Nice Article on Bazz re: Calhoun's retirement | The Boneyard

Nice Article on Bazz re: Calhoun's retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Surprised how close Bazz was to transferring... thank god he stayed. I can only imagine the meltdown that would have occurred here if he transferred.

Shabazz staying was vital as the program was in the midst of a lot of transition... a new conference, new AD, and new HC.

Shabazz's loyalty is another reason why he, IMO, should be a Husky of Honor. By April, I think most will agree.

Reaction Score
Guys in line for a monster season. If he's in the best shape of his life, he'll literally be able to dominate. Also, I like how Duffy made storrs sound like a hoop factory.

Reaction Score
Bazz is such a refreshing interview - it's a breath of fresh air listening to someone who actually speaks his mind.

I'm gonna miss watching him in a UConn uni, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Anyone else suprised the coaching staff didn't tell the players prior to the announcement? That's a very Edsally way to do it.

Napier has to be in the Huskies of Honor. If he has a monster season he has a chance to surpass Chris Smith's career scoring mark.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
..If he has a monster season he has a chance to surpass Chris Smith's career scoring mark.

I found this hard to believe so I had to do the math. IF we play every game possible (I'm assuming we aren't in the bottom four of the conference) by reaching the AAC and NCAA Finals, Napier will need to average almost 23 pts/gm to eclipse Smith. Not impossible, but I'd be surprised if his average is that high.

Reaction Score
Just to put this into perspective for the folks freaking out about recruiting, a reclassified Shabazz Napier was no better than the fifth option at point guard in the late signing period in 2010 - let alone whoever we missed out on in the early signing period. And now we're trying to figure out how many points he needs to pass Chris Smith.

Reaction Score
Bazz is certainly a warrior.
I know he agonized over JC's retirement, but I wasn't aware of the extent of his anguish.

So glad he chose to stay & hope he has the senior season we all know he is capable of...

Reaction Score
Out of the volumes of stuff I have read on the guy,
if I had to pick one statement that I think captures Calhoun it is the one in that
link. Provided, of course, by Calhoun.

" Calhoun said. "My attitude is, when I came here (in 1986), we had a fight.
"And I'm still here, and we still have a fight."

Reaction Score
Kevin Duffy@KevinRDuffy 52m
Some Calhoun tidbits omitted from my story. On state of UConn athletics: "We're in real good shape, but we've got work to do -- no question"

Kevin Duffy@KevinRDuffy 50m
Calhoun:"We're one of top athletic programs in country. Are we in top 15? No, not right now. We're going to need help on the football field"

Kevin Duffy@KevinRDuffy 48m
Calhoun: "We don't want to be competitive in our league, we want to dominate it. We don't want to just play on TV, we want every game on TV"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom