NHL/D1 Hockey Feasibility Study | The Boneyard

NHL/D1 Hockey Feasibility Study

Reaction Score
USF might be looking to go D1 hockey. Jeff Vinick, the Lightning owner, might donate $$$ to them. Pasco County just built 3 hockey arenas in a sports complex.

Reaction Score
Any chance we can get money for an arena out of this?

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know which other schools are being studied. Countless possibilities.

Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there, Some speculation that the Pens are working with Pitt and they have a Pegula like donor lined up.

Reaction Score
USF might be looking to go D1 hockey. Jeff Vinick, the Lightning owner, might donate $$$ to them. Pasco County just built 3 hockey arenas in a sports complex.
A dancing partner for UA-Huntsville!

Reaction Score
They can study things all they want, but without major donations thees programs won't start up. Hockey's an incredibly expensive sport to start between building a rink, maintaining it, player equipment, buying and maintaining Zambonis, etc. Without an existing facility of good caliber or a $100M+ investment, they can study all they want but it won't go anywhere.

Reaction Score
Right. You absolutely need a facility and if you even if you use an existing arena like XL you need another for practice. I could see say Pitt doing that but do they have a practice facility? Syracuse looked into it a few years back and decided not to go forward.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Right. You absolutely need a facility and if you even if you use an existing arena like XL you need another for practice. I could see say Pitt doing that but do they have a practice facility? Syracuse looked into it a few years back and decided not to go forward.

'Cuse has a D1 Women's program, which surprised me. I'm guessing the requirements are set a little lower for a women's hockey program though. The fact that Michigan doesn't have a D1 women's program is pretty surprising too.

Pitt doesn't have anything. They play their club hockey about 20 miles from campus. They don't have much of a tradition either. Pitt - Johnstown has a really strong club program and tradition. I'd see them going before Pitt. FWIW, Robert Morris has an absolutely incredible facility, the bar is set pretty high there.

It's always seemed weird that the University of Pennsylvania doesn't have a D1 ice hockey program, given how strong the rest of the Ivy's are. They used to, but dropped it in the late 70s. They have a decent on campus arena that could be upgraded. Delaware has a great on campus facility, they're almost ready to go, as is, facility wise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom