Nice Job by Mike Anthony | The Boneyard

Nice Job by Mike Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony is a great beat writer. I miss him doing the Men's bball games. David Borges updates his blog maybe once every two weeks .

I havent been on the courant for a while but whatever happened to Desmond? He still the footbbal courant writer?

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony is a great beat writer. I miss him doing the Men's bball games. David Borges updates his blog maybe once every two weeks .

I havent been on the courant for a while but whatever happened to Desmond? He still the footbbal courant writer?
Dez was reassigned to the CT college beat that Mike had been doing. Dom Amore does mbb beat and IMHO sucks royally at it. John Altavilla now does UConn hockey.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, that was a pretty frank assessment of the guy. I'm sure Diaco has seen it and it stings. I have to admit I feel bad for the guy, even as I become more sure that he needs to go.

Reaction Score
A lot of what sportswriters write in the same town as the team must be parsed. Direct explicit criticism is rare. Ostrout alluded to some of the same things in the JI last night. What it comes down to is that they are throwing the flag on all the BS.

Reaction Score
Like Diaco, the media does the same thing. They miss the big picture covering the minutia of the man.

The one simple thing they rarely express is that Diaco hasn't focused on his game day performance. He looks to find the details of his failures, when it isn't details that are the problem. It's the big stuff. It's his philosophy and game planning. He searches for an identity when he should be searching for a first down. When sometime works, he rarely uses it to set up another thing that works, he just keeps repeating the original idea. His offense and defense are as predictable as the sun rise. He never leaves his comfort zone. And as I have said before, he fears turnovers more than he fears losing. He thinks improvement is more important than wins. Basically, his team sucks because his priorities suck

Reaction Score
Dez was reassigned to the CT college beat that Mike had been doing. Dom Amore does mbb beat and IMHO sucks royally at it. John Altavilla now does UConn hockey.

did u mean the highschool beat? Was it because Desmond was getting in some epic flame wars?

Reaction Score
Wow, that was a pretty frank assessment of the guy. I'm sure Diaco has seen it and it stings. I have to admit I feel bad for the guy, even as I become more sure that he needs to go.

I dont even bother with Don Amore.

Reaction Score
They gonna be all pissy when he goes Belicheck on them in the future and they have to file stories w/ six word answers to questions.... ;)

I agree w/ M.A that winning changes the prism in which his comments are viewed. He needs to find a happy medium and get some help in the off season dealing w/ the media and messaging.

Less is more right now.

Reaction Score
did u mean the highschool beat? Was it because Desmond was getting in some epic flame wars?
No the CT colleges beat..Central, Yale, Wesleyan, Trinity, Southern, Hartford..etc....

Reaction Score
Honestly he seems like a really nice guy. But he is not a good football coach. I think to some extent pal has it right. But I also think that he is so focused on his way that he doesn't see that it doesn't fit his talent. Talks a lot about complementary football yet insists on using a defensive strategy that is a mismatch for a plodding offense. And never tries to return punts despite an offense that really needs every extra yard it can get. I and others have called him the Michael Scott of coaches because he can go on forever about the details but on a strategic level he is clueless.

They say that at the beginning of each season John Wooden would begin with instructions on how to properly put on your sneakers and socks. Not because he didn't think players knew how to tie their shoes but because he wanted to avoid things like blisters, untied laces in a game...little things that can affect the outcome. I sense Diaco does it but has no idea why and obsesses about it still in November.

Reaction Score
Great job by Anthony. The biggest problem this guy has is not speaking simply, clearly, and concisely when talking to the media. Everything doesn't have to be a parable or a dissertation. He's also got a very bad habit of talking down to people while giving off the vibe that he's much, much smarter than you. Cool if you're Bill Belichick, not if you're 3-6.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Strictly in terms of his rhetoric, I often get the sense that HCBD's effort to express himself in a sophisticated manner outstrip his actual ability to do so.

Could this also be the case in the context of his coaching?

Reaction Score
Talks a lot about complementary football yet insists on using a defensive strategy that is a mismatch for a plodding offense. And never tries to return punts despite an offense that really needs every extra yard it can get. I and others have called him the Michael Scott of coaches because he can go on forever about the details but on a strategic level he is clueless. .

I'm sure someone has already said this about the whole punt fiasco but... If Diaco wants to fair catch every punt, why doesn't he put the punt block on every time? I'm tired of watching the line during the punts just stand up and do nothing, if you are going to fair catch every time, send the house and let the returner handle the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom