Niels Giffey - Visits Storrs | The Boneyard

Niels Giffey - Visits Storrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doesn't look very" athletic." Our recruiting is a disaster since Bunkey left.
He is not very big maybe the weight room might help.
He will never get a rebound at our level maybe a Lower Mid Major
Look at the awful form on his shot.,even if he managed to ever get it off.
We're doomed in this conference

Reaction Score
Top favorite 3 in my personal Husky list.
His made three from the left corner against Iowa State late, his 2 made threes late against Kentucky, and his two defenses on that ball-headed guy on Kentucky late are 5 of my favorite moments as a Husky fan. When he hit the three after his defender (young?) slagged off him, and Kerr said something like, "Calipari can't believe that because Giffey is specifically out there to shoot the three," I figured we had them beat.

Reaction Score
Definitely makes my list of Husky unsung heroes. I know we all sing his praises but to the outside viewer he was a role player at best

Makes me so sad that pipeline to Germany has closed up, get us some of zee Germans KO!!!
To be fair, Niels was the only one that was successful here. Leon transferred after riding the bench for a few years, and Wolf left under very poor circumstances. Then again, after getting booted Wolf was talked up more than any other recent Husky who averaged like 2ps and 2 reb

Reaction Score
I really thought he had a chance last year if an nba team took a flyer on him. Didn't seem like the teams he played on in summer league really gave him a fair shot, I'm hoping he improved enough in his year in germany (ie ball handling) to get another shot in the summer league and really impress a team. I didn't watch any of his euro games though, so I got no clue what improvements he may have made.

Reaction Score
I really thought he had a chance last year if an nba team took a flyer on him. Didn't seem like the teams he played on in summer league really gave him a fair shot, I'm hoping he improved enough in his year in germany (ie ball handling) to get another shot in the summer league and really impress a team. I didn't watch any of his euro games though, so I got no clue what improvements he may have made.

I'm with you, i thought he was a lock to be a solid role player in the NBA. Great jump shot can put the ball on the floor and drive and dish. Puts in work on the boards and plays solid defense. Would be nice to see someone give him some summer league burn and get him signed to a team.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Mr. Clutch. When you least expected it. One of my favorites also. Well there is a list of Husky's. He rarely started but didn't he get the call late in the season and the tournament? His shot was so smooth. You can see the concentration in his eyes. Very disciplined. Never heard a complaint about his role. There was a video posted of him playing in Europe in here last summer I think. Of course it showed one of him burying a three.

Reaction Score
Niels went from 32% to 48% on 3s during his UConn career. He may have lacked elite speed and athleticism, but those are Buddy Hield-Like improvements. Absolute stud for us. Maybe one of the best glue guys we've ever had. Will always have a special place in my constantly beating and bleeding blue heart.

Reaction Score
Kid was not a slouch athletically. Made several very athletic plays for us. I believe I remember Bazz saying he had the best hops on the team ( which featured Boatright) his real only downfall as fast the league was a good handle considering what most 6'6 6'7 guys are expected to do.

Reaction Score
Kid was not a slouch athletically. Made several very athletic plays for us. I believe I remember Bazz saying he had the best hops on the team ( which featured Boatright) his real only downfall as fast the league was a good handle considering what most 6'6 6'7 guys are expected to do.

Yeah. Athleticism was never a problem for Giff, whether it was lateral movement or vertical leap. He even had a pretty good first step. His major flaws as a player were his ball-handling and decision making...didn't really seem to have the tricks in the bag to consistently create space to get his own shot, either. He wasn't terribly unlike Daniels in this regard - I guess the difference was that Daniels was both more aggressive by nature and a bit more developed as a back-to-the-basket/face-up player.

If he had another year of eligibility or two, I think he would have developed into a consistent double digit scorer. He had that in him.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I hope he comes back again in October. It's a great time for apple picking.

Reaction Score
I have been calling him Neal Griffey this whole time.....mind blown....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom