Nice article on our "nasty piece of business" | The Boneyard

Nice article on our "nasty piece of business"

Reaction Score
I don't know if Kia will make any first team AA team in the next two years, and I sure as hell wouldn't bet against her. But if she doesn't, I think there should be some sort of exemption to allow her to be included on the wall. She's been a starter for the longest streak in history. That's worth as much as an AA.

Reaction Score
"I think in this world, people think a good game is when you score a lot of points," Nurse said. "For me, that's not where I'm really good. If I have a really good game defensively, and I have between five and seven assists, that's a really good game for me."

I'm so happy that Kia has settled into her role and has accepted that she doesn't need to do everything; she just needs to be herself, play her best game, and everything else will fall into place. The article really covers everything I can say about Nurse. She's one I've really been rooting for since her freshman year, and she's truly come into her own in such a huge way. Whether she makes it onto the wall or not, Kia Nurse is a name we're going to remember way down the line.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't know if Kia will make any first team AA team in the next two years, and I sure as hell wouldn't bet against her. But if she doesn't, I think there should be some sort of exemption to allow her to be included on the wall. She's been a starter for the longest streak in history. That's worth as much as an AA.
Unfortunately there are so many deserving players through the years that didn't make it to the wall that she would likely not be the first in line for 'exception' status. Probably starts with Jamelle and goes through Kelly. With the frequency of new additions to the wall, it will be a while before they start on the exception list.

Reaction Score

Thanks--that's our Kia. If those voting for AA have any intelligence they too shall she : Here longevity with a wining combination, of not only the top 3 but those who were the bottom 4 last year. The constant on the Uconn team for the past 3 years has been Kia. Often un-noticed because she does a lot of work on the 'off the ball' --constantly moving , constantly picking off defenders so the top 3 can score. Her middle name is "little things" because she does those 'little things' that makes a team successful. Thank Registered---nice posting on Kia.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately there are so many deserving players through the years that didn't make it to the wall that she would likely not be the first in line for 'exception' status. Probably starts with Jamelle and goes through Kelly. With the frequency of new additions to the wall, it will be a while before they start on the exception list.
The thing about Kia's achievement is that it's objective (as opposed to subjective). Although being selected a first team AA is an objective fact, the method of selecting is, at it's core, somebody's (or a group of somebodies') opinion. Winning 98 games in a row is not a matter of opinion.

Being a starter on a team with a record shattering winning streak may be subject to opinion though. To be honest, I'm not sure Kia has started every one of the 98 games. What would happen were someone to miss a start due to illness or injury or discipline? What constitutes a "starter" anyway? In her senior year, Caroline Doty started the games but Bria performed to role of a starter more so than Caroline. Does someone who sits at the beginning of the game (so a senior can "start") on "Senior Night" lose her "right" to be a starter for that game?

My point in offering this reasoning is that UConn is in the process of redefining the term excellence for the game of women's basketball, and, indeed, for sports in general. When the "Wall" was proposed, was what the Huskies are now doing envisioned? When that wall was established, being a first team AA was pretty spectacular (and still is).

But things have changed. What these young women are currently doing is revolutionary. What would happen were someone to be a four year starter on a team that went undefeated every year but didn't get 1st team AA because 4 other Huskies always got selected and the voters just couldn't bring themselves to choose 5 from UConn. A preposterous scenario I know, just no longer as preposterous as it was when the wall was begun.

Reaction Score
The thing about Kia's achievement is that it's objective (as opposed to subjective). Although being selected a first team AA is an objective fact, the method of selecting is, at it's core, somebody's (or a group of somebodies') opinion. Winning 98 games in a row is not a matter of opinion.

Being a starter on a team with a record shattering winning streak may be subject to opinion though. To be honest, I'm not sure Kia has started every one of the 98 games. What would happen were someone to miss a start due to illness or injury or discipline? What constitutes a "starter" anyway? In her senior year, Caroline Doty started the games but Bria performed to role of a starter more so than Caroline. Does someone who sits at the beginning of the game (so a senior can "start") on "Senior Night" lose her "right" to be a starter for that game?

My point in offering this reasoning is that UConn is in the process of redefining the term excellence for the game of women's basketball, and, indeed, for sports in general. When the "Wall" was proposed, was what the Huskies are now doing envisioned? When that wall was established, being a first team AA was pretty spectacular (and still is).

But things have changed. What these young women are currently doing is revolutionary. What would happen were someone to be a four year starter on a team that went undefeated every year but didn't get 1st team AA because 4 other Huskies always got selected and the voters just couldn't bring themselves to choose 5 from UConn. A preposterous scenario I know, just no longer as preposterous as it was when the wall was begun.

Interesting, informative, and asks good questions. I like "Uconn----is== redefining the term excellence for the game--!! There is no way anyone could predict the number of 70 plus winning teams Uconn would produce--this is insane--I believe the wall was to honor Geno's favorites--who happened to be AA's-
Subjective--is one of my least favorite terms--in grading, in judging, in life--it is as you say--based on opinions. Even those individuals who work very hard at it--still interject their biases/views into the judgement. Like the --"4 from uconn were AA's and voters can't bring themselves to vote for more Uconn's"---it stinks--but it is a fact of life--those who are trying to be fair--are most sincerely biased and unfair--sunk by their own value system.

Reaction Score
Kia is an exceptional teammate and player. She's a rock, and we're fortunate to have her!
We Byer's write often about the Fab 3 plus 1 --I personally write about Gabby, Napheesa, kLS and Saniya--completely overlooking KIA. But I know she is the kingpin, the glue, the on floor Geno, that keeps this team running smoothly--and never (seen) getting rattled--KIA and Gabby are the calming influences--when the IT hits the fan--they look to Kia to do something and she does--that nailing 3, the murderous attack on the basket, or simply her voice--get your a--s over where it belongs!!!

Reaction Score
If the WALL was based on Fan input--there would be abt 500 numbers up there--including a transfer or 2.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know if Kia will be All-American, but I think she is definitely All-North American! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom