NHT: Has anyone ever turned into a football game because he wanted to listen to an announcer? | The Boneyard

NHT: Has anyone ever turned into a football game because he wanted to listen to an announcer?

Reaction Score
I never have. It doesn't matter who the announcers are, some are bad some are good. But regardless of who the announcers are, I pick the games I want to watch by looking at which teams are playing and those are the games I watch.

Does anyone look at the announcers and decide that is the game I will watch regardless of the teams involved?

Reaction Score
Yes, In the heyday of Monday Night Football (70s), Frank Gifford, Don Meredith and Howard Cosell were sometimes a bigger attraction than the games. Cosell's halftime highlights narrations were outstanding. I dont think there are any announcing teams today that come close to that.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I rarely shut off the mute these days.

Reaction Score
I never watched a football game purely for the announcers even for Madden and Summerall. I pick games based on the matchup of the teams. If the announcing is too bad, I mute. I never understood paying announcers' exorbitant salaries, but I am not a casual fan.

Reaction Score
Yes, for the NY Giants - Marty Glickman (I was a very young kid) and Dick Lynch. I would turn on the radio and turn off the sound on the TV.
Last game of the 1970 season. For some reason, the game wasn't broadcast locally.
Giants need a win & a Cowboys loss to make the NFC Playoffs. Trailing with 49 ticks on the clock, Fran Tarkenton engineers a triple reverse for the winning touchdown. I thought that Marty G. was having a coronary event while calling that play...

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Only when Kieth Jackson was calling the games, didn't really matter who was playing, he was just fun to listen to. Now, I'll watch if I want to see a team win (or if Notre Dame or Alabama are losing).

Reaction Score
Last game of the 1970 season. For some reason, the game wasn't broadcast locally.
Giants need a win & a Cowboys loss to make the NFC Playoffs. Trailing with 49 ticks on the clock, Fran Tarkenton engineers a triple reverse for the winning touchdown. I thought that Marty G. was having a coronary event while calling that play...
Great recollection! And you may recall that Marty Glickman was the UConn mens basketball radio play by play announcer for a season in the 70s. To this day I have a clear recollection of listening to him call a UConn game from Tulsa, OK (for whatever reason I remember that one).

Reaction Score
What prompted this discussion?

The multi-million dollar salaries of guys like Romo and Brady. I mean really. People tune in because of them?

The reason only reason I watch a football (or basketball or hockey) game is the teams involved. Change the announcers and it doesn't matter. I will still watch the game. The announcers never entered into my decision to watch the game. Many times I have no idea who the announcers are.

I have never watched a game I'm not interested in because Marty Glickman or John Madden or Howard Cosell or Tony Romo was in the booth. I was curious if other people felt the same way.

Reaction Score
Never. It's all about the team playing. Which is why I dont understand the Brady contract.
Maybe, if there are two college games that i have mild interest in, i"ll watch the game with Gus Johnson.

Reaction Score
The multi-million dollar salaries of guys like Romo and Brady. I mean really. People tune in because of them?

The reason only reason I watch a football (or basketball or hockey) game is the teams involved. Change the announcers and it doesn't matter. I will still watch the game. The announcers never entered into my decision to watch the game. Many times I have no idea who the announcers are.

I have never watched a game I'm not interested in because Marty Glickman or John Madden or Howard Cosell or Tony Romo was in the booth. I was curious if other people felt the same way.
Yeah i think that is insane money to pay an announcer.

Reaction Score
I enjoy listening to Al Michaels, Tony Romo, and Troy Aikman. Can't stand Daryl Johnston and Greg Olsen - not sure if they're still in the booth.
Good announcers can make an average game more enjoyable/entertaining and I stay tuned in longer. Annoying announcers can make an average game boring and I eventually find something else to do.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah i think that is insane money to pay an announcer.
You could put Roseanne and RuPaul in the booth and people will tune in because it's football.

Yes, In the heyday of Monday Night Football (70s), Frank Gifford, Don Meredith and Howard Cosell were sometimes a bigger attraction than the games. Cosell's halftime highlights narrations were outstanding. I dont think there are any announcing teams today that come close to that.
That was when MNF was appointment TV. It was fun watching Meredith try to get under Howard's skin by playing the dumb rube and Howard's retorts. All part of the fun - they changed what a broadcast booth could be.

But, you didn't tune in for them. They just had the only game on Monday night so you were going to tune in anyway. But they made it more fun than say, Curt Gowdy and Merlin Olsen would've.

That said, I have checked out a Manning cast on a game I probably wouldn't have watched. Same with Diana and Sue.

Reaction Score
I never have. It doesn't matter who the announcers are, some are bad some are good. But regardless of who the announcers are, I pick the games I want to watch by looking at which teams are playing and those are the games I watch.

Does anyone look at the announcers and decide that is the game I will watch regardless of the teams involved?
The announcer cost for guys like Romo, Aikman, Buck, and Brady is outrageous.

The talent recruitment people should all be fired.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Only when Kieth Jackson was calling the games, didn't really matter who was playing, he was just fun to listen to. Now, I'll watch if I want to see a team win (or if Notre Dame or Alabama are losing).
“Whoooaa Nelllllly!!!! Here comes Vince Dooley and the Georgia Bulldogs between the hedges!”

Reaction Score
I'd put it this way. Certain announcers can greatly enhance the enjoyment of whatever game you're watching. And their assignment can reflect on the perceived importance of a game. I don't get those who say they like watching with the sound off. It's like saying they love going to a college football game but don't care about the marching band. Announcers enhance a broadcast and the marching band adds a tremendous amount of spirit to college football.

Reaction Score

I used to love listening to Keith Jackson and dare I say Howard Cosell when they covered college football.

They added something that you don’t get nowadays.

Cosell was memorable when he called the 1973 Sugar Bowl between Notre Dame and Alabama.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom