Nico Ragaini named starting slot receiver at Iowa | The Boneyard

Nico Ragaini named starting slot receiver at Iowa

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Really sad that a kid from CT, whose father played baseball at UConn, and wasn't even offered by Edsall, is now the starting slot at Iowa as a Freshman.
So tell us more... did Nico camp at UConn?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really sad that a kid from CT, whose father played baseball at UConn, and wasn't even offered by Edsall, is now the starting slot at Iowa as a Freshman.

Iowa aka WRU

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What wr on UConn's roster would start at Iowa right now? That's what I thought
There is obviously more to the story - always is.

Reaction Score
Yale offered. So did Army and BC.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Did Nico really want to be at UConn or did he just want the offer? A lot of local kids seem to want the offer with no plans to stay home. Edsall doesn’t put much effort in those kids that want the offer but have no real interest.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Reaching out is one thing, but if the individual you reach out to isn't interested then why pursue.

Sometimes kids just want to get away from home no matter what. Let's be honest. Playing in the Big Ten is better than the AAC and more eyes will be on him.

Reaction Score
I mean he's also a RS Freshman who enrolled 4 days after he was offered as a Post-Grad at Old Farms. He was signing class of 2017-18 (as a HS senior that would've been the last Diaco class that Edsall inherited mid-stream; as a post-grad that would be last year's class); 24/7 lists 8 total offers, 5 of which were FCS, the other three were Army, BC, and Iowa. (Rivals has only 3, BC, Yale and Iowa)

His clip post-signing talks about him wanting to prove he could hang with the big-dogs, it's entirely possible he wanted P5 and didn't hold serious interest in attending UConn, which his listed by both sites as never visiting. I'd love to see a CT kid do well, but this seems like a lot of no news as it relates to UConn.

Reaction Score

Don't even understand why that's sad. Am I supposed to be sad that a young man from Connecticut got to go where he wanted and play at a level above what we could offer and now -- God forbid -- is looking like he might succeed? Oh my God -- the horror.

Reaction Score
Big Ten schools have been recruiting all over Connecticut the past several years. They know the state better than Edsall does, something Randy and his coaches know they have to improve on, especially with diamonds in the rough like Ragaini. Edsall knows that in order to keep some of these great players in state his team is going to have to start winning, the flip side being the Big Ten schools know that with UConn football being as bad as it has been they won't have much recruiting competition, so they watch the state closely. Not sure if it had any bearing on where Ragaini ended up, but many years ago his head coach was captain of the UConn football team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't even understand why that's sad. Am I supposed to be sad that a young man from Connecticut got to go where he wanted and play at a level above what we could offer and now -- God forbid -- is looking like he might succeed? Oh my God -- the horror.
Maybe what he thinks is sad is exactly what he said " Really sad that a kid from CT, whose father played baseball at UConn, and wasn't even offered by Edsall, is now the starting slot at Iowa as a Freshman.

Not like HCRE2.0 doesn't offer in state kids who have no intention of going to UConn like: Drew Pyne (QB) - New Canaan High School, New Canaan CT (Notre Dame Commit 4/16/18); Tyler Van Dyke (QB) - Glastonbury, CT attending Suffield Academy (Univ. of Miami Commit 4/29/19); Jah Joyner (DE/OLB) - Danbury High School, Danbury CT (BC Commit 6/9/19)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe what he thinks is sad is exactly what he said " Really sad that a kid from CT, whose father played baseball at UConn, and wasn't even offered by Edsall, is now the starting slot at Iowa as a Freshman.

Not like HCRE2.0 doesn't offer in state kids who have no intention of going to UConn like: Drew Pyne (QB) - New Canaan High School, New Canaan CT (Notre Dame Commit 4/16/18); Tyler Van Dyke (QB) - Glastonbury, CT attending Suffield Academy (Univ. of Miami Commit 4/29/19); Jah Joyner (DE/OLB) - Danbury High School, Danbury CT (BC Commit 6/9/19)

We'll never get completely inside Edsall's head, but yes he will offer a few (not many really) of the top instate players and my guess is that those are the kids he really wants. He's not going to spend his time graveling with a kid that he thinks would be his 4th best option in his recruiting class at said position when he knows from the beginning they have no interest.

Reaction Score
Big Ten schools have been recruiting all over Connecticut the past several years. They know the state better than Edsall does, something Randy and his coaches know they have to improve on, especially with diamonds in the rough like Ragaini. Edsall knows that in order to keep some of these great players in state his team is going to have to start winning, the flip side being the Big Ten schools know that with UConn football being as bad as it has been they won't have much recruiting competition, so they watch the state closely. Not sure if it had any bearing on where Ragaini ended up, but many years ago his head coach was captain of the UConn football team.

sheesh

Reaction Score
It’s too bad for us, and presumably good for him. Got to look forward at this point. For some kids jumping on to a flaming wreck is not what they want. For others, it represents opportunity.

Reaction Score

Two Big Ten schools alone, Michigan and Penn State, have recruited 11 of the best high school kids in the state the last four years, 12 if you include Raigini and Iowa, and many more that went to Rutgers, Wisconsin, Northwestern, etc.

Reaction Score
The worst aspect to me is local football improved through Edsall's efforts in his first stint along with the rise of UConn football. Now that the players have improved they may be too good for UConn, at least in their minds. Hopefully Edsall uses Wentz as one example of a kid who made it big in a "smaller" environment.

Reaction Score
Two Big Ten schools alone, Michigan and Penn State, have recruited 11 of the best high school kids in the state the last four years, 12 if you include Raigini and Iowa, and many more that went to Rutgers, Wisconsin, Northwestern, etc.

There's nothing wrong with the effort of Edsall & staff nor the investment of the University & the State of Connecticut in Football. I doubt there's one kid in-state that has truly been misevaluated; and there is always a story. It is a grind - Chief. And we are in a hole climbing out. The primary issue is that Fanbase not being 40,000 full; but 15-20,000 and losing a track meet up & down. Depth ... Foundation players ... One solid QB for a few years. We will get some. And the rebounds. The ones who don't start in their early careers go home.

Reaction Score
Nico Ragaini is the best HS player I’ve ever seen in person. He dominated against the best competition in the state. If UConn offered, Nico would’ve been a Husky. Fact. Per his dad, who was roommates with Penders. ... the story is he verballed as a sophomore to Albany for lacrosse. He then switched to Cornell, as a junior. but the lacrosse verbal kept football programs away. Senior year he felt he didn’t want to give football up, his first love. Disco didn’t offer. To get better offers, PGd at AOF. Edsall didn’t offer, but OKeefe, the Iowa assistant (who’s from CT) convinced Ferentz that Nico is legit. He doesn’t have track speed, but he’s got football speed, hands, IQ & competiveness. Big swing & miss by Edsall with a kid who WANTED to come here.

Reaction Score
I mean he's also a RS Freshman who enrolled 4 days after he was offered as a Post-Grad at Old Farms. He was signing class of 2017-18 (as a HS senior that would've been the last Diaco class that Edsall inherited mid-stream; as a post-grad that would be last year's class); 24/7 lists 8 total offers, 5 of which were FCS, the other three were Army, BC, and Iowa. (Rivals has only 3, BC, Yale and Iowa)

His clip post-signing talks about him wanting to prove he could hang with the big-dogs, it's entirely possible he wanted P5 and didn't hold serious interest in attending UConn, which his listed by both sites as never visiting. I'd love to see a CT kid do well, but this seems like a lot of no news as it relates to UConn.

It relates to UConn because if we are going to turn this absolute embarrassment of a program around, we can't miss on kids like this, it just can't happen! We have to get the better kids in the area! This kid is going to be a solid Big10 level player for the next 4 years, not many guys currently on UConn's roster that you can say that about.

Reaction Score
Nico Ragaini is the best HS player I’ve ever seen in person. He dominated against the best competition in the state. If UConn offered, Nico would’ve been a Husky. Fact. Per his dad, who was roommates with Penders. ... the story is he verballed as a sophomore to Albany for lacrosse. He then switched to Cornell, as a junior. but the lacrosse verbal kept football programs away. Senior year he felt he didn’t want to give football up, his first love. Disco didn’t offer. To get better offers, PGd at AOF. Edsall didn’t offer, but OKeefe, the Iowa assistant (who’s from CT) convinced Ferentz that Nico is legit. He doesn’t have track speed, but he’s got football speed, hands, IQ & competiveness. Big swing & miss by Edsall with a kid who WANTED to come here.

Said perfectly!

Reaction Score
I'd cut Edsall some slack on Ragaini, given that Ragaini graduated from NDWH in 2017. Edsall only became coach just a few months before and one month after Ragaini finished his senior season, and although Ragaini didn't sign with Ferentz and Iowa until January 2018 I wonder if Nico had already made up his mind. The whiff and miss you can lay squarely at the feet of Bob Diaco and his crew.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

No, not at all. You should be sad that the UConn football program is on life support right now, coming off a debacle of a season, the University showed how little faith they have by jumping to the NBE, and they can't get a local kid, with UConn ties, that WANTED to come HERE!!! That's what is sad!

Reaction Score
Said perfectly!
I’m curious - did Penders talk to Edsall about NR?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom