shot goes in. It appears he is simply watching Nika's reaction.
4. CD doesn't get up, and probably doesn't even see the shot being taken. In the ensuing bedlam, she simply gathers up her things as a prelude to going to the locker room.
5. Morgan Valley is the only coach who displays any positive acknowledgement, with just a single fist pump from her left arm.
6. Paige is on her feet the split-second Aubrey grabs the rebound. The team follows Paige's lead.
7. Even before Paige is on her feet, there is a gentleman in a white sweater behind the UConn bench who stands up as Aubrey is in the air grabbing the rebound. He starts jumping up and down the moment Nika releases the shot. It's like he just knows what is about to happen and can't contain himself.

What a great clip! It's magical! It's Madness!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I couldn’t help but notice the contrast between Nika’s comment about her shot and Caitlin Clark’s comment about her buzzer beater to defeat IN a few weeks back. After the game, Nika was self-deprecating saying, “I just threw it up. It was all luck.” Clark, one of the best shooters I’ve ever seen, said of her game winner, “I knew it was going in.”

Reaction Score
My sample is probably too small. But I watch UConn a lot. I think I notice a general difference in the way UConn players look and the way other teams players sometimes look. I put it in positive terms. UConn players don't seem to take their sucesses as earning them... "star-power," or "status," or any kind of personal identity boost. They seem just to enjoy it. An example: Lou's smile after her late 3... Azzi when a shot goes in. UConn players seem glad and... can I say it... humble. Picture Lou again. Like they can't believe their luck.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nika's 3 at the end of the half was the dagger that changed the complexion of the game. Huge boost for the team. We saw the results in the second half.
I thought that too. But remember that Baylor tied the game half way through the 3rd qtr, which is just about when the Azzi & Aubrey show started, blowing the game open for the Huskies.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Amazing that this could be done even if Aubrey and Nika were the only two players on the floor.

Aubrey secures the rebound under the hoop with 4.0 seconds left and gets it to Nika with 2.9 left, around the foul line extended. Three dribbles covering at least 40 feet while slicing through two defenders, leaving one of them sitting on the floor (btw, was there a little bump or reach in there from Bickle?), elevates while still moving forward at around 0.7, shot is out of her hands at 0.4.

Very few other players would have even tried. You have to be lightening quick out of the blocks to pull that one off. Aubrey did a great job with the quick outlet, giving her the ball in good position.

Huge momentum swing as although we had a great second quarter, Baylor had scored the prior six points, and the miss by Andrews and make by Muhl was a five point swing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom