Next up for UConn: @ DePaul 12/31 2:00 pm ET SNY TV | The Boneyard

Next up for UConn: @ DePaul 12/31 2:00 pm ET SNY TV

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn players returned to campus this week after going home for the holidays, including international players Nika Mühl (Croatia) and Dorka Juhász (Hungary). The Huskies’ next game is this Friday at DePaul — its first of three straight road games, including the Jan. 5 game at Georgetown. While this year’s UConn roster is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, the omicron variant is quickly tearing apart the sports world with a handful of NHL, NBA and college football games already canceled. Various collegiate athletic programs, like Yale, have banned fans at games through the end of the year in response to the uptake in positive cases. The Huskies have just three homes games scheduled for the month of January and return to Storrs on Jan. 9 to host Creighton.

Let's look over our glasses at DePaul. Freshman Aneesa Morrow is emerging as their new team leader. For a record seventh consecutive week since the season tipped off, Morrow has been selected BIG EAST Freshman of the Week. The previous record to start a season had been former Connecticut star Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis winning it the first four weeks of the 2011-12 season.

Morrow earned her latest accolade after finishing with 19 points and 10 rebounds in last week's 91-86 loss to No. 20/17 Notre Dame. The Blue Demon rookie is just three shy of the all-time season record of 10 Freshman of the Week awards held by ex-UConn great Maya Moore and current Villanova star Maddy Siegrist. There are nine weeks left in the conference season for the 6-foot, 1-inch DePaul standout to surpass Moore and Siegrist's mark. In addition, Blue Demon teammate Lexi Held was named to the BIG EAST Honor Roll after coming through with 18 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the field and adding four assists against the Fighting Irish. Seton Hall's Sidney Cooks was chosen BIG EAST Player of the Week after posting 17 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks versus Wagner.

Nazlah_Morrow.png

Aneesa Morrow

Morrow notched her ninth double-double of the season which ranks second in the country to the 10 by Baylor's 6-4 NaLyssa Smith. Speaking of the national scene, Morrow begins the week leading all of NCAA Division I in rebounds, is second in offensive rebounds per game, third in field goals, No. 4 in points, No. 6 in steals and No. 12 in blocked shots.

Lest anyone think this breakout freshman is putting up the big numbers against mediocre competition, the former Simeon All-Stater flourished against No. 4/8 Arizona with game highs of 24 points and 16 rebounds. Facing a Kentucky team that was ranked No. 14 in both major polls at the time, Morrow led DePaul to a 94-85 upset with 18 points and a game-high 17 rebounds at Rupp Arena. Her double-double last week against Notre Dame was her third when confronting a Top 25 team. She has been steady as a rock with six consecutive double-doubles and eight in her last nine games.

Morrow enters the final week of 2021 averaging 18.7 points and 12 rebounds over the first 14 games of her collegiate career, helping lead the Blue Demons to an 11-3 record, 3-0 in the BIG EAST.
Four other players are averaging double figures in scoring: Sonya Morris 16.9, Lexi Held 14.1, Deja Church 14.1, and Darrione Rogers 11.1. DePaul is averaging 91.7 ppg.

DePaul's 3 losses have all been to ranked opponents. A 95-75 loss to #24 Texas, a 75-68 loss to #9 Arizona, and a 91-86 loss to #20 Notre Dame. DePaul will face their biggest test of the conference season when Geno's traveling circus comes to town. 1:00 pm CT / 2:00 pm ET.

UConn has "owned" DePaul recently similar to Aaron Rodgers owning the Chicago Bears. Is THIS the year Doug Bruno and his Blue Demons finally gets some redemption, and gives UConn their first BIG East Conference loss since rejoining the conference last year? Will UConn go into Wintrust Arena and take care of business? Will everyone wearing a UConn jersey show up ready to play? :rolleyes:

2021-2022 DePaul preseason notes

2021-2022 DePaul Women's roster - Head coach Doug Bruno 36th year

2021-22 DePaul Women's Basketball Combined Team Statistics All games

Media write up covering their 91-86 lost to Notre Dame on Dec 23

2021-22 UConn Women's Basketball Cumulative Stats

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
UConn players returned to campus this week after going home for the holidays, including international players Nika Mühl (Croatia) and Dorka Juhász (Hungary). The Huskies’ next game is this Friday at DePaul — its first of three straight road games, including the Jan. 5 game at Georgetown. While this year’s UConn roster is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, the omicron variant is quickly tearing apart the sports world with a handful of NHL, NBA and college football games already canceled. Various collegiate athletic programs, like Yale, have banned fans at games through the end of the year in response to the uptake in positive cases. The Huskies have just three homes games scheduled for the month of January and return to Storrs on Jan. 9 to host Creighton.

Let's look over our glasses at DePaul. Freshman Aneesa Morrow is emerging as their new team leader. For a record seventh consecutive week since the season tipped off, Morrow has been selected BIG EAST Freshman of the Week. The previous record to start a season had been former Connecticut star Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis winning it the first four weeks of the 2011-12 season.

Morrow earned her latest accolade after finishing with 19 points and 10 rebounds in last week's 91-86 loss to No. 20/17 Notre Dame. The Blue Demon rookie is just three shy of the all-time season record of 10 Freshman of the Week awards held by ex-UConn great Maya Moore and current Villanova star Maddy Siegrist. There are nine weeks left in the conference season for the 6-foot, 1-inch DePaul standout to surpass Moore and Siegrist's mark. In addition, Blue Demon teammate Lexi Held was named to the BIG EAST Honor Roll after coming through with 18 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the field and adding four assists against the Fighting Irish. Seton Hall's Sidney Cooks was chosen BIG EAST Player of the Week after posting 17 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks versus Wagner.

Nazlah_Morrow.png

Aneesa Morrow

Morrow notched her ninth double-double of the season which ranks second in the country to the 10 by Baylor's 6-4 NaLyssa Smith. Speaking of the national scene, Morrow begins the week leading all of NCAA Division I in rebounds, is second in offensive rebounds per game, third in field goals, No. 4 in points, No. 6 in steals and No. 12 in blocked shots.

Lest anyone think this breakout freshman is putting up the big numbers against mediocre competition, the former Simeon All-Stater flourished against No. 4/8 Arizona with game highs of 24 points and 16 rebounds. Facing a Kentucky team that was ranked No. 14 in both major polls at the time, Morrow led DePaul to a 94-85 upset with 18 points and a game-high 17 rebounds at Rupp Arena. Her double-double last week against Notre Dame was her third when confronting a Top 25 team. She has been steady as a rock with six consecutive double-doubles and eight in her last nine games.

Morrow enters the final week of 2021 averaging 18.7 points and 12 rebounds over the first 14 games of her collegiate career, helping lead the Blue Demons to an 11-3 record, 3-0 in the BIG EAST.
Four other players are averaging double figures in scoring: Sonya Morris 16.9, Lexi Held 14.1, Deja Church 14.1, and Darrione Rogers 11.1. DePaul is averaging 91.7 ppg.

DePaul's 3 losses have all been to ranked opponents. A 95-75 loss to #24 Texas, a 75-68 loss to #9 Arizona, and a 91-86 loss to #20 Notre Dame. DePaul will face their biggest test of the conference season when Geno's traveling circus comes to town. 1:00 pm CT / 2:00 pm ET.

UConn has "owned" DePaul recently similar to Aaron Rodgers owning the Chicago Bears. Is THIS the year Doug Bruno and his Blue Demons finally gets some redemption, and gives UConn their first BIG East Conference loss since rejoining the conference last year? Will UConn go into Wintrust Arena and take care of business? Will everyone wearing a UConn jersey show up ready to play? :rolleyes:

2021-2022 DePaul preseason notes

2021-2022 DePaul Women's roster - Head coach Doug Bruno 36th year

2021-22 DePaul Women's Basketball Combined Team Statistics All games

Media write up covering their 91-86 lost to Notre Dame on Dec 23

2021-22 UConn Women's Basketball Cumulative Stats

Correction: The correct spelling of Morrow's name is "Aneesah."

The correct photo of Aneesah is below. She has a sister on the team: Nazlah.

Aneesha_Morrow.png

Aneesah Morrow

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
DePaul's defense is not good. If UConn does not score over 75 points against them then something really needs to be changed with the offense or with the starters. I believe the UConn team that lost to Louisville is better than the ND team that defeated DePaul. DePaul likes to run and that is the way UConn likes to play.

Reaction Score
DePaul's defense is not good. If UConn does not score over 75 points against them then something really needs to be changed with the offense or with the starters. I believe the UConn team that lost to Louisville is better than the ND team that defeated DePaul. DePaul likes to run and that is the way UConn likes to play.
Change something with the starters? The team has 8 players available, 2 of which who have played a grand total of 18 minutes this season. Effectively the team has 6 players. Not too many options here.

Reaction Score
Hoping (not quite bothering God with prayer) that this game takes plays without a Covid cancellation.

Outsider's view that this is in the top two of you most important remaining games.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Change something with the starters? The team has 8 players available, 2 of which who have played a grand total of 18 minutes this season. Effectively the team has 6 players. Not too many options here.
I know but they can use one of those options. If they have eight players available, then they have three options. Can the bench players be any worse than the starters who continue to have trouble scoring? Against DePaul, DeBerry may be able to help with the scoring. However, I know that won't happen.

Reaction Score
Pace of play concerns me vs DePaul. Only having 8 available bodies is going to be an issue, however if some of the walking wounded are back in action then I would feel less apprehensive.

Reaction Score
Pace of play concerns me vs DePaul. Only having 8 available bodies is going to be an issue, however if some of the walking wounded are back in action then I would feel less apprehensive.

I agree. Pace of play worries me about both teams! Granted we are only playing 8 or 9 players, depending on the who is healthy or not. But coming off a break, for both teams of course our girls have not played in 11 or 12 days, things could be interesting out there on the floor.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree. Pace of play worries me about both teams! Granted we are only playing 8 or 9 players, depending on the who is healthy or not. But coming off a break, for both teams of course our girls have not played in 11 or 12 days, things could be interesting out there on the floor.
Road games can be particularly treacherous this time of year. Lots of holiday break rust to shake off. What happens if the Blue Demons start out FAST, and we don't? Can we recover? They've had THIS game circled on their calendar since the schedule was released. You know UConn will get their best effort. They'll play fast and loose, they have nothing to lose. They've competed hard against the 3 ranked teams they've lost to. The only blowout game they lost was to Texas A&M 95-75. The other two losses (Arizona & Notre Dame) were by 7 and 5 points. UConn needs to play to the horn, and not endure any scoring draughts in the 2nd half, particularly in the 4th quarter.

I'll pay particular attention to Aneesah Morrow. She has 9 double doubles so far this season, and leads the nation in rebounding. Scoring 20+ points in a game is not uncommon for her. How can she do that at 6'1"? Will our team be able to put her in check, or will she be allowed to play unchecked? She's had BIG games against the other ranked teams they've played so far.

Remember, there are 4 other players averaging double figures. UConn had better not take anything for granted in this game. This IS NOT your average DePaul team, and this IS NOT your average UConn team. It would be nice to see Azzi and Nika back in uniform for this game. Still holding out hope for Aubrey Griffin to return soon.

UConn women’s basketball team remains No. 11 in mostly unchanged AP Top 25 poll

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
First time I’ve ever been nervous about playing DePaul. Don’t put me in coach!
You should be. This WILL NOT be your typical or "average" game against DePaul. This Blue Demon team is averaging 91 ppg, and they're at home. How far under that average can UConn hold them? Can our starters stay out of foul trouble? You know what happens when ONO goes to the bench early in the first half with foul trouble. :(

Reaction Score
I know but they can use one of those options. If they have eight players available, then they have three options. Can the bench players be any worse than the starters who continue to have trouble scoring? Against DePaul, DeBerry may be able to help with the scoring. However, I know that won't happen.
You may believe it won't happen and I think that is true or possible. Until she plays, doubtful, we'll never know.
with 8 players the options are few. A lesser coach may play the bench to see what happens.. I watched Edwards, speaking of shooting, fast break to the basket, under the basket throw the ball up, with haste, and blew it. That appears to be the fault of more than a few. Is the Paige loss--that emotional and digging into to their composite psyche?? Basketball players have slumps but rarely forget how to make a layup.

Reaction Score
When you have 12 or more, you have players. When you dwindle down to 8 from those 12, you may not have options. 1, 2, 3 in foul trouble, a definite possibility, what then? Play the 3!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Certainly not everybody, but many posters on different threads are living in the past with talk of "traveling circus" and the like.

If crowds are growing, it may well be the anticipation of the increased possibility of taking down this depleted version of the Husky's...some for the first time.

This and other upcoming games are far from 'gimmes.'

DePaul is regularly a tough out, in any case.

Reaction Score
Uconn is down. The big question for all Uconn WBB fans is--are they OUT? There is super talent galore on the injury list. Will they be sidelined forever (this season?)?. I have my doubts, my hopes, my beliefs Azzi will return before Paige . In that return she has the potential of effectively replacing Paige in scoring and possible PG duties. Muhl in her best days is a very good shooter and quick guard. Add those now suiting up to play--Evina, Caroline, (and awakened) Edwards, Dorka, ONO, I like Uconn's outlook, chances for the rest of the year. Geno may not be much of what in the past was written of him. However, he has a way of working his magic few before or since have done.

Reaction Score
You may believe it won't happen and I think that is true or possible. Until she plays, doubtful, we'll never know.
with 8 players the options are few. A lesser coach may play the bench to see what happens.. I watched Edwards, speaking of shooting, fast break to the basket, under the basket throw the ball up, with haste, and blew it. That appears to be the fault of more than a few. Is the Paige loss--that emotional and digging into to their composite psyche?? Basketball players have slumps but rarely forget how to make a layup.
Funny, I seem to be seeing a lot of missed layups! It’s not restricted to UConn either! Aliyah Boston has nightmares about them. Almost everywhere you look, there are players (good players) missing them! It would be interesting to know if today’s players miss them more than in previous eras?

Reaction Score
Uconn is down. The big question for all Uconn WBB fans is--are they OUT? There is super talent galore on the injury list. Will they be sidelined forever (this season?)?. I have my doubts, my hopes, my beliefs Azzi will return before Paige . In that return she has the potential of effectively replacing Paige in scoring and possible PG duties. Muhl in her best days is a very good shooter and quick guard. Add those now suiting up to play--Evina, Caroline, (and awakened) Edwards, Dorka, ONO, I like Uconn's outlook, chances for the rest of the year. Geno may not be much of what in the past was written of him. However, he has a way of working his magic few before or since have done.
Not sure Nika could ever be described as a “very good shooter”. She is, however, an important piece to have back on the floor.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Certainly not everybody, but many posters on different threads are living in the past with talk of "traveling circus" and the like.

If crowds are growing, it may well be the anticipation of the increased possibility of taking down this depleted version of the Husky's...some for the first time.

This and other upcoming games are far from 'gimmes.'

DePaul is regularly a tough out, in any case.
When was the last time DePaul was a tough out for UConn? This season I can see it but not the past two seasons.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
When was the last time DePaul was a tough out for UConn? This season I can see it but not the past two seasons.
wins of 10 points or under: 2019

Got me there Donald...I went 10 years back and the margin was substantial...
I remember Geno complaining that playing them was tough because they played differently from anyone else...but the scores do not reflect that.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom