Nice Borges article after speaking with Kevin Ollie | The Boneyard

Nice Borges article after speaking with Kevin Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"You listen to Kevin Ollie speak, and you start to realize that this could be a fun year to watch this team. It could really say something about their character, their will to win, along with their on-court abilities."

"And it certainly makes you believe that Ollie is head coaching material, too. No question about it."

Reaction Score
Name Ollie the coach in waiting already, love everything about this guy.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with naming Ollie the next HC. Unless Shaka Smart call us tomorrow and tell us he wants to be the next HC, I believe Ollie is the right choice. With Calhoun's blessing and Ollie's recruiting ability, we will be fine.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That was some nice stuff. Great to read about the guy. I like the way he speaks and relates to everyone - kids, parents, reporters, other coaches, fans, etc. As for naming him HC in waiting, I'm not sure I see the need at this point. UCONN is still recruiting well, even with all the "questions" surrounding JC. I readily admit I don't follow recruiting as closely as some on here, but are there any big time recruits that we lost out on solely because there was no HC in waiting announced? I get that other coaches have used the coaching situation (along with the sanctions) against UCONN in recruiting the past few years, but what kids did we really want that we missed out on due to no future HC being named?

Reaction Score
"No question about it."

Just remember absolutely no questions about it. Borges knows best. Lets do the 6 year coaching in waiting deal manana. Last year was totally on Calhoun. No assistant should take any responsibility for the team chemistry issues. After all thats not his job. Its all on Jimmy.

Lets be patient without the constant posturing by the Borges of the world. If Ollie gets his chance with UConn or somewhere else then we will see if there is "no question about it."

There are a lot worse candidates than Ollie. There are plenty of questions though.

Reaction Score
I understand both sides of the future coach discussions and I'm right in the middle.

Positives for KO: guarantees future coaching stability to recruits, and the program likely won't miss a beat in the short run. Likable, hardworking guy with morals and intelligence. He's a UConn guy and battled his way to a successful NBA career strictly through perseverance and effort. He is also very young and relates to young players and recruits on a personal level.

Negatives for KO: Lack of experience. He played for JC for 4 years and has been an assistant going on year 3. Still never been a HC so there is naturally a bit of risk. Another year under Coach Calhoun will only help him.

Positives for a national search: long run results might be better, and lets not sell ourselves short... UConn is a brand name and a lot of young stud coaches will submit an application. UConn is historically the most successful program in the Big East (sorry Cuse look at results) and rising on all fronts academically, athletically, and economically because of results and $. We could have our pick of the litter no question.

Negatives for a national search: short term other coaches will harp on lack of stability at UConn, too many question marks etc. It also gives the Syracuse grads at ESPN an open forum to speculate and turn off top prospects.

Reaction Score
Whatever will be will be.

May sound flippant but its true, everything will itself work out.

Reaction Score
I understand both sides of the future coach discussions and I'm right in the middle.

Positives for KO: guarantees future coaching stability to recruits, and the program likely won't miss a beat in the short run. Likable, hardworking guy with morals and intelligence. He's a UConn guy and battled his way to a successful NBA career strictly through perseverance and effort. He is also very young and relates to young players and recruits on a personal level.

Negatives for KO: Lack of experience. He played for JC for 4 years and has been an assistant going on year 3. Still never been a HC so there is naturally a bit of risk. Another year under Coach Calhoun will only help him.

Positives for a national search: long run results might be better, and lets not sell ourselves short... UConn is a brand name and a lot of young stud coaches will submit an application. UConn is historically the most successful program in the Big East (sorry Cuse look at results) and rising on all fronts academically, athletically, and economically because of results and $. We could have our pick of the litter no question.

Negatives for a national search: short term other coaches will harp on lack of stability at UConn, too many question marks etc. It also gives the Syracuse grads at ESPN an open forum to speculate and turn off top prospects.

Well you certainly love your huskies. Many here are fairly passionate. UConn has a good intelligent fan base for the most part. The boneyard is a good site and we should appreciate those who have brought fans together to discuss.

Good luck and more importantly have fun. Sports are a nice diversion.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I love everything I read about Ollie and everything coming out of his mouth. Because of his unique personal story, he will be able to recruit as well as anybody in the country. And when you couple his NBA cred with his love of UConn, I think he'll be able to get players to buy in and stay fired up. The only question, of course, is X's and O's. Two of our three national titles were a result of Jim Calhoun out-coaching Coach K. Game-planning and making in-game adjustments are critical, needless to say. My hope is that Kevin Ollie, having played for so many great coaches over the years, and having played and coached under Jim Calhoun, has the chops to do it. It's always a gamble. Frankly, it's one I'm willing to take.

All that said, no need to officially name him HCIW. It's just unnecessary. If he's a natural leader, which I think he is, he'll rise up to be the obvious HCIW. He already is, it seems.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'd rather see UConn basketball fall back to earth with Ollie at the wheel than bring in the pick of the up and coming litter.

What Jim Calhoun has built is so special here. We are a DIY blueblood in the modern era; built from scratch.

The reward of continued success with one of the most likeable huskies in history is worth all the risk of the unknown.

Screw our brand justifying a national search, our history justifies Ollie. Lock him up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great read. I hate a settling mentality, so my bias is to open it up and see who is interested. Ollie, however, is a compelling guy. I'd be willing give him a chance.

Reaction Score
Great read. I hate a settling mentality, so my bias is to open it up and see who is interested. Ollie, however, is a compelling guy. I'd be willing give him a chance.

If you open it up, you have to say right away that Ollie isn't getting the job. No one of any stature will interview at a place with a solid inside candidate.

Reaction Score

Good breakdown. You hit the nail on the head. There's so much to love about KO, but there are still so many variables. Yet, I still like the continuation of the Calhoun legacy. KO knows UConn basketball and has already established himself on the recruiting trail. It will be interesting to see how things unfold. I'm still crossing my fingers for two more years (or more:cool:) with Calhoun at the helm.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you open it up, you have to say right away that Ollie isn't getting the job. No one of any stature will interview at a place with a solid inside candidate.

Any solid coach with years of head coaching experience who is unwilling to compete against an assistant with 3 years of experience, and is confident that he’s win hands downs probably isn’t someone I’d want to lead the program. That said I agree, you either hand it to Kevin or bring in outside candidates to interview, it is a very different mindset in pursuing one or the other.

Reaction Score
Any solid coach with years of head coaching experience who is unwilling to compete against an assistant with 3 years of experience, and is confident that he’s win hands downs probably isn’t someone I’d want to lead the program. That said I agree, you either hand it to Kevin or bring in outside candidates to interview, it is a very different mindset in pursuing one or the other.

Your logic makes sense but it probably isn't reality. Word on the street is its KO's job to lose. No way is a Shaka Smart level talent going to open himself up to the embarrassment of failing to get the job. KO is starting in the lead and that isn't good for other candidates. If you don't get the job you were "passed over" for a guy who's never been a head coach. It would be better to eliminate KO as an option before pursuing other coaches.

Reaction Score

I've seen this play out over and over again.

When there's an inside candidate, the field is composed of hopeless wannabes.

Put it this way, Shaka Smart is NOT going to throw his hat in the ring if he knows Ollie is a solid candidate.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

CL82, I think a lot of people rushed to declare Ollie HCIW as soon as he came aboard. I was hopeful he'd pan out but wary. Like I said above, it's always a gamble. But everything I have seen since he's been there has led me to think he's our best chance of keeping this thing moving. Yeah I like Shaka Smart and yeah I like Sean Miller but what I don't know about them is whether UConn would be their final destination (assuming they'd even take the job; I don't see why Miller would, frankly). We know that about Kevin Ollie.

CL82

Reaction Score
CL82, I think a lot of people rushed to declare Ollie HCIW as soon as he came aboard. I was hopeful he'd pan out but wary. Like I said above, it's always a gamble. But everything I have seen since he's been there has led me to think he's our best chance of keeping this thing moving. Yeah I like Shaka Smart and yeah I like Sean Miller but what I don't know about them is whether UConn would be their final destination (assuming they'd even take the job; I don't see why Miller would, frankly). We know that about Kevin Ollie.

Agree. Let me restate my post another way. KO is the only guy with his coaching resume that I'd consider to HC at UConn.

As had been said before, if you are outside the UConn family, you don't want to be the guy who takes over for Jim Calhoun, you want to be the guy who takes over for the guy who takes over for Jim Calhoun. Whoever takes over for JC is going to be compared to one of the all time greats and that is a very difficult position to be in. Although, on paper, I think we can do much better, KO is kind of guy of who it is foolish to bet against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom