Niele Ivey Might Join Memphis Grizzlies Staff as a Coach | The Boneyard

Niele Ivey Might Join Memphis Grizzlies Staff as a Coach

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Gary Parrish Tweet:

Notre Dame women’s basketball associate head coach Niele Ivey has emerged as a serious candidate to join Taylor Jenkins’ staff with the Memphis Grizzlies, a source told
@CBSports
. The former All-American, and WNBA player, has been at Notre Dame since 2007.

That would be a huge loss for Muffet if it happens. Niele is ND's recruiting coordinator as well as being Assoc. Head Coach.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Gary Parrish Tweet:

Notre Dame women’s basketball associate head coach Niele Ivey has emerged as a serious candidate to join Taylor Jenkins’ staff with the Memphis Grizzlies, a source told
@CBSports
. The former All-American, and WNBA player, has been at Notre Dame since 2007.

That would be a huge loss for Muffet if it happens. Niele is ND's recruiting coordinator as well as being Assoc. Head Coach.
Time for M to put her money where her mouth is. She talked about how MBB jobs were closed off to women to justify her refusal to hire men (to certain positions).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I believe MM should stick to her guns and say it is wrong for NBA teams to hire women. :rolleyes:

I know this a meme response, but...when has Muffet ever said anything remotely like that?

It's really telling that of all things Muffet has said the one that receives that seems to anger folks the most is "I won't hire a man".

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Time for M to put her money where her mouth is. She talked about how MBB jobs were closed off to women to justify her refusal to hire men (to certain positions).

Yep, we have 6 women coaching in the NBA now. Gender equity is solved. We can all go home. Good job.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hmmmm.... Notre Dame is set to visit Duke this coming season. How about Memphis waits til next year to hire her :);):cool::p:D:eek::p .... Just kidding.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yep, we have 6 women coaching in the WNBA now. Gender equity is solved. We can all go home. Good job.
Lest my point be misunderstood:

I'm merely saying that since Muffet *professes* (hypocritically, of course, but that's another story) to be so concerned about gender equity in coaching, she should be more than thrilled to give her blessing to Ivey's departure to the MBB coaching ranks.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Lest my point be misunderstood:

I'm merely saying that since Muffet *professes* (hypocritically, of course, but that's another story) to be so concerned about gender equity in coaching, she should be more than thrilled to give her blessing to Ivey's departure to the MBB coaching cranks.

Got it. I assume every post about McGraw here is posted with maximum snark, lol.

Anyhow, Muffet hasn't stopped her from interviewing for college head coaching jobs. I don't see why she'd have a problem with her interviewing for a pro job.

Besides, it would be a big feather in Muffet's proverbial cap to have her protege coaching in the NBA.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IF it comes to fruition Niele would get a job that Geno has said he wanted if he left UConn. Be an assistant coach for a NBA Team. ;)

Got it. I assume every post about McGraw here is posted with maximum snark, lol.

Anyhow, Muffet hasn't stopped her from interviewing for college head coaching jobs. I don't see why she'd have a problem with her interviewing for a pro job.

Besides, it would be a big feather in Muffet's proverbial cap to have her protege coaching in the NBA.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It was recently announced that her son was transferring to a private (boarding) school for his senior year of high school. Maybe this is serious.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It was recently announced that her son was transferring to a private (boarding) school for his senior year of high school. Maybe this is serious.

Cat: Jaden is indeed transferring but the school is in LaPorte, Indiana, a mere hop, skip and drive from South Bend.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I know. My point is it would allow Niele to move to Memphis and Jaden can stay in NW Indiana, near friends and Purdue.

I thought of that the moment I hit "send" and then my connection decided to go south. Point well taken. The transfer to the private school had people scratching their heads over at the Bench (those familiar with both the public and private schools). Your point could explain why...thanks,.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As entertaining as this rib tickling repartee among posting luminaries is, would it be out of order to ask what the blue deuce it has to do with UConn basketball?

In order to partially rectify this faux pas and draw it closer to relevance, I must beg a point of order with my esteemed colleague from the trees of Borneo, Mr. @Orangutan . The MM foot in mouth which draws the most ire is when, as a national championship game approached a while back, she allowed as how after Pat Summit withdrew WCBB lost a lot of class at the top. Of course the broadcast team heaped rebuke on her for that thought with about 2 minutes left in the game.

Reaction Score
I know this a meme response, but...when has Muffet ever said anything remotely like that?

It's really telling that of all things Muffet has said the one that receives that seems to anger folks the most is "I won't hire a man".
Nah. There are dozens more annoying things MM has said.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As entertaining as this rib tickling repartee among posting luminaries is, would it be out of order to ask what the blue deuce it has to do with UConn basketball?

In order to partially rectify this faux pas and draw it closer to relevance, I must beg a point of order with my esteemed colleague from the trees of Borneo, Mr. @Orangutan . The MM foot in mouth which draws the most ire is when, as a national championship game approached a while back, she allowed as how after Pat Summit withdrew WCBB lost a lot of class at the top. Of course the broadcast team heaped rebuke on her for that thought with about 2 minutes left in the game.

Offseason, my friend, it's this or another song thread. Or Triad posting about food.

While we needn't rank all of McGraw's perceived transgressions (which is to say, please don't) I take your point re that particular comment. I suppose that time and memory makes one feel that the most recent firestorm is always the most intense.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Nah. There are dozens more annoying things MM has said.

Maybe I'm just triggered because there is a contingent on McGraw's Bench that are still bitter about it, too.

Anyhow, I've sidetracked things. Though I truly wonder how much intense discussion about the Memphis Grizzlies was otherwise going to happen.

Reaction Score
Why anyone, women or man would want to be an assistant coach in the NBA is beyond me. The players barely listen to the head coach and the notion they will listen to an assistant coach that is maybe making 10% of them is absurd.

If all nba head coaches were just placeholders the teams wouldn’t pay them so much.
And while lebron et al may not listen to the HC, you can be sure that players 7 thru 12 in particular know their future in the league depends on their ability to improve and get coached.

Reaction Score
If all nba head coaches were just placeholders the teams wouldn’t pay them so much.
And while lebron et al may not listen to the HC, you can be sure that players 7 thru 12 in particular know their future in the league depends on their ability to improve and get coached.

.................................................................................................................

Most NBA coaches get paid a small fraction of what the stars/starters make. The majority get paid about what the 10th man does.

If only the 7-12 players are listening to the head coach. Then how much respect is being given to the assistant coaches.

The NBA is entertainment, pure and simple. Defensive 3 seconds? Rare traveling calls. Star treatment by the referees. etc. etc.

Reaction Score
I am surprised Niele has stayed this long at ND. Huge loss to that program if she does leave.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Yep, we have 6 women coaching in the NBA now. Gender equity is solved. We can all go home. Good job.

@Orangutan (and the rest of the Boneyard faithful), by my count, there are eight women serving as assistant coaches in the NBA (as of June 2019):
  • Lindsey Harding (Philadelphia Sixers)
  • Becky Hammon (San Antonio Spurs)
  • Jenny Boucek (Dallas Mavericks)
  • Natalie Nakase (Los Angeles Clippers)
  • Kristi Toliver (Washington Wizards)
  • Karen Stack Umlauf (Chicago Bulls)
  • Lindsay Gottlieb (Cleveland Cavaliers)
  • Kara Lawson (Boston Celtics)
As an aside, Nancy Lieberman had previously been an assistant coach with the Sacramento Kings (2015-2017). She apparently had to take leaves of absence during her tenure to care for her mother (who was living in Florida was sick), which proved difficult to do with the long hours of the NBA assistant coach position. As a result, she had to step away altogether in 2017. I believe she is doing commentary for New Orleans Pelicans' broadcasts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom