Nick Saban Quote | The Boneyard

Nick Saban Quote

Reaction Score
Multiple sources are quoting Nick Saban as follows -- and lauding him for his position:

“Someone with one of the best corners in the nation (in high school) came to me and asked if we’d pay them $800,000 for the player to sign here. I told him he can find another place to play. I’m not paying a kid a bunch of NIL money before he earns it.”

What I got from it was that Saban controls the NIL money at Alabama. Is that not a no-no?

Reaction Score
Multiple sources are quoting Nick Saban as follows -- and lauding him for his position:

“Someone with one of the best corners in the nation (in high school) came to me and asked if we’d pay them $800,000 for the player to sign here. I told him he can find another place to play. I’m not paying a kid a bunch of NIL money before he earns it.”

What I got from it was that Saban controls the NIL money at Alabama. Is that not a no-no?

Saban is smart enough to not say or do that and also doesn’t want to get in to the crapshow that Florida went through with their recruit.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Loved this sendup of the typical WFH scam replies one usually finds in the comments:

6025ccd551a77-bpthumb.jpg
Gary Porter

January 28, 2023 at 11:08 pm
I’ve made $5000 from the IRS on calling athletes unreported income to a tip line

Reaction Score
Saban pining for the days when they could just dish out the cars and cash behind closed doors. He's not wrong about the principle of not giving money to those who haven't earned it, but it's just funny listening to some of these guys complain about it being out in the open now.

Reaction Score
No one should be surprised by this and I have to believe this is all still in its infancy. The NCAA will soon be toothless with oversight. Pay to play professional franchises will be the model at the top echelons of college athletics.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Saban is deflecting because Bama is behind on building their NIL programs.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He’s not giving them the money. They gotta be smarter than asking the guy who can’t legally say yes. The Pitino approach.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He isn't wrong and the NCAA needs to do something as the money is good in some ways but in others there are issues like this

Just my two cents

Reaction Score
Saban is smart enough to not say or do that and also doesn’t want to get in to the crapshow that Florida went through with their recruit.
A direct quote from multiple sources.

Reaction Score
He isn't wrong and the NCAA needs to do something as the money is good in some ways but in others there are issues like this

Just my two cents
Absolutely. Totally agree.

Reaction Score
The crazy part is that Saban just landed the top rated recruiting class, so it isn't like he is struggling to land talent. The other teams in his league are racking up players though, and you can say that Georgia has passed Bama on the field. Saban is definitely looking for a way to slow his competition down.

Reaction Score
Is any of this a No No???? don't think so... High level FBS football is a full fledged business... with a little fun for the fans and kids(that are good enough to play at the level) sprinkled in...

Reaction Score

Just my two cents

I just don't see it happening. I think the NCAA is just about toothless in terms of enforcing any rules around this. Moreover, the SEC and BiG are going to negotiate huge deals in all the major markets. I can't believe they are long for the NCAA anyway. Given the money involved I don't see any reason why elite college athletics will have much to do at all with academics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom