Nice Article: Coach Asjha Jones | The Boneyard

Nice Article: Coach Asjha Jones

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She talks her journey to an Assistant Coach for the WNBA Champs and how labor intensive it is.

"Towards the end of my career, Coach T would ask me if I thought about coaching,” Jones said. ‘I’d say, ‘No. There’s no way, absolutely not. I don’t know how you do this job.’ After I retired he called me and said, ‘What do you think? Do you want to give it a try?’ There was a position he was creating with his team that would give me an opportunity to try it and see if I liked it. I told him, ‘You know what? I’ll try it.’

“The first year was difficult adjusting to the schedule. It’s a lot more hours coaching than playing. There’s a different kind of preparation and it was tough for me at first. It wasn’t physical, but cerebral, doing planning and player development. But by the end of the season I enjoyed being a part of the team. That part you miss when you’re not around it. I enjoyed being around it because it is who I am. I tried to act like it wasn’t for so long but it is who I am. That’s what I’m good at.

“So at the end of my first year I knew, ‘I can do this.’ Now I need to get better at it. It got in me and now every year it sinks in a little more. So I’ll be back for a third year.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Money quote from Geno of course

“For me it is always great when former players end up being coaches, because while you’re a player you think, ‘Anybody can do that job. Just give me the ball, coach. Put me in position, and I’m good.’ Hell, I had two guards on the national team who told me every day they could coach better than me.”

I wonder who thought that ? ;);)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom