NFL finds 11 of 12 balls deflated per ESPN | The Boneyard

NFL finds 11 of 12 balls deflated per ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What you think should be the penalties issued to the patriots after the NFL found that 11 out of 12 ball balls were deflated allegedly by the patriots?

Reaction Score
Nothing that threatens Super Bowl revenue. Other than that everything is on the table.

Reaction Score
What you think should be the penalties issued to the patriots after the NFL found that 11 out of 12 ball balls were deflated allegedly by the patriots?
So have they PROVED the Patriots did it? Even though the officials hold the ball after every play?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Anyone else think that cold temps reduced the air presure in the balls? The same thing happens to my tire pressure every winter.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Anyone else think that cold temps reduced the air presure in the balls? The same thing happens to my tire pressure every winter.
PV = nRT. Reducing the temperature (T) does reduce pressure (P) in a given volume (V). R is a constant. The weight of the ball comes from the container (i.e., the pigskin) and the amount of air which is related to n, the number of moles (if you don't want to revisit chemistry just think of it as the number of air molecules). If the temperature changes up or down, as long as no air leaks out and no air is added in, the weight should not change.

Reaction Score
They would have never lost the game but the guy always needs the "edge". He's a cheat a** and should be reprimanded for a year!

Reaction Score
PV = nRT. Reducing the temperature (T) does reduce pressure (P) in a given volume (V). R is a constant. The weight of the ball comes from the container (i.e., the pigskin) and the amount of air which is related to n, the number of moles (if you don't want to revisit chemistry just think of it as the number of air molecules). If the temperature changes up or down, as long as no air leaks out and no air is added in, the weight should not change.

You're giving me flash backs to Thermodynamics I

Reaction Score
How many coincidences is one allowed to have? Obviously it didn't impact the game but where there's smoke there's fire. People drink the Haterade because all we hear about is doing things the "Patriot way" and all of that nonsense. Kraft is a doosh. Bellichick is a grumpy crumudgeon and they have a clear documented history of cheating. Never thought I'd be able to root for Seattle but here I am.

Reaction Score
Said this elsewhere; but...

This had no real impact on the game. Maybe the Pats would have won by just 21 instead of 35; but, the Pats, who had been caught before, are basically waving a big red flag in front of a bull. A major fine and loss of draft picks as a result of SpyGate clearly did not do much. Plus, what team would not give up some cash and a few draft picks to play in the Super Bowl? The only thing that the Hooded One cares about is winning. So, suspend him from the Super Bowl. That should get Coach Belichick's attention.

Reaction Score
If they are doing this, what other rules are they pushing to get a teeny tiny edge? It all adds up ...

Reaction Score
The media doesn't like to tell the whole story. Once the ref's checked out the balls at halftime and made adjustments the Pats out scored the Colts 28-0. So the deflated balls actually hurt the Pats.

Reaction Score
The media doesn't like to tell the whole story. Once the ref's checked out the balls at halftime and made adjustments the Pats out scored the Colts 28-0. So the deflated balls actually hurt the Pats.

Obviously missing the point. No one believes these made a difference in the game, the Colts were awful. The question is WHY?

Reaction Score
BB always pushing the limits of what is acceptable. Why? Is the question, perceived advantage is the only logical explanation. Just like he has become a with the media when he always wasn't so, especially in Cleveland. He does things because he can. Winning has changed him. On WFAN, Craig Carton was talking about how friendly the two were when they were both in Cleveland, BB offered him a quality control job that eventually went to Mancini. BB now denies ever meeting Carton, Carton played tapes of their days in Cleveland together. Fascinating listen to be honest.

Great coaches can get away with being Douches. Too many mediocre coaches try this and it blows up in their face as it should.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That's why I talked about air pressure and not weight. Remember Gay-Lussac's Law? (Snicker I said Gay-Loose sack.)
P1/T1 = P2/T2. So the answer to the somewhat rhetorical question is temperature does effect volume.

The NFL's preliminary findings were that 11 of 12 balls were under-inflated by 2 pounds per square inch of air. That's a measurement of air pressure, not weight.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That's why I talked about air pressure and not weight. Remember Gay-Lussac's Law? (Snicker I said Gay-Loose sack.)
P1/T1 = P2/T2. So the answer to the somewhat rhetorical question is temperature does effect volume.

The NFL's preliminary findings were that 11 of 12 balls were under-inflated by 2 pounds per square inch of air. That's a measurement of air pressure, not weight.
We have to see if they also weighed the balls, and also if they allowed the footballs to warm up to controlled temperature before measuring the pressure. Those details weren't in Mortenson's reporting. If they did either one of those the case is pretty airtight (pun intended).

Reaction Score
Pats fan here. If the NFL decides to suspend belichek for all of next year, he will have earned it.

If Belichick did do this, the harshest penalty for him would be to suspend him from the Super Bowl. Imagine good old Teflon Pete hosting the Trophy or, better yet, a substitute Pats coach hoisting the trophy showing the world that 'anyone' can coach this Pats team to the tile. His ego would go nuclear.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The weight difference between a ball filled with 9-11 psi vice 12-13 psi is negligible and for all intents and purposes is zero. I'm curious to see if anyone could do a test see how much better grip a QB could get on an underinflated ball vice a properly inflated ball and convert the grip difference in to an RPM difference on the ball. Being that all the players wear the sticky gloves it shouldn't make any difference in the ability to catch a ball. But an underinflated ball should allow for slightly more contact between finger and ball. Is there enough of a difference to allow the ball to penetrate or drive through the wind and cold better? I really don't think it's any competitive advantage.

All that being said, if the NFL finds out that any Patriots employee tampered with the balls after the refereeing staff checked them, then the Patriots are at the NFL's mercy.

Almost impossible to believe that 11 of 12 Patriots balls were underinflated and all the Colts balls were properly inflated without actual intervention and tampering.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think I'm in the large majority that was amazed to learn that once the referees check the footballs they don't have positive control over them the rest of the way. I can see letting team employees on the sidelines because any tampering is literally in the open and most likely on camera. But not keeping control in the concourse/locker rooms? Beyond odd and easily correctable. Assign one of the judges or umpire duty to take custody of the balls and deliver them in to bins on each sideline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom