Nice things about college basketball | The Boneyard

Nice things about college basketball

Reaction Score
I love how the players point to the creator of the "good pass," acknowledging the teamwork.

I learned recently, and I believe it is true, that that started with Dean Smith, the legendary coach at North Carolina. (I read that Coach K, from super arch-rival Duke, said simply about Dean Smith that "I loved Dean Smith.") And that rivalry has to be more than ours with Tennessee, given the proximity of the 2 schools.

I also love Senior Night, especially that all seniors, no matter how talented, start. Period. Well, I understand that also started with Dean Smith. In fact, one year, he had 6 seniors, I believe. Oops. Well, no problem, Dean Smith started all 6!! OK, so he got T'd. Big deal. He made his point. (Kind of like Geno with Nykesha Sales.)

Anybody have stories like these?

P.S. I agree with something Diana said once. She said, in reference to the UConn program, "Was it really ever about winning?" And she, better than almost anyone, would know.

Reaction Score
For me, it comes down to teamwork and selflessness. I love it when someone gives up a shot because a someone else has an even better shot. And I like end-of-game situations, where the ones who don't play as much get in the game. You can see how hard the starters pull for them.

What I love best in the women's game is that the majority of players stay for four years. It's great for us as fans because you feel as though you know who they are and you can get a little attached. It's very good for the game because it builds a consistent product.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
WRT women's basketball, I like that they pay attention to their studies, take pride in them, and even talk about them publically. See the article about Gabby posted recently.

Reaction Score
I believe whoever told you that the creator of the "good pass" was Dean Smith never watched the UCLA teams of the 1960"s, coached by John Wooden.[/QUOTE

I read that on ESPN, I believe.

Reaction Score
P.S. I agree with something Diana said once. She said, in reference to the UConn program, "Was it really ever about winning?" And she, better than almost anyone, would know.
No, I'm sure for D it's never been about winning. But I'd never buy a bridge from her.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm going to actually refer to (gasp) men's college basketball for a moment.

College basketball at its best (both men's and women's) is a celebration of sport and spirit. What makes it more compelling to me than professional basketball is how most of the players are driven by their pure love of the game and take joy in the team experience, without the jading effect of contracts and salaries.

I know it's fashionable on this board to find fault with the men's game, but here are three men's teams that currently embody why I love the sport:
  1. Arizona State. In Bobby Hurley's 3rd year at ASU—and after two struggle-filled years—ASU has come out of nowhere and burst onto the national scene with huge wins over Xavier and Kansas, and they're one of only three remaining undefeated teams. ASU plays with an explosive energy, passion, and selflessness that are a reflection of how Hurley always played the game. ASU is led by a trio of senior guards plus one energizer-bunny freshman guard named Remy Martin, who comes off the bench and who reminds me very much of Moriah Jefferson for the gusto with which he plays pesky ball-hounding defense. He is a water bug. This ASU team reminds me of why I love college basketball. Arizona State makes its case for being the best team in college basketball

2. Oklahoma. Or should I say, Trae Young. He is just a freshman, but he is leading the nation in both scoring and assists. Let that sink in for a moment. What he has done so far is mindblowing, and no one even saw it coming. He didn't have the preseason buzz of Marvin Bagley (Duke) or DeAndre Ayton (Arizona). A local product from Norman, Young has talked about how much joy he gets from making his teammates happy. How often do we get to hear that from a freshman in December? In his last game he posted an NCAA-record 22 assists. His court vision and shooting range have drawn apt comparisons to Steph Curry: Trae Young made basketball look effortless again

3. Villanova. Nothing new here, but this is a team that just gets it. They play for each other and they have complete buy-in from the top of their roster to the end of the bench. And coach Jay Wright is sustaining an elite level of excellence without the one-and-done superstars of other elite programs. Why does the college basketball world love to sleep on Villanova?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom