Nice article on the Coxes | The Boneyard

Nice article on the Coxes

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Evidently Lauren Cox's younger sister was diagnosed with type I diabetes a couple of years ago, and she plays at Lubbock Christian, the D II champs. There's a really good article on the family, rivalries, diabetes solidarity, etc., here:

I'm not crazy about Mulkey, nor about Baylor in general, but I've always had a good feeling about Cox, and this article reinforces that.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My only umbrage with Kim Mulkey was her comments and stubbornness when defending Baylor when the Art Broiles situation reared its ugly head. Other than that, she has done a remarkable job with a deader than a door nail of a program since getting there, she has 3 NCAA Titles, recruits remarkably year in year out, has a coaching edge and wants to compete relentlessly. She needs to step up her OOC as the Big12 is getting weaker by the year. Playing the Texas Cupcake circuit is a disservice to what she’s built.
I still think her team is short shooters especially 3 point shooters and wonder who will step up in scoring to support Cox. Frankly, anyone who doesn’t like and respect Lauren simply does not follow basketball.
Mulkey also donated money to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation in both Lauren and her sisters name. Plus her throwing out the First Pitch was awesome! :)

Reaction Score
Did she really force Griner to stay in the closet, or was it just a smart decision to avoid the certain harrassment that would have followed her at every game. It doesn't appear to me that Griner had the type of personality who could have handled it very well. In the long run it was in her best interests. Mulkey seems to care about her players. She should have suspended Griner far longer than that token one game. Not every person will choose a crusade.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Well, that and Kim Mulkey forcing Britney Griner to stay in the closet for 4 years because having an openly gay player would "look bad and hurt recruiting."
As I recall the discussions at the time, Mulkey told Brittney that if she (Brittney) were open about her sexual orientation, it would look like Mulkey approved of it, which would put Mulkey in a difficult position as a person of authority on the Baylor campus, since Baylor as an institution is committed to the theology that homosexuality is unnatural and sinful.

Which makes me wonder why Griner chose Baylor in the first place, since this kind of difficulty would have been totally predictable.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
As I recall the discussions at the time, Mulkey told Brittney that if she (Brittney) were open about her sexual orientation, it would look like Mulkey approved of it, which would put Mulkey in a difficult position as a person of authority on the Baylor campus, since Baylor as an institution is committed to the theology that homosexuality is unnatural and sinful.

Which makes me wonder why Griner chose Baylor in the first place, since this kind of difficulty would have been totally predictable.
Probably because Britney was 16 or 17 when she was being recruited and couldn't fathom coming out in college. Once someone is away from the limitations of home, they are more likely to come out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom