Next Woman Up | The Boneyard

Next Woman Up

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In 2004, well-known sportswriter John Feinstein persuaded the Baltimore Ravens to allow him unprecedented access to the team for the entire season from draft day through summer workouts and throughout the regular season. Feinstein wrote a bestselling book based on his experience that proclaimed there was only one certainty in professional football. “Every day someone will have to be the Next Man Up.”

Through multiple injuries to key players, pandemic related illnesses, weather delays and just about any problem you can think of, this season has been a challenge like no other for UConn WBB. But with all the problems that UConn has faced there has been one consistent positive for the team that may pay big dividends come March. As one player after another went down, other players have stepped up and produced time after time. In effect UConn WBB this season has been “Next Woman Up.”

We can all remember the halcyon days this past summer when many UConn fans, including me, were practically giddy talking about the unprecedented roster depth this year’s team would have. But depth on paper is not the same as real depth. Freshmen and even experienced transfers take time to figure things out. Injuries and player departures happen. A month ago, once Covid hit, UConn didn’t even have enough players to field a team.

But through it all something remarkable happened. The team dug down deep. Players adjusted to new roles. Liv, the only player who has started every game, became the rock of this team. Christyn came back from Covid and started to play with renewed energy. Evina willingly accepted a role coming off the bench and her play improved considerably. Dorka figured out how to become an impact player. Nika, who will go down as one of the fiercest competitors in the history of UConn WBB, once again took up the responsibility to run the team at pg. Aaliyah finally showed everyone the player that battered opposing teams last season in her breakout game vs TN.

Then there is Caroline and Azzi. The two freshmen stepped in to become major scoring options when UConn desperately needed more scoring punch. I don’t believe you can find two more impactful freshmen on any team in the country right now, as UConn is playing as well as they have all season, even when you consider that the Huskies are still awaiting the return of last year’s consensus NPOY.

UConn has now rolled out an unprecedented 7 different starting lineups in 19 games. 9 different players have started for the Huskies, and all have had BIG games this season. That’s real depth when everyone is back in the lineup.

The fact that UConn currently has 8 capable players all contributing has bought time for Paige to take all the time she needs to get back to 100%. Once Paige comes back, whether it’s the last few games of the regular season, the BE Tournament or the Big Dance, this UConn team will be, as Azzi said in the postgame presser on Sunday, “A nasty team with everyone healthy.”

Reaction Score
Without doubt, the best post I have ever read on here.
A giddy Geno after the Tenn game also stated that the " Next woman Up" theme will apply to game minutes too, players not contributing, will be sitting.'
He also stated that with 9 players they will go back to full court pressure.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Fantastic post oldude!!!!

What we are witnessing is a team that has met adversity head on. They have battled both injuries and the questioning of the team's abilities and heart. At this point they are a tougher team, a more resilient team. They have shown they can take a punch and hit back harder - ask Creighton. They have shown they can delivery a knockout punch - ask Tennessee.

But most of all they believe in each other. The true meaning of team.

Paige has the time to return to game shape.

The Beast of the East is alive and well.

Reaction Score
Well said @oldude, couldn't agree more, this team has gone through some rough times this season hopefully by the time the tournament(s) begin the team will be whole again...and then watch out.

p.s. thanks for going above and beyond the call of duty and actually include players names. ;)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
We can all remember the halcyon days this past summer when many UConn fans, including me, were practically giddy talking about the unprecedented roster depth this year’s team would have. But depth on paper is not the same as real depth. Freshmen and even experienced transfers take time to figure things out. Injuries and player departures happen. A month ago, once Covid hit, UConn didn’t even have enough players to field a team.
Many many years ago, my HS track coach used to say, on paper, we've got a great team. However, on any given day, it was a "box of chocolates" with our team, with both the track and field events. As seniors, we'd hoot and holler from the back of the bus, "on paper, we baaaaaad", and then learned the lesson that the paper didn't mean a thing. We roasted the coach at the end of the season and I think he retired the phrase and concept of "on paper". Thank goodness.

Reaction Score
Have all the injuries resulted in a silver lining if and when the team is healed? There has been the emergence of CD and Dorka somewhat finding her comfort zone which may not have happened without the need for them to fill some of the gaps caused by injuries. This team appears to go eight deep and will be nine when Paige returns.
In past seasons there has been a vulnerability to a short bench that was exploited by foul trouble or fatigue. Perhaps there is a coaching lesson for future team development, instead of insisting on “complete trust”, Geno may be willing to take some lumps to develop a deeper team?

Reaction Score
Whew! My initial reaction to this thread was who's out now. Who got injured, has covid, or the flu etc. So it was a great relief to see it was a positive post on the turnaround by some of our players by oldude. I certainly hope what we saw vs. Tennessee is what we can expect going forward, and adding Paige to the mix.

I felt the team I was watching looked like a true championship contender, but also feel that for most of the year we have resembled pretenders instead, that we were underachieving vs. expectations even taking all the adversity this season into account. Better late than never as they say, but given the season so far, I want them to turn that game into a consistent output and show that the turnaround has truly happened, and that it wasn't just one good game. I'm not quite there yet but I'm getting close.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Have all the injuries resulted in a silver lining if and when the team is healed? There has been the emergence of CD and Dorka somewhat finding her comfort zone which may not have happened without the need for them to fill some of the gaps caused by injuries. This team appears to go eight deep and will be nine when Paige returns.
In past seasons there has been a vulnerability to a short bench that was exploited by foul trouble or fatigue. Perhaps there is a coaching lesson for future team development, instead of insisting on “complete trust”, Geno may be willing to take some lumps to develop a deeper team?
I don't think the standard of "Absolute Trust" is what Geno uses for players to get some time. Of course, in the tightest moments, that is the standard and his best 5 will be out there but to get some less critical minutes, I think his standard is closer to

Are you doing everything you can in practice to play to the level I think you should be playing at (as measured by Geno, not us)? If not, you don't deserve the minutes. And minutes are the best motivating tool he has. After this stint, I think it is pretty clear, he will not change.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I got to admit I was very surprised Azzi used the term "We will be Nasty" Paige yes, Nika yes but Smiley Azzi? :eek:

Azzi has a bit more edge than I thought. Likey :cool:
Evina said it off mike just before and Azzi parroted it. Then smiled at her like a freshman to her 'mom'

Reaction Score
It certainly has been a unique year, one filled with a adversity, uncertainty, and frustration. Yet here we are. We found an emerging star in Caroline with the heart of a riverboat gambler, an exploding star in a happy faced Azzi, a reborn Evina finally playing the way we knew she could, AE refinding her game and an even more focused and confident Nika who has no problem at all in leading this team and letting it fly. We also have Dorka, a solid contributor, and CW and Liv, with Liv contributing importantly even when she is not scoring. Of the above, the CD and Azzi arrivals are probably the most important but this team has been different in the way the games play out with every new game. You just never know who the "next man" is and that is why we are so darn interesting and likable right now, not to mention not just nasty but also downright dangerous for one really big February UCONN difference- crazy tough defense. Don't focus on the shooting or scoring, focus on the D. It's something they all do together and they all can do consistently every game.

Reaction Score
Great post. Miles and Citron have been equally, if not more, impactful to their team as Freshmen. By no means do I mean that as a slight to Azzi and Caroline, both of whom are destined for greatness at UConn. The best duo since Pheesa and Lou.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great post. Miles and Citron have been equally, if not more, impactful to their team as Freshmen. By no means do I mean that as a slight to Azzi and Caroline, both of whom are destined for greatness at UConn. The best duo since Pheesa and Lou.
Agreed, although it’s hard to consider Miles a true freshman considering that she played a lot of basketball with the Irish last season after graduating from HS early.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Agreed, although it’s hard to consider Miles a true freshman considering that she played a lot of basketball with the Irish last season after graduating from HS early.

Oldude: Not hard for me at all to consider 'Liv a freshman. She played six -- 6 -- games after stepping onto campus at ND. Some might consider Azzi and Sonia's practicing and playing on the U.S.A. U-19 team just as much as an introduction to collegiate ball (practicing with Caitlin Clark and Diamond Johnson could get one ready).

There's a lot of conflicting approaches to this, some even in the ACC. "Back" in 2018-19, Kate Gilbert was a freshman who played well in her first seven (7) games, then was injured for the season. She got a redshirt, came back and was named to the All-ACC frosh team. The difference between she and Miles in the ACC's eyes: Kate didn't play against the ACC. Geesh.

That said, we can probably both a agree that reletive newcomers have helped their teams immensely.
Citron and Miles are in the starting line-up and can't imagine where ND would be without either of them stepping up. Looking forward to U.S.A. u-16 teammate KK Bransford joining 'Liv and "Soni" next year.

Caroline stepped into the void, filled it and built a way to keep climbing for UConn. Now Azzi's got the baton. Well done.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In 2004, well-known sportswriter John Feinstein persuaded the Baltimore Ravens to allow him unprecedented access to the team for the entire season from draft day through summer workouts and throughout the regular season. Feinstein wrote a bestselling book based on his experience that proclaimed there was only one certainty in professional football. “Every day someone will have to be the Next Man Up.”

Through multiple injuries to key players, pandemic related illnesses, weather delays and just about any problem you can think of, this season has been a challenge like no other for UConn WBB. But with all the problems that UConn has faced there has been one consistent positive for the team that may pay big dividends come March. As one player after another went down, other players have stepped up and produced time after time. In effect UConn WBB this season has been “Next Woman Up.”

But through it all something remarkable happened. The team dug down deep. Players adjusted to new roles. Liv, the only player who has started every game, became the rock of this team. Christyn came back from Covid and started to play with renewed energy. Evina willingly accepted a role coming off the bench and her play improved considerably. Dorka figured out how to become an impact player. Nika, who will go down as one of the fiercest competitors in the history of UConn WBB, once again took up the responsibility to run the team at pg. Aaliyah finally showed everyone the player that battered opposing teams last season in her breakout game vs TN.

Then there is Caroline and Azzi. The two freshmen stepped in to become major scoring options when UConn desperately needed more scoring punch. I don’t believe you can find two more impactful freshmen on any team in the country right now, as UConn is playing as well as they have all season, even when you consider that the Huskies are still awaiting the return of last year’s consensus NPOY.

UConn has now rolled out an unprecedented 7 different starting lineups in 19 games. 9 different players have started for the Huskies, and all have had BIG games this season. That’s real depth when everyone is back in the lineup.

The fact that UConn currently has 8 capable players all contributing has bought time for Paige to take all the time she needs to get back to 100%. Once Paige comes back, whether it’s the last few games of the regular season, the BE Tournament or the Big Dance, this UConn team will be, as Azzi said in the postgame presser on Sunday, “A nasty team with everyone healthy.”

I would like to respectfully mention two freshmen at ND, Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron. Citron may have hit the freshman wall recently or ACC teams are game planning for her. Miles is still in the running for NFOY.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I don't give a rats bottom about Miles or Citron. They have no impact on what happens with the Huskies unless we are playing them. You want to bring up a freshman with a bigger impact, you need go no further than our own conference, just look at the young Blue Demon star. I don't want to think about the slugs from South Bend unless we are putting the hurt on them. ;)

Reaction Score
Thanks for the recap. Not really necessary, but thanks anyway. We were all there.
IMO "next man up" is really a baseball term. Feinstein probably stole the term for what he saw in this football clubhouse.
It's the idea that as a batter, you don't need to win the game yourself but just do your job, put up a good at-bat, and give the "baton" to the next man. The "philosophy" promotes fundamental play, teamwork, and being able to trust the next man up.
IMO UConn WCBB has one more major hurdle to leap, and that is handling the situation when everyone is back. The BY has already (of course) discussed minutes lost maybe by CD with playing well and Nika having to sit more. It is a delicate balance. Are "minutes" dilemmas Geno's strength? He's been brilliant through this thing, even with bad losses to GA Tech and OR. He saw the big picture all along. Can he deftly negotiate this next hurdle: what to do when everyone is back. Can't wait to see!

Reaction Score
Oldude: Not hard for me at all to consider 'Liv a freshman. She played six -- 6 -- games after stepping onto campus at ND. Some might consider Azzi and Sonia's practicing and playing on the U.S.A. U-19 team just as much as an introduction to collegiate ball (practicing with Caitlin Clark and Diamond Johnson could get one ready).

There's a lot of conflicting approaches to this, some even in the ACC. "Back" in 2018-19, Kate Gilbert was a freshman who played well in her first seven (7) games, then was injured for the season. She got a redshirt, came back and was named to the All-ACC frosh team. The difference between she and Miles in the ACC's eyes: Kate didn't play against the ACC. Geesh.

That said, we can probably both a agree that reletive newcomers have helped their teams immensely.
Citron and Miles are in the starting line-up and can't imagine where ND would be without either of them stepping up. Looking forward to U.S.A. u-16 teammate KK Bransford joining 'Liv and "Soni" next year.

Caroline stepped into the void, filled it and built a way to keep climbing for UConn. Now Azzi's got the baton. Well done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom