Nice Article About Our Seniors | The Boneyard

Nice Article About Our Seniors

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I just stumbled into it and maybe you'll enjoy it and the article's pix of the buddies for life.

"As freshman, Gabby and Kia latched on to each other, becoming friends as well as teammates and riding out this remarkable journey together. They’ve dazzled us with their skill, impressed us with their effort and blown us away with their ability to win in ways that no one expected. They are the heart and soul of this team that has been an absolute joy to watch. We will miss them terribly next year."

Gabby and Kia: The End of an Era - A Dime Back

gabby-and-kia.jpg

Reaction Score
Loved it, thanks. So happy for them, but I'm soooo gonna miss them after this April.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In October 2016, I grossly underestimated these two. I knew that we would miss them when they left, but I thought they were replaceable.

I saw Kia as a solid defender, but a bit of a bull in a china shop on the dribble. Over the next 2 years, she learned to play under control and added Ray Allen-like shooting to her lockdown defense. I can’t think of any player who combines elite shooting with elite defense as well as Kia.

I saw Gabby as a player with great athleticism who could defend and compete on the boards. Even though she had a nice increase in FT shooting as a sophomore, she was still limited on offense. Since then, she has become a bit of Dr. J. and a bit of Magic Johnson. She does things that no one else her size has ever done.

I’ll miss them while appreciating their legacy. I think Lou, Pheesa, and Crystal know how to follow in the footsteps of their senior teammates. For the rest of the team, the more they can emulate Kia and/or Gabby, the more successful they will be.

The next phase of the season begins tomorrow evening. I’m going to savor what our seniors can do.

Reaction Score
And I will miss the "Kia and Gabby Show" at Gampel. They have taken on the role of grabbing a mic and announcing winners of fan/student raffles after the game. Inevitably there is some joking and discussion usually with Kia prodding the students to come back next time and bring their friends. They often skipped or pirouetted away (mostly Kia). Will miss that pair!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Such strong young women. Great role models. Extended family. CD said in Birth of a Dynasty that we, as fans, see the Huskies as our kids and I can say that has become how I see them more and more. Our access has grown so much and I'm sure that contributes pretty mightily to the identifying with "our girls". Hard to say good bye to them. Made harder by what so many grads have said about their UConn experience: the best 4 years of their lives.

“I am just trying to enjoy it, because I know I am never going to have anything like this again,” Williams said. “It’s fun and you go through a lot too. It’s a lot of responsibility and it doesn’t come easy, because if it was, there would be a lot of teams that would have done what we’ve done."

UConn's Gabby Williams a rare 5-tool talent

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What makes it all the more amazing is that Gabby and Kia were ranked I believe the 11th and 33rd top high school recruits the year that they came to Connecticut. Mention that stat the next time someone drones on about how UConn always gets the best players. No, Geno gets the best PEOPLE, and turns them into the best players. These two are the definitive case study on that. And now, in their senior year, they are the essential duo that binds their team together and has them on track as the favorite to win another national championship. How can you not just love this program and this year's seniors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom