Nice Article on Carlton | The Boneyard

Nice Article on Carlton

Reaction Score
This much you need to know: Carlton, 6 feet 11, is ready to fully emerge from his shell, cast it away and ascend another level, and he is determined to take his place among that group. He stayed on campus all summer and, under the guidance of human performance director Sal Alosi, who emphasized technique and explosiveness, Carlton has filled out to 260 pounds, about 25 more than last season. Mind and body now seem in optimum sync.

“I feel I can impose my will more,” he says. “Before, being underweight for me — because 235 wasn’t the ideal weight for me — I was competing with other bigs, but I wasn’t imposing my will, dominating.”

Dom Amore: Josh Carlton, after sophomore breakthrough, is primed for pivotal season for UConn men

Reaction Score
Music to ears. There really is only one question about him and that is what happens if he were to get 2 quick fouls in the first half? How does the team cover that against a quality opponent?

Reaction Score
maybe you could copy & paste the whole article for people who don't want to sign up with the Courant? thanks

Reaction Score
It took the BY a while to see the potential in Carlton. But you know who knew it right away --- George Blaney!!!

George Blaney — who had coached at UConn, coached Carlton’s father James at Holy Cross and Hurley at Seton Hall — was perfectly positioned and urged that they buy into what the new coach was selling.

“Just how hard he would push me every day,” Carlton says. “At first, I didn’t like it, but down the line I saw there was a method to the madness. He was trying to instill a motor, an edge in me, that he knew, if I had it, it would just make me a way better player. I started playing better, and I thought, ‘ah, I see what he was talking about.’

“… I knew it was something that I needed, but did I want it? I just tried to accept, say ‘C’mon, Josh, you know he’s trying to push you.’ But until you actually turn and see it on the court, it’s hard to accept.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After the cinci game mentioned (17 games)

10.9ppg
8.1 rpg
.76 apg
2.1 bpg

3.4 pfpg

He would've been better if he didn't foul so much. Biggest source of his inconsistency. But in that Houston game? He was the only one that came ready to play. If Josh can play 30+ minutes a game, I think we can make a splash in-conference. Maybe first 4 out of the tourney.

It would be nice to see the passing get above 1.5apg or so. Having two non-passers on the floor if Sid plays is a tough look.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'He was trying to instill a motor, an edge in me, that he knew, if I had it, it would just make me a way better player. I started playing better, and I thought, ‘ah, I see what he was talking about.’
self awareness=enlightenment. cool. go get 'em, Josh!

Reaction Score
Love the put-back dunk against Temple.

As long as Josh is disciplined on the defensive end he should have one hell of a season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This much you need to know: Carlton, 6 feet 11, is ready to fully emerge from his shell, cast it away and ascend another level, and he is determined to take his place among that group. He stayed on campus all summer and, under the guidance of human performance director Sal Alosi, who emphasized technique and explosiveness, Carlton has filled out to 260 pounds, about 25 more than last season. Mind and body now seem in optimum sync.

“I feel I can impose my will more,” he says. “Before, being underweight for me — because 235 wasn’t the ideal weight for me — I was competing with other bigs, but I wasn’t imposing my will, dominating.”

Dom Amore: Josh Carlton, after sophomore breakthrough, is primed for pivotal season for UConn men

It's going to be beast mode. He's a big part of why I think everyone (nationally) is sleeping on this team. With Josh, AG, Vital, Akok, Polley, Bouk, Gaff and maybe something from Adams and Wilson this team is going to be very hard to defend, and very tough to score on. Analysts get all excited about that new freshman, but really, the impact of a junior with Josh's skillset putting on 25 pounds of muscle and embracing the will to dominate...that's huge. Polley is going to surprise some people too. And probably Adams as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Music to ears. There really is only one question about him and that is what happens if he were to get 2 quick fouls in the first half? How does the team cover that against a quality opponent?

Reaction Score
maybe you could copy & paste the whole article for people who don't want to sign up with the Courant? thanks
Not allowed. Copyright infringement. Clear your browser history and copy/past the link into google.

Reaction Score

Leave him in and don't impose on yourself the penalty (reduced minutes) that you're trying to avoid?

Reaction Score
Carlton displayed the type of in-season progression you want to see from a sophomore that we were not seeing from players under the previous coaching staff.

Looking forward to see how he does this year!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Carlton displayed the type of in-season progression you want to see from a sophomore that we were not seeing from players under the previous coaching staff.

Looking forward to see how he does this year!

Can we dream about others making a similar leap in progression? I hope so.

Reaction Score
Leave him in and don't impose on yourself the penalty (reduced minutes) that you're trying to avoid?
I like this. I hate to get too far over my skis but there is a possibility that Carlton has such a blowup year that this is it. If he averages 18 and 10 how is he staying?

Reaction Score
Hard to put on 25 lbs. of muscle in one year. I did it the easy way, I put on 25 lbs. of no muscle in one year.
Well, it isn’t all muscle. Maybe 10 of the 25 are muscle.

Kinda lol’d at Sal’s title of “Human Performance Director”

Reaction Score

Outstanding article. One of the best articles Dom has written.

Reaction Score
I like this. I hate to get too far over my skis but there is a possibility that Carlton has such a blowup year that this is it. If he averages 18 and 10 how is he staying?
dont worry about that. the important thing is he stays healthy and out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Good god are you kidding?

pj

Reaction Score

That's what's known as a good problem to have. If the staff is taking 3* players and turning them into early-departure NBA draft picks in a few years, that's a huge feather in their cap, one they'll celebrate hugely along with Josh.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Carlton is fantastic and will hopefully be a dominant big for us this year, but does not have the skillset that is used in the NBA today.

Reaction Score
During his progression he consistently put in close shots from odd angles below and a bit away from the hoop. Stronger, he’ll be dropping them in even easier from closer to and above the rim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom