NFOY candidate: Chennedy Carter of Texas A&M | The Boneyard

NFOY candidate: Chennedy Carter of Texas A&M

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Carter scored 30 points (on 12-of-18 shooting) and dished 7 assists in A&M's rout over Texas Tech today.

She's been leading her team in both scoring (> 20 ppg) and assists (about 5 per game).

This young woman is not a star in the making. She is already.

Reaction Score
that's the advantage of being a first year starter for a less then stellar team...................impossible for Megan Walker to put up numbers like that in her limited minutes.....................UConn recruits sacrifice first year honors for four years of possible national championship rings.................the other good news is that AA honors are there for the taking from sophomore year on.................

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
that's the advantage of being a first year starter for a less then stellar team....impossible for Megan Walker to put up numbers like that in her limited minutes......UConn recruits sacrifice first year honors for four years of possible national championship rings.......the other good news is that AA honors are there for the taking from sophomore year on.......

Unless your name is Maya Moore.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Carter scored 30 points (on 12-of-18 shooting) and dished 7 assists in A&M's rout over Texas Tech today.
She's been leading her team in both scoring (> 20 ppg) and assists (about 5 per game).
This young woman is not a star in the making. She is already.
I believe someone predicted Chennedy as (NFOY) a while back.
Chennedy Carter will be National Freshmen of the year, TA&M will have plenty of shots available for her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe someone predicted Chennedy as (NFOY) a while back.
You weren't the only one. Once I saw her in the Jordan Brand game, I figured she would be a starter this year and have the ball in her hands a lot, which are keys for becoming the NFOY. I think the top 3 freshmen last year were Slocum, Ionescu, and Holmes. Two of them are scoring PGs. I'd still take Crystal over any of them.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
that's the advantage of being a first year starter for a less then stellar team....impossible for Megan Walker to put up numbers like that in her limited minutes......UConn recruits sacrifice first year honors for four years of possible national championship rings.......the other good news is that AA honors are there for the taking from sophomore year on.......

The jump from freshman year to sophomore year has become pretty standard for Huskies who were highly touted recruits:

KLS-role player as freshmen, 1st AA as sophomores
Collier-role player as freshmen, 1st AA as sophomores
Stewart-2nd in BE FOY voting, NPOY as a sophomore
Taurasi-2nd in BE FOY voting, 2nd AA as a sophomore
Jefferson-role player as freshman, no significant hardware as a sophomore, but she was much improved
Hartley-role player as freshman, earned some AA honors as a sophomore
KML-very good scorer but no AA honors as a freshman, 2nd AA as a sophomore
Abrosimova-no AA honors as a freshman, AA honors as a sophomore

Most of those players were either #1 recruits or top 10. The only outlier is Abrosimova, who would've been a top 5 recruit had she played HS ball in the states. Dangerfield looks on track to join this list if she can keep up her stellar play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The jump from freshman year to sophomore year has become pretty standard for Huskies who were highly touted recruits:

Jefferson-role player as freshman, no significant hardware as a sophomore, but she was much improved

Most of those players were either #1 recruits or top 10. The only outlier is Abrosimova, who would've been a top 5 recruit had she played HS ball in the states. Dangerfield looks on track to join this list if she can keep up her stellar play.
I'd also add Morgan Tuck to this distinguished list.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I'd also add Morgan Tuck to this distinguished list.

Tuck’s big jump happened her junior year and she wasn’t an AA until her senior season. Her sophomore year she played a few games before getting injured but wasn’t near the player she was as a junior. Technically she had sophomore eligibility in 2014-15, but I’d still consider that her junior season considering she stayed at Connecticut four years and did play all 4 years, even if it was just for a few games as a sophomore.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tuck’s big jump happened her junior year and she wasn’t an AA until her senior season. Her sophomore year she played a few games before getting injured but wasn’t near the player she was as a junior. Technically she had sophomore eligibility in 2014-15, but I’d still consider that her junior season considering she stayed at Connecticut four years and did play all 4 years, even if it was just for a few games as a sophomore.
Tuck's academic Junior year was really her playing sophomore year due to the injury and she should have been named an AA that season. Come on, she only played in 8 games as an academic sophomore.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Tuck's academic Junior year was really her playing sophomore year due to the injury and she should have been named an AA that season. Come on, she only played in 8 games as an academic sophomore.

True, but the original point was that the listed players were able to make the big leap in the offseason after their freshman season. Tuck made hers a year and a half after her freshman season concluded. In the games she played as an academic sophomore, she didn't show any signs of having made that jump from freshman to All American. I wouldn't include her in the 'sophomore jump' group since her time frame is different than everyone listed above. If you look at players who improved significantly their junior season, I'd put her, Tina Charles, Swin Cash and Stefanie Dolson in that group.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Don’t be surprised to see Alexis Morris get recognition soon. It will be harder for her to put up huge scoring numbers since BU’s offense is so post-oriented, but Morris will soon be running the PG position and will wow a lot of folks.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
After watching Morris tonight I am convinced she is the best freshman in the country. She runs the offense like she has been doing it for years, has an incredible handle, is the fastest player I have seen since Jefferson, can get to the rack and shoot the pull up jumper with ease. The FT line jumper is hers basically whenever she wants it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

KLS was a starter for most of her freshman year. She did not start in the NC game because of her injury.

Reaction Score
Sound fair to say Moore has been the best freshman to play at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Chennedy Carter is the best freshman I have seen this year in WCB. Morris will be great too. They are both higher impact players than Dana Evans at Louisville. Carter can score so many ways. She is built compact and is really strong and gets great clearance on her jumper in traffic. She was unguardable vs USC .

Reaction Score
Chennedy Carter is the best freshman I have seen this year in WCB. Morris will be great too. They are both higher impact players than Dana Evans at Louisville. Carter can score so many ways. She is built compact and is really strong and gets great clearance on her jumper in traffic. She was unguardable vs USC .

I agree on Carter. After her debut in the u18 championship I knew she was the real deal. I'm not so sure Morris is a higher impact player then Evans though. She leads Louisville in apg and a complete upgrade at PG then Jackson and the Loyola transfer from last year. Looking back on Evans' recent ESPN article I think a lot of freshmen (Walker, Westbrook, Carter, Jackson, Morris, Evans, etc) could all provide meaningful minutes to help lead their team to a FF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom